Don't Pay UK

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Being reported that Ravil Maganov, Chairman of the Board of Lukoil, Russia’s 2nd-largest company & one of the world’s largest oil producers, has died after falling out of a window in Moscow In March, the board called for a quick termination of the war & expressed empathy for all victims

‘Accidentally’ fell out of a hospital window whilst receiving treatment for something else. Happens all the time….:whistle::whistle:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
We may buy only 6% from Russia. Say we buy from US. When Russia turns off the tap to Germany, Germany wil try and buy US oil/gas. so cost of US gas goes up and that is the same we are competing for. So overall demand has outstripped supply for non-russian products. Hence we pay more even though we dont buy from Russia directly.

It is the 100% renewable one that gets more irritating, though i think i understand why that goes up. but it is a random irritation for me.

Again I query this readily accepted reason for why the price should go up highly - unless its unacceptable profiteering.Which I suspect.
Buyers are buying from the U .S.
Along comes Germany , and whoever, to buy from the U,S.
Why cannot Germany be sold the gas at the same price the others are paying?
(Don't trot out "supply and demand")
There is no good reason other than unacceptable profiteering. it isn't necessary to put the price up. They could go on selling the gas at the same profit margin that they were selling it at before Germany et al came along.

And if someone replies that the gas is sold "by auction", let me remind that in an auction the highest bidder gets the item. The other bidders don't get it..
If the gas is sold by auction, what Countries are not getting any gas because they haven't bid high enough?........
Exactly.
Like the energy being sold this winter.. If you can and do pay the price they are asking you can have as much gas and electricity as you want..
Do you think anyone is going to be told....You cannot have any gas, even though you have the money.?

Somebody is making, or going to make, a packet.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Again I query this readily accepted reason for why the price should go up highly - unless its unacceptable profiteering.Which I suspect.
There is no good reason other than unacceptable profiteering. it isn't necessary to put the price up. They could go on selling the gas at the same profit margin that they were selling it at before Germany et al came along.

And if someone replies that the gas is sold "by auction", let me remind that in an auction the highest bidder gets the item. The other bidders don't get it..
If the gas is sold by auction, what Countries are not getting any gas because they haven't bid high enough?........
Exactly.
Like the energy being sold this winter.. If you can and do pay the price they are asking you can have as much gas and electricity as you want..
Do you think anyone is going to be told....You cannot have any gas, even though you have the money.?

We are getting ripped off. Simple as that.

I saw a meme on FB showing the amount of Gas we get from Russia compared with France and Germany and how much our relative gas bills have risen.

We get about 4%
France get 14%
Germany get 49%

But gas bills are rising:
U.K. 80%
France 4%
Germany 13%

I took it with a pinch of salt it being FB and had a little dig into it.

Turns out it’s true, this article explains why it’s a predictably depressing catalogue of short sightedness, under investment, lack of storage and privatisation.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/...gy-prices-how-does-the-uk-compare-with-europe

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Exactly.

Very good post. Nail on head.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I saw a meme on FB showing the amount of Gas we get from Russia compared with France and Germany and how much our relative gas bills have risen.

We get about 4%
France get 14%
Germany get 49%

U.K. 80%
France 4%
Germany 13%

Turns out it’s true, this article explains why it’s a predictably depressing catalogue of short sightedness, under investment, lack of storage and privatisation.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/...gy-prices-how-does-the-uk-compare-with-europe

Because the govt in France and Germany care about citizens. I could say something about ours, but Fragger will come around on his infraction horse..

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

We get about 4%
France get 14%
Germany get 49%

U.K. 80%
France 4%
Germany 13%

Is that the France that gets most of it's electricy from nuclear? It's not really possible to compare the 2 to be fair, but I guess it's easy clickbait.
EDF is state owned, it's a lot more complex than just freezing the price. It will need paying for in the end....

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is that the France that gets most of it's electricy from nuclear? It's not really possible to compare the 2 to be fair, but I guess it's easy clickbait.
EDF is state owned, it's a lot more complex than just freezing the price. It will need paying for in the end....

Why should we not compare?

Seems like France had the foresight not to put all its eggs in one basket with nuclear and we chose to flog everything off…ironically to the French (EDF)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not really to do where they get their electric from because electric is charged at an international rate regardless if its nuclear , coal or renewables ( which is why people are confused why their wind and solar supply still go up) it's that the French government own edf and told them to swallow up the rises and cap it at 4%

We don't own ours

Id like us as a nation move to non for profit companies for energy, transport,water and telecoms .. so profits go back into the network and not to share holders

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not really to do where they get their electric from because electric is charged at an international rate regardless if its nuclear , coal or renewables ( which is why people are confused why their wind and solar supply still go up) it's that the French government own edf and told them to swallow up the rises and cap it at 4%

We don't own ours

Id like us as a nation move to non for profit companies for energy, transport,water and telecoms .. so profits go back into the network and not to share holders

You and your lefty ideas ??

Boris has ok-ed the Sizewell-C nuclear plant.. funnily blames short terminuses of politicians for not thinking about energy esp those from Labour and LD..

https://apple.news/AvJtseuUVQ72ybCnf3GMqgA

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

We don't own ours

And it's the French taxpayer who will end up footing the bill...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Latest from Martin Lewis https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#hiya

Again he's having to explain that there is NO cap on the amount your energy use could cost you. I don't understand why people don't realise this.
...because too many news outlets (I exclude all BBC outlets from this) loosely and simply describe the cap in ££££s terms, without the necessary conditionality.