Don't Pay UK

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It won't matter to the rich people who are making the decisions

You might well be right however traditionally an increase is prices etc has tended to be limited to the lowest earners but these caps are affecting a huge number of people who’ve never given rises much of a thought. Remember, the price cap is only a cap on the unit price so households can easily be paying well over these yearly prices as they’re based on ‘average’ usage.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You might well be right however traditionally an increase is prices etc has tended to be limited to the lowest earners but these caps are affecting a huge number of people who’ve never given rises much of a thought. Remember, the price cap is only a cap on the unit price so households can easily be paying well over these yearly prices as they’re based on ‘average’ usage.

Thanks for that, I had no idea.........
I'm out before I get Fraggered :mad:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does it matter, if people can't afford to pay the increase in October, they sure as hell won't be able to afford any increase in January

But help is coming and the tax cut will unleash our global ambitions.. Also we need to pay higher prices because others are paying with blood. Also freezing prices is a handout which we cant be seen as doing

Random Question.... If Putin decides to go back home tomorrow, will we see prices & caps come down.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But help is coming and the tax cut will unleash our global ambitions.. Also we need to pay higher prices because others are paying with blood. Also freezing prices is a handout which we cant be seen as doing

Random Question.... If Putin decides to go back home tomorrow, will we see prices & caps come down.

No.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why? we are being told that the price is rising because of the war. So if the war comes to an end, what is the new reason..

I'd imagine there would be another reason/excuse or possibly the knock on affect of the war. I read the other day that only a very small % of gas does actually come from Russia.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why? we are being told that the price is rising because of the war. So if the war comes to an end, what is the new reason..

Initially they’ll claim that they’re buying the gas in advance at the higher price so there won’t be an immediate reduction. I also suspect it’ll be similaR to fuel prices….’rocket and feather’

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you've already answered that with your opening sentence. Whilst there are bound to be a number who decide to refuse to pay as a protest that number is likely to be dwarfed by those who simply cannot pay and that number will increase considerably in January when we have the next increase.

It amazes me that those in power still trot out the line of the help that's coming (£400.00 etc) for the winter that was based on a cap of £1,900 odd. The cap is already 80% up on that and expected to be another 50% in January.

I wish it were 19%, the current prediction is a 51% increase.
It really shouldn't. The truth and actuality of the situation is probably just too daunting and it will be difficult to comprehend, never mind come up with, any solution within the normal scheme of support or policy. It's tough I grant you, but they are there to deal with the difficult stuff they'd rather not have to deal with, as well as the easy stuff and the stuff they like to sort.

Given we must be expected to pay at least what we have been paying before the costs starting rocketing, maybe even most of what we are paying now, that is why I suggest a scheme of similar nature to the student loan scheme (that essentially is repaid as if its an additional tax that students with a loan pay) is an option that might work for most, if not all, of us. Maybe just call it the Consumer Power Loan - and manage repayments like a tax.

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It really shouldn't. The truth and actuality of the situation is probably just too daunting and it will be difficult to comprehend, never mind come up with, any solution within the normal scheme of support or policy. It's tough I grant you, but they are there to deal with the difficult stuff they'd rather not have to deal with, as well as the easy stuff and the stuff they like to sort.

Given we must be expected to pay at least what we have been paying before the costs starting rocketing, maybe even most of what we are paying now, that is why I suggest a scheme of similar nature to the student loan scheme (that essentially is repaid as if its an additional tax that students with a loan pay) is an option that might work for most, if not all, of us. Maybe just call it the Consumer Power Loan - and manage repayments like a tax.

While your solution is a sensible option, i think we are asking consumers to pay the price for collective govt failure to invest in energy security. Unlike a student loan, doing a consumer power loan is logistical challenge. Assume every household owe the govt 25k at the end of next year.
What happens when pensioner dies but a student lives on... Does the young one carry the load into the future? What happens when the household breaks up via divorce? who has to pay the loan back. What happens when you downsize or upsize your home? Do you inherit the cost associated with the new house or do u carry the debt around. Student loan is relatively simple. A young 25yr old coming out of Uni, is expected to live an earning life and is named as the responsible person. Consumer/Household loan more difficult. (ps: Just my opinion)

It is easier to manage the loan at the energy company.. similar to what we did to the banks. Take a stake in Natwest for XX billions. Then paid it back/made profit.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's pretty frightening really that after everything he's put out he still has to explain it.

Because we now live in a post-truth world... we are being conditioned to not believe anything that does not agree with our narrative or beliefs... apparently it is Us against Them (even if it is Them telling us that)... Martin Lewis has been crying wolf for some time, and no one listens to him anymore..

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's pretty frightening really that after everything he's put out he still has to explain it.

What I find really frightening is the amount of abuse he gets on Twitter, all he’s doing is scaremongering etc etc. There’s a lot of deluded people out there with their heads firmly in the sand.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What I find really frightening is the amount of abuse he gets on Twitter, all he’s doing is scaremongering etc etc. There’s a lot of deluded people out there with their heads firmly in the sand.

We have trained people to put blinkers on... despite the self harm, they will call it scaremongering, project fear etc.... this is the post-truth world.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because we now live in a post-truth world... we are being conditioned to not believe anything that does not agree with our narrative or beliefs... apparently it is Us against Them (even if it is Them telling us that)... Martin Lewis has been crying wolf for some time, and no one listens to him anymore..

I don't really believe that, I'd guess more do believe what he says as he's been pretty accurate/helpful for years now. I think (without getting political) people question the info from the government more than from people like him.

As Chellie said which I totally agree with is that he puts the information out there, with explanations and even how to calculate the increases yet despite this people still underestimate their DD amount purely based on the increase rather their individual usage.

D

Deleted member 18121

Same thing is happening with home fuel that happened with petrol/diesel...... they're now talking about freezing prices for the next 2 years, like that's doing us a favour. Then we'll all have forgotton how cheap energy was and the current prices will be normalised.

Remember when fuel prices were 90p or even £1.20....... those days are long gone.

The part I'm truly struggling to fully get to grips with, is despite Russia accounting for only 6% of our energy supply, everywhere has gone up in price by X amount... including renewable tariffs.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same thing is happening with home fuel that happened with petrol/diesel...... they're now talking about freezing prices for the next 2 years, like that's doing us a favour. Then we'll all have forgotton how cheap energy was and the current prices will be normalised.

Remember when fuel prices were 90p or even £1.20....... those days are long gone.

The part I'm truly struggling to fully get to grips with, is despite Russia accounting for only 6% of our energy supply, everywhere has gone up in price by X amount... including renewable tariffs.

Totally agree.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree.

We may buy only 6% from Russia. Say we buy from US. When Russia turns off the tap to Germany, Germany wil try and buy US oil/gas. so cost of US gas goes up and that is the same we are competing for. So overall demand has outstripped supply for non-russian products. Hence we pay more even though we dont buy from Russia directly.

It is the 100% renewable one that gets more irritating, though i think i understand why that goes up. but it is a random irritation for me.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Agree, I said at the very start of this rise in energy bills that my worry is that it’d become the new normal. Even if prices did drop it’d be way above what we were paying 12 months or so ago. I remember when petrol first hit the £1 mark and in our local area there were queues to get it. People barely bat an eyelid when it went £1.50 and beyond. Same thing will happen with energy.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being reported that Ravil Maganov, Chairman of the Board of Lukoil, Russia’s 2nd-largest company & one of the world’s largest oil producers, has died after falling out of a window in Moscow In March, the board called for a quick termination of the war & expressed empathy for all victims