Does your handicap matter to you?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a relevant newcomer to the game and have only held a handicap since April. It matters but only as bragging rights over mates really as we're all relative newcomers.

Long term I'd like to get to single figures but with a young family and picking the game up too late etc I'm not sure I ever will.
Having a low cap is really nice .but you must be able to play to it most of the time.
If you can’t it’s very frustrating.
To many people with Hollywood handicaps just to qualify for certain comps then shoot in the 80s see it every year at our Rose Bowl.
I will be playing until I snuff it,can’t ever see me giving up unless forced to ,illness etc.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used to start every comp with the thought, “I want to beat my handicap.” When that wasn’t possible it was, “I want to buffer.” As for what my handicap was, I wanted it to be as low as I could get it - note, that doesn’t mean as low as is physically possible. As low as I could get it.

Does it matter now? I’ve accepted that age and health have taken my best game away from me and, in truth, as much as I love the game I am frustrated by it. I can’t play enough to maintain a level of competency I’m happy with, and it physically hurts too much to play once a week. Mmm, not so bothered about the handicap but very bothered about the quality of ball striking.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never worried about my handicap, just saw it as a marker showing how my game had improved or got worse. It was always nice to see the number come down but if it went up, never worried me. I am a casual golfer, one or two rounds a week tops, no practice, little in the way of warm up, no lessons so really had no reason to expect any real improvements

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But if your focus is on getting your handicap down, then once that battle is lost, a lot of the appeal of the game goes. I have never been one for just enjoying the walk. Once a round is lost (no real prospect of a decent score), I am no longer interested at all.

I definitely won't be taking up fishing, though!
That's interesting that you can't enjoy it unless you're making a good score. Personally while I want to get my handicap lower, really I just love the game, I think I just enjoy the feeling of smashing the little white ball towards a flag, so really I should be set for life on that.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's interesting that you can't enjoy it unless you're making a good score. Personally while I want to get my handicap lower, really I just love the game, I think I just enjoy the feeling of smashing the little white ball towards a flag, so really I should be set for life on that.

But when that smash becomes a weak slap?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It matters to me but a lot less than it did.
I'd like it to go down but if it goes up then so be it.
My first handicap was 15.
I had 3 0.1s before starting down.
I'm not sure how I'll feel when and if I start getting 16 shots but it won't stop me playing.
After todays round I might just be, for the first time since I can remember, getting 10 shots next time out....quite looking forward to it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But when that smash becomes a weak slap?
I mean, it kind of already is. :LOL: If you saw a silhouette of my swing and looked at the clubs in my bag, you'd probably assume I was in my 70s already. I think as long as I can still strike the ball ok I'll be alright, but if for some reason it became all tops and duffs then I'd be tempted to sack it all off.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes, my handicap matters to me.

I'm currently at my lowest ever handicap index of 12.4 and I'm pleased with the improvements I've made, I would like to get it down to around 10.

I won't lie, partly it matters because it's nice to tell people you're off a low handicap and within my circle of friends, to try and be the lowest index would be nice.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mean, it kind of already is. :LOL: If you saw a silhouette of my swing and looked at the clubs in my bag, you'd probably assume I was in my 70s already. I think as long as I can still strike the ball ok I'll be alright, but if for some reason it became all tops and duffs then I'd be tempted to sack it all off.
I think it depends on the person.
I see some shocking golfers at ours ,can’t really hit the ball properly.
But as long as they are enjoying it that’s all that matters , as long as it dosnt impact on others.
Take Walking Football I tried it but just didn’t like it ,it was far to slow and my brain was telling me where I should be but the legs said no.
It was great socially but not footy as I remember it.
I hope to play golf with my two year old grandson one day not many sports let you do that,

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My handicap matters as a reflection of my ability and something to aim for each round, however - and this is something I've noticed more this year, possibly due to WHS - to get close to some of the scores that are winning the handicap prizes I need to shoot a lower gross than I'm probably capable of. That leaves the scratch prizes to aim for, which kinda negates the point of a handicap in the first place.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
But if your focus is on getting your handicap down, then once that battle is lost, a lot of the appeal of the game goes. I have never been one for just enjoying the walk. Once a round is lost (no real prospect of a decent score), I am no longer interested at all.

I definitely won't be taking up fishing, though!
Your approach to it pretty much mirrors mine.
Everything I do, I do to get better. I want to be as good as I can be. Once it's obvious that I've reached that point I'll go and do something else. I simply see no fun in managing decline.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Yes, my handicap matters to me.

I'm currently at my lowest ever handicap index of 12.4 and I'm pleased with the improvements I've made, I would like to get it down to around 10.

I won't lie, partly it matters because it's nice to tell people you're off a low handicap and within my circle of friends, to try and be the lowest index would be nice.

I'm trying to think of anyone who's ever been impressed by a golf handicap of over scratch :unsure:

Amateur sport outside elite level is just a hobby

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are they the ones who take a fiver off you regularly Pete.

No-one does it regularly, mate.....apart from Birchy of this parish, of course, .... always up on the year in my pals bets, sharpens your game a little side bet, I find.

The 10/11 handicappers are desperate to become SFG's, and dont blame them, it is a nirvana for 60-70 % of golfers, scratch will be for maybe 1-2%.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My handicap matters as a reflection of my ability and something to aim for each round, however - and this is something I've noticed more this year, possibly due to WHS - to get close to some of the scores that are winning the handicap prizes I need to shoot a lower gross than I'm probably capable of. That leaves the scratch prizes to aim for, which kinda negates the point of a handicap in the first place.
Yes guy at ours shot 58
I would have to beat the course record by 2 shots to tie.
But I have heard decent golfers say they need to go up just to compete in the comps.
The very low men have stopped playing in some comps now and only play the board comps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it depends on the person.
I see some shocking golfers at ours ,can’t really hit the ball properly.
But as long as they are enjoying it that’s all that matters , as long as it dosnt impact on others.
Take Walking Football I tried it but just didn’t like it ,it was far to slow and my brain was telling me where I should be but the legs said no.
It was great socially but not footy as I remember it.
I hope to play golf with my two year old grandson one day not many sports let you do that,
I look at other team sports at amateur level and see a parallel. Many hockey and rugby clubs will run 4 teams, some more. Those in the 4ths will be a mixture of kids starting out, those who are poor but love the game, and those on the way down due to injury or age but enjoy the game still. Some 1st teamers can't handle dropping through the teams and just give up, take up golf on the whole :D. Others take it on the chin, they take the change mentally and accept it. As long as everyone playing enjoys it it doesn't matter but I do understand that those who have been good may struggle to accept a decline.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm trying to think of anyone who's ever been impressed by a golf handicap of over scratch :unsure:

Amateur sport outside elite level is just a hobby

I'm not even that impressed by scratch. Once someone is into a proper +HC, that is impressive.