Do you use the Pro Shop?

Visit site
Hi guys, just sitting thinking bout ideas in the office and we got onto what we buy for golf, out of 6 of us not many buy from the pro shop!!!

We only bought food, drinks, tee's and balls which isn't much. We had though used them for regripping, lessons and 1 for custom fit. This made me think, do we need a pro shop these days as it must cost a club or pro a fortune for all the stock in equipment & clothing???? It does seem products are over priced and if I have bought a club they have had to match the net for it so can't be much money in that for club/pro

We all read golf is in trouble as costing clubs a fortune due to loads of issues but surely a pro should be teaching or playing rather than being a mars bar seller? This means he is a well paid shop assistant?

Let me know your thoughts on this

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We dont have a traditional pro shop, the clubs owners run the shop which has mainly club logoed clothes and a few essentials (gloves balls tees drinks etc) plus a very small selection of clubs. 2 teaching pros attached will happily do regripping and repairs. Works well enough

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spent 500 odd pound recently from a local pro shop.
Ive already sold the 3 wood for a £60 loss.
The bag is crap as its not waterproof and only has 6 dividers,i wanted a waterproof
bag and 14 dividers[an impulse buy gone wrong.
I wish I went ebay and got them cheaper or never bothered at all.:confused::mad::angry:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm in the 'Always support your pro' camp where you can, and if he warrants it.

What I mean by that is if he is 'reasonably' competitive (I'd pay slightly more for personal service and advice) and is a welcoming friendly pro with the members at heart.

D

Deleted member 1147

This season I've bought a new driver, 10 new grips, a Bushnell, a putting lesson and many Lucozades.
He's done well out of me this season.

Visit site
I have to agree with you that I think that works well with the pro's. There are many clubs now changing from the traditional format, which club are you a member?

Visit site
ha ha love the "many lucozades" line. But you are similar that its regripping, small products and teaching. Its only the driver did you pay full price or get price match by any chance?

Visit site
Im like you in the "support you pro" campaign I just think they'd be happier teaching, custom fitting people or playing in comps as pro's rather than sitting in the shop looking bored which many are every time I see them. If i was a pro id not fancy being stuck in the shop id want to teach or be competing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I try to as much as i can.

I buy mostly clothing and shoes as he has some great club branded clothing on offer had some real bargains on RL and CK not to forget the Ecco shoes.

got a bag and electric trolley from him as well.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always, our pro is a really nice chap and I haven't got a bad word to say about him.
I must have spent £1000 in the shop this year with cloths and golf clubs. I've just had 13 new grips fitted which should have been £8.50 each retail for £75!.
Any club I become a member of, I will always support the pro.

D

Deleted member 1147

ha ha love the "many lucozades" line. But you are similar that its regripping, small products and teaching. Its only the driver did you pay full price or get price match by any chance?

Both the Bushnell & SLDR were price matched, I didn't ask for it, it was offered.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Known my pro for years including out of work before I was a member. I'll always give him first dibs on any major purchase (he only stocks clothing with club badges so do get my clothes elsewhere) and if can price match (give or take £10-15) then I'll let him have the business. He usually does me a good deal and I get all my shoes at a very good price!!!!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club pro will usually always price match if he can- as full member also get 10% off so sometimes it's actually cheaper than anywhere else anyway with that off.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The pro's at my place aren't attached to the shop, which is just part of a big corporate operation so I deliberately avoid.

Visit site
Good to hear the support for the pro as to keep pro's in a job is what needs to happen as there knowledge in invaluable, I have used our pro to get a guide on a few things.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a small pro shop and I use it a bit for clothes (good UA stuff) but expect to have to pay top price - bargains are few and far between. He is a member of Foremost Golf (an online shop consortium) which is, again, on the higher price spectrum. I am looking at a Cleveland wedge which is £70 in his shop, but AG are selling 2 for £100. I can ask if he would price match, but I think I can guess at the answer....

I have some credit which I will use, but there is always a slight annoyance that I have to pay a premium as I am sure he would do more trade if prices were more competitive. Nice guy though!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a small pro shop and I use it a bit for clothes (good UA stuff) but expect to have to pay top price - bargains are few and far between. He is a member of Foremost Golf (an online shop consortium) which is, again, on the higher price spectrum. I am looking at a Cleveland wedge which is £70 in his shop, but AG are selling 2 for £100. I can ask if he would price match, but I think I can guess at the answer....

I have some credit which I will use, but there is always a slight annoyance that I have to pay a premium as I am sure he would do more trade if prices were more competitive. Nice guy though!

Our pro is part of Foremost. His prices are not high and he is always willing to haggle.
I think your pro is using foremost as an excuse for his high profit margin.