No prices displayed in pro shop

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Is a price on an item only an 'invitation to treat' or am I wrongly remembering the General Principles of English Law that I was taught almost 50 years ago?

Correct. It isnt yet a contract. But you need a price on an item or all sorts could be going on.

I'd be boycotting the shop, and comps too if the only pay out was a voucher.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
All the items in our pro shop do not have prices on them. If you win any money from the comps, you can only spend it in the pro shop. I asked our pro for a price on some clothes with the club logo on. However, each item was £5 more than what other members paid just a few weeks earlier. While it is clearly morally wrong and creates bad relations, does anyone know if any trading standards come into it? All views welcome

Not all the items in our pro shop do. But we have staff and I have a tongue in my head so I ask. If the other people who bought their shirts a few weeks ago cleared him out & he has restocked or had to change supplier you can bet the price to the pro has gone up, so it will get passed on; or maybe your Pro offers a bit of a discount to his regular customers?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are people really that out out by a price not being displayed?

Personally, I couldn’t care. I’d just ask how much it is.

I think the OP’s beef is the fact he was forced to pay higher prices others a few weeks prior, and rightly so.

I’d leave it on my bar card and drink/eat it over the next month/few months rather than have to top up. On principle if the shop is favouring other members over the OP the he in the sand turn has the right to favour other retailers over him.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's news to me. The likes of Rolex watches in shop windows have prices on when I've seen them.
Crikey, don’t take things too seriously! Obviously I haven’t checked every shop that sell posh watches to see if they display prices. ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not sure what the exact issue is that the OP has. Is it the lack of prices, is it the fact that costs have gone up or has he got proof that he is being discriminated against and being charged higher prices than other members?
I think we might need a bit more information.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think the odd instance wouldn't annoy folks and you'd just ask as you say etc but imagine spending half an hour walking round an AG window shopping to spend some b/day cash looking at all the lovely shiny stuff but naff all has got a price, not even a glove
Now imagine going to the high street/shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon to do the xmas pressie shopping and nothing is priced in any store, the place is jumping and takes ages to find an assistant each time and different assistants quote different prices etc for same item

Extreme I know but that's what the law is there to prevent. That's why its all supposed to be priced. Everything from an unpriced single item (which is unlikely to be a problem for anyone) to an entire store being unpriced (a right pain)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think the OP’s beef is the fact he was forced to pay higher prices others a few weeks prior, and rightly so.

I’d leave it on my bar card and drink/eat it over the next month/few months rather than have to top up. On principle if the shop is favouring other members over the OP the he in the sand turn has the right to favour other retailers over him.
Have you heard of something called inflation?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

My old club was the same, no prices on anything, when you asked the pro for the price you could see him just trying to pull a figure out of thin air lol.
It's just bad crack and doesn't really fill you with confidence regarding his honesty.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not sure what the exact issue is that the OP has. Is it the lack of prices, is it the fact that costs have gone up or has he got proof that he is being discriminated against and being charged higher prices than other members?
I think we might need a bit more information.

I worked it retail for 25 years. It's easy really. All stock is priced, when prices increase you change the prices. it's not like these shops sell thousands of lines. Price the stock, either with headers showing the price or individually if required. You would not believe how much bitching goes on by customers when shelf tags fall off or are missing and that's for 1 item, imagine a whole section or aisle without pricing

No one here would be happy going to a food shop and picking up bread and milk and getting to the till and they ringing up at £10 for the pair and then being told, oh look we sold the last batch and inflation and new supplier costs means this is the new price you don't know about.

It's so boring that the comments are oh well I will ask, or does it really matter because it's a Pro Golf shop, take that to every other shop you shop in.

I think the lack of prices doesn't allow him to see how much he has to pay (Annoying) add to that he knows how much he mates have paid and cannot tell if he is being charged extra because the price has gone up or he mates are getting members special deals over the counter and he is not (All annoying).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yup and deflation. I’d feel deflated if my other members were receiving better prices than me in a shop I was forced to spend my money in,
But are they? The OP just says the prices are more than a few weeks ago - heck, which prices aren't?!?

This is typical of a few threads recently where an issue is raised, questions are asked and the OP just seems to have disappeared so all kinds of theories are raised with no real understanding of the actual problem

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
All the items in our pro shop do not have prices on them. If you win any money from the comps, you can only spend it in the pro shop. I asked our pro for a price on some clothes with the club logo on. However, each item was £5 more than what other members paid just a few weeks earlier. While it is clearly morally wrong and creates bad relations, does anyone know if any trading standards come into it? All views welcome
Just tell them that they are breaking the law by not showing prices. Also notify the Club Committee, if it doesn't change. The actual prices are irrelevant. The Pro Shop may actually sponsor the prizes, so not unreasonable that redemption must be in the shop. I always simply bought balls/snacks with any winnings, as prices were reasonable. Clothing though was/is generally expensive/premium, but that's pretty standard for the sort of outlet they are.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I get all winning’s put on my bar card rather than the Pro Shop for 2 reasons.
Firstly, when buying you’ve got no bargaining power. All your money is in the pro shop and he knows you’ve got to spend it all in his shop. He’s got you over a barrel.
Secondly, if he goes belly up I doubt your money will still be in the client account. Desperate measures and all.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I get all winning’s put on my bar card rather than the Pro Shop for 2 reasons.
Firstly, when buying you’ve got no bargaining power. All your money is in the pro shop and he knows you’ve got to spend it all in his shop. He’s got you over a barrel.
Secondly, if he goes belly up I doubt your money will still be in the client account. Desperate measures and all.

Some people don't have that option.