No prices displayed in pro shop

Rhinogs

Visit site
All the items in our pro shop do not have prices on them. If you win any money from the comps, you can only spend it in the pro shop. I asked our pro for a price on some clothes with the club logo on. However, each item was £5 more than what other members paid just a few weeks earlier. While it is clearly morally wrong and creates bad relations, does anyone know if any trading standards come into it? All views welcome

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How would Trading Standards come into it?

No price : a pet hate but that is just poor marketing

Price increases: that happens all of the time, particularly right now. It's all about timing and you have dipped unlucky

Comp winnings: standard in a lot of clubs. Frustrating if the shop is poorly stocked but presumably the terms of the comp will state how the money can be used before you enter. It's a way of protecting the shop, keeping it going, presumably for the long term benefit of the members.

Ultimately, if you don't like the set up it is one to take up internally, via your committee, imo.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is your's a club that has a lot of visitors?
Perhaps you can't tell because of the lack of pricing, but would members normally be offered a discount?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
As above

Could be that its newer stock purchased at a higher price? Could be that you've just timed it badly.

Not a trading standards issue

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
How would Trading Standards come into it?

No price : a pet hate but that is just poor marketing

Price increases: that happens all of the time, particularly right now. It's all about timing and you have dipped unlucky

Comp winnings: standard in a lot of clubs. Frustrating if the shop is poorly stocked but presumably the terms of the comp will state how the money can be used before you enter. It's a way of protecting the shop, keeping it going, presumably for the long term benefit of the members.

Ultimately, if you don't like the set up it is one to take up internally, via your committee, imo.

According to Which, they very much do come into it, prices have to be displayed.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/shopping/ask-which-do-shops-have-to-display-prices/

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yup still subject to Trading Standards if it open to the public
Pet hate of mine too

Hefty fines (at the extreme end) for unpriced. It might have changed but iirc fines used to be based per item i.e 5 pairs of same socks unpriced on same peg = fine x 5

edit, as for price increase, I guess its the same as everything these days. Not many things getting cheaper (just harder to see when nothings priced )

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I take your point and agree items should at least at least have a price displayed, although there may be many reasons as to why others received a different price to yourself, I obviously don't know the facts but others may use and value the pro shop, spend quiet a bit of money in there, know the pro personally and use the his services i.e. lessons, club repairs.

I guess it's his choice who he gives discount to.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also bugs me that all our club clothing, and most of the pros stock is Footjoy. Very expensive for what it is. But I guess the pro reckons that as he has captive customers he may as well stock premium gear rather than cheaper, and make himself a better margin and more turnover. Its a cold business decision. But I dont like it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Also bugs me that all our club clothing, and most of the pros stock is Footjoy. Very expensive for what it is. But I guess the pro reckons that as he has captive customers he may as well stock premium gear rather than cheaper, and make himself a better margin and more turnover. Its a cold business decision. But I dont like it.
Not sure how much choice a club pro has on the gear to stock if he signs up to a buyer/supplier such as Foremost Golf.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure how much choice a club pro has on the gear to stock if he signs up to a buyer/supplier such as Foremost Golf.
He isn't obliged to sign with any particular supplier by the club. We are not a premium club, and polo's for £60 or pullovers for £85 are not the range that I or most of our members would normally stretch to. So it's only with occasional vouchers that I end up buying clothing from him. I buy plenty more elsewhere, but lower priced brands.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Winnings have to go to some sort of club expenditure it is a R&A requirement to still be an amateur golfer.

Pricing will always be according to the day you are in there it happens in every shop.

No prices displayed to my mind mind is poor but it does save the shop having to go round changing all the prices if they need to change and many will use the cost of replacement as their guide rather than the cost of of original supply as suppliers to the club put up their prices.

Having to spend the money in the pro shop has long been one of my bug bears ever since the R&A changed the rules from must be spent in the pro shop to can be used for any club expenditure. I have only just started to use a golf bag bought 5 years ago because I could not think of anything in the shop I wanted when I had to spend the money I had won.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is a price on an item only an 'invitation to treat' or am I wrongly remembering the General Principles of English Law that I was taught almost 50 years ago?