Do you remember your first club comp and if so how did it go?

Jason.H

Visit site
I remember getting an eagle on our par 5 12th hole in my 1st club championship in the mid 2000,s. Seeing my name on the leaderboard after the 1st round has stuck in my memory bank. Sadly the 2nd round wasn’t so good ?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All I remember was standing on the first tee which used to be next to the putting green, and my legs were physically shaking like a ? taking a ?. A very long time ago so no idea how the round went.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've got most of my competition scores on old Excel sheets, just dug out my first few back in 2008.

My handicap at the time was 17, I started the round double, treble, double and went out in 50.
The back nine was going much better until a 10 on the 18th, I can't remember how I scored that but would guess water was involved somewhere.
Gross score was 98 so a 9 over par 81 nett.

My next competition I scored 95 gross but then in my third one I scored 83 gross, 66 nett and won one of the board competitions, which was nice. :)
(It was a few years until I bettered that score)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
First competitive outing was with a Society - nailed my slice all day long! First competition at the club, wasn't memorable but did get away from the first tee okay. First inter-club competition for the club, playing away with an 'experienced' partner - I put my first out of bounds right, he topped his 20 yards into a pond. We were the only pair to take 1/2 point home.

yandabrown

Visit site
I certainly remember the first hole, 2 drives went sailing out of bounds on the right so I started 5 from the tee :-(
Handicap at the time was 21 and looking back I had 1 birdie, 1 par, 4 snowmen and 4 double figures (it was a medal so I thought that I had to torture myself!). Ended up with a NET 102
Thankfully things have improved since then :)

G1z1

Visit site
Does anything of note stick out in the memory bank?

I’m buzzing for it but also a tad nervous.

Good feels for sure
Yes it was last year, I won the comp by 9 shots and they announced it on there app then removed my score lol saying because my handicap was over 28 it didn’t count but it didn’t stop them taking my entry fee

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was over 50 years ago, so I can't remember it. All I do recall was that juniors weren't allowed a handicap until they could break 100, and then were awarded 24. As a junior you could only compete against other juniors in handicap competitions, and had to play with an adult.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined my first club on a Saturday, and was encouraged to play in the Sunday Roll up to get to meet a few people, as I didn't know anyone.

When I turned up I was welcomed by the Captain and the organiser suggested I play off 18 (which was probably about right based on an earlier informal Society handicap). Cant remember what I scored but I came 3rd and won a tenner :LOL:. Was a bit embarrassed given I didn't have an official handicap (I did record my first qualifying card though) but everyone was OK with it (and I did get my leg pulled which made me feel welcome and part of the group).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Redbourne golf club 2006, they had medals all through winter so played one as my cards for handicap purposes..muddy cold and not vey good. The most memorable was my card was marked by a guy who was known as the goat.. never found out why unfortunately as we moves shortly after. I remember thinking wow he's a good player, I'd be happy to get as low as that... he was of 12?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember playing for the school in the regional qualifying for the national Aer Lingus competition at Royal Wimbledon. By far the poshest club I'd been to and with a load of the local grammar and independent schools there, the field had some really good and already single figure players. We were a comprehensive with a hastily put together side, (myself and another were junior members at Wimbledon Common and I think from memory the others had not long been playing). I played reasonably well on the day but was so nervous for the first few holes.

As a junior with a handicap under 18 I and several others could play in the adult comps. I remember my first club championships and it being an absolute car crash including topping it into a ravine at the 7th and repeating it at the 9th. Pretty sure it was close to a three figure score

If you want nerves though, playing in a GM event like H4H is always good to get the adrenalin flowing especially at places like Blackmoor with the balcony and the baying masses watching. Also playing any event that GM send a cameraman too. I was at the Forest of Arden for the final of the GM Centenary Final and the idiot cameraman positioned himself to my right about ten yards away and crouching down. I got it away ugly down the right side of the fairway....just

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just had a look at my HDID, my first comp was May last year and I shot my handicap in a medal format.

From memory I pulled my opening drive into the trees on the left and had to play out sideways, got a bogey so not disastrous!

Remember having nerves but soon realised it was just another round of golf and settled into it with a few of the usual howlers that I was prone to back then.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
It was last year for me. 28 points and I finsihed T26 from a field of 49, with the winner finising on 39 points. At least my drive on the first was nice and straight down the middle. I was in a group of thoroughly decent people so it was a very positive experience.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't remember my first stableford comp to be honest, so it can't have been that bad/memorable. Do remember my first medal comp though, was off 23 and was only 1 over after 4. At that point, a PP advised that "I was playing really well", which is obviously the kiss of death.
5th hole was also a par 5, shot 1 was a massive slice into the trees/bushes, shot 3 was a stunning 20 yard top into a very deep stream in front of the tee box and shot 5 followed shot 1 into the bushes. Eventually signed for a 15.
Funny thing was, still got a handicap cut, as 17 holes were played very well (it would have been a 40 stableford score) but not surprisingly, I didn't win the medal comp! ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was over 50 years ago, so I can't remember it. All I do recall was that juniors weren't allowed a handicap until they could break 100, and then were awarded 24. As a junior you could only compete against other juniors in handicap competitions, and had to play with an adult.

When I first joined the club I still play at now the secretary would not give anybody, regardless of age, a handicap until they could show they could break 100