Do you record your opponent’s Stableford points on their Scorecard?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always do yeh, think everyone I’ve played with does as well. The only time I can recall not was when me and my usual PP didn’t know how many shots we were getting (can’t remember why, some sort of different comp) and so we just wrote the gross down. Other than that, I always ask what they got to make sure it tally’s with what I thought.

Jason.H

Visit site
On our scorecard there is a column for gross and next to it a column for points. It’s been the normal thing to put both gross and points in a stable ford. If you don’t know how the points work that’s very easy to learn.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same as the majority, I mark both hole score and Stableford points for both myself and whoever I am marking, I only offer their score after 9 if they request it and only check the gross scores before submitting my card.

RichA

Visit site
I only record gross scores - I thought that was the requirement of a scorer. When the cards are handed in, the competition secretary or one of their assistants puts it all in the computer which sorts the Stableford scores out.
If somebody wants to know their running points tally, then why can't they do it themselves on the card they're marking? I'm their scorer, not their mother.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you are his marker, should you not know what his score was?

Should you, and is this a grey area. I am focused on how many shots I have taken. A drive and a an iron to the green, 2 putts is easy to score. But if he had had a bad hole asking “ how many” is confirmation.
To add to any confusion a PP two handicaps is on his card. When our Fuddle plays a comp alongside a stableford. We have a fuddle hcap to eliminate Bandits. That is not on the card, so on some holes a 4 for 2 off his official hcap could be a four for 1 or 4 for 3

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I usually write down the points for each hole as we go along. Unless the person I'm marking for gets so many shots that I don't have enough fingers and toes to add it up - then I'll do it at the end.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I only record gross scores - I thought that was the requirement of a scorer. When the cards are handed in, the competition secretary or one of their assistants puts it all in the computer which sorts the Stableford scores out.
If somebody wants to know their running points tally, then why can't they do it themselves on the card they're marking? I'm their scorer, not their mother.

Exactly this. I’m not interested in my stableford points, so I’m even less interested in someone else’s. If they want to work them out and keep a running total that up to them.

I’ll confirm gross score after each hole and the total at the end. The computer will work out the stableford points.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have always put both down, and with the new more active handicaps it can be even more important to do so for one’s peace of mind.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't play many Stablefords and I can never remember the Stroke indices of each hole, and the writing on the score card is too small for me to read so I never know the points anyway.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Exactly this. I’m not interested in my stableford points, so I’m even less interested in someone else’s. If they want to work them out and keep a running total that up to them.

I’ll confirm gross score after each hole and the total at the end. The computer will work out the stableford points.

I guess any player kinda (needs to?) know what the points scored on each hole are; not least so they know when they should pick up once they can't score

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I guess any player kinda (needs to?) know what the points scored on each hole are; not least so they know when they should pick up once they can't score

You only need to know you’ve got a net double. The stableford points are irrelevant if you intend to pick up when you can’t score.