Do you record your opponent’s Stableford points on their Scorecard?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always do, as stated earlier, but having my Competition Secretary hat on, I prefer cards that only have the gross score recorded.
Pet hate is when there is ample room on the scorecard for both, but people cram Gross and Stableford score into the same wee box. :rolleyes:
Dunno if it's just me, but, I write them both in the same box but the Stableford number is much smaller. Kind of like 4 ² - but not above it like that, more in the bottom right corner of the box. I really hate it when people write both numbers the same size so reading it down it looks like 42, 33, 53, etc. :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t record as you do, but for instance on a par 4 where the player I am marking for gets a shot and scores a 5, I will say to him…5 for 4 for 2. I sometimes get funny looks and query what I’m on about, just what I was taught to do/say. No shot? 5 for 4 for 1…and so on.

Yeah but let's be fair, you were also taught to stand in some funny places on the tee :eek::p

Swango1980

Visit site
Dunno if it's just me, but, I write them both in the same box but the Stableford number is much smaller. Kind of like 4 ² - but not above it like that, more in the bottom right corner of the box. I really hate it when people write both numbers the same size so reading it down it looks like 42, 33, 53, etc. :LOL:
Perhaps they were just a 54 Index handicapper :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do but I only check the gross scores with them at the end of the round and leave them to total the points.

When I am recording scores for lots of cards in a comp I hate it when players put the stableford in the gross column for any reason. When you have 100 plus cards to check it is amazing how much quicker it is if only the gross is in the gross column and the points (which I would not check anyway, ((leave it to the computer))) are in the points column. We put a lot of effort in at our club to stop players recording it this way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do but I only check the gross scores with them at the end of the round and leave them to total the points.

When I am recording scores for lots of cards in a comp I hate it when players put the stableford in the gross column for any reason. When you have 100 plus cards to check it is amazing how much quicker it is if only the gross is in the gross column and the points (which I would not check anyway, ((leave it to the computer))) are in the points column. We put a lot of effort in at our club to stop players recording it this way.
I'm just used to it because in our social rounds I'll be recording the points for 3 or 4 players potentially, so they can't go in a separate box then.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm just used to it because in our social rounds I'll be recording the points for 3 or 4 players potentially, so they can't go in a separate box then.

It is one of the troubles

players get so used to doing it that way in social golf that they carry on doing it in comps.

I have sometimes been tempted to record the gross scores as 41/42 etc just to see what reaction I get.

One of the things that often happens which makes us laugh is when players enter their scores on the PSI as the stableford points instead of the gross. Last Seniors comp we had someone with 8 holes in 1.

Not looked at how it happened but todays comp was a 4BBB, one pair had a points total of 76 on the computer, but probably exactly that ie points on the computer and not gross.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do your scorecards not have a Net/Points column?

I would follow your method for my score in the markers column.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Young eyes ;)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It amazes me that anyone playing Stableford doesnt know their own score in points as they go, but you do meet such, now and again.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I appreciate that the best way to check, and the way you would check if you were playing at The Masters, would be to check every hole gross score afterwards.
Yes it's the best way, and yes no-one seems to do it. But why? It's quicker no?

After 18, or each 9 as preferred: "I got you as 4,5,6 - 5,5,3 - 4,4,4." "Yes I agree." Or "No let's review the 3rd, I got a 5." "So you did." Takes seconds and fulfils the double-check people desire.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It amazes me that anyone playing Stableford doesnt know their own score in points as they go, but you do meet such, now and again.
If you ever play a round with me, that will be a now and again. I'll write them down, but then forget after 2 holes!

Swango1980

Visit site

After 18, or each 9 as preferred: "I got you as 4,5,6 - 5,5,3 - 4,4,4." "Yes I agree." Or "No let's review the 3rd, I got a 5." "So you did." Takes seconds and fulfils the double-check people desire.
I think that is usually longer, in that normally all it is "I got you as x points on the front 9?" , and usually the answer is simply yes.

When it is no, then it extends to the conversation you posted. That is usually rare, but more frequent with some golfers than others :)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think that is usually longer, in that normally all it is "I got you as x points on the front 9?" , and usually the answer is simply yes.

When it is no, then it extends to the conversation you posted. That is usually rare, but more frequent with some golfers than others :)

Indeed. Word for word. It seems discourteous not to. In a medal, you'd say the gross score.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Many at our place needed to do this during covid (no submittted cards) - check each gross score before keying into the app. So I and others have carried on. As you say doesn't really take long and removed the possibility of a double s'ford points error hiding a mistake.