Do you record your opponent’s Stableford points on their Scorecard?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I’m doing the card for one player then I’ll note his Stableford points. Makes for a quick and easy check after 9 and then 18.

If I am doing a card for multiple players I’ll usually just record the gross score for as many players as are required by the format - unless it’s a team format based upon team Stableford Points for each hole. That said, if asked I’ll record points for each player.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mmm, easy to miss things when you scan a post quickly but I did also say that the writing on the scorecard is too small for me to read.

That bugs me too, clubs using a tiny font in a box that could easily be a larger size without affecting the card at all (except making it easier to read!)

D

Deleted member 1147

I actually go into more detail than just gross and points.
I'll write "-1" where they get a shot, in the column next to the gross, normally player B column. Then in the third (player C) column I will write the net score. So it's very easy to calc' points, and if questioned about the points total, it's easy to go through hole by hole "5, net 4, for 2 points" for example

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mmm, easy to miss things when you scan a post quickly but I did also say that the writing on the scorecard is too small for me to read.
I just thought it odd that you mentioned the SI though. Presumably the type for that is the same as for the rest of the card so is the whole card unreadable?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just thought it odd that you mentioned the SI though. Presumably the type for that is the same as for the rest of the card so is the whole card unreadable?
Nope I can read the hole number, or at least work out what it is as it is sequential not much else though unless I put my specs on, but it's a faff to dig them out of my bag on every hole

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I always note the points as well as the gross. I know it's not a requirement but it's what I've always done. In ten years of stableford comps, I've never played with anyone who doesn't do it!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
A stable ford is about the points. I’ve never played with anyone who doesn’t put the points in as well as the gross. Most cross check the points after 9 holes.

That does not necessarily mean that the gross scores have generated that number of points.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've always done it and everyone I've ever played with does it.

If we got to the 10th tee and the casual check in resulted in me getting my gross medal score only, I'd smile and put that person on the list of people to avoid.

Anyone posting the rule and sub section number of why you don't need to give the points can go on there too!:ROFLMAO:

You don't need to hold the door open for someone, but decent folk do so.

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I will confirm what they got and put the corresponding points in as well. I don't think it's difficult and it means that when adding up any queries can quickly be resolved.

RichA

Visit site

If we got to the 10th tee and the casual check in resulted in me getting my gross medal score only, I'd smile and put that person on the list of people to avoid.

Anuone posting the rule and sub section number of why you don't need to give the points can go on there too!:ROFLMAO:

Not really the same though. To me, it's more like asking someone the time because you can't be bothered to look at your own watch.
For what it's worth, I really wish the people who can't be bothered to add up their own score would try a bit harder to avoid me in Stableford comps.

IanMcC

Visit site
I always do, as stated earlier, but having my Competition Secretary hat on, I prefer cards that only have the gross score recorded.
Pet hate is when there is ample room on the scorecard for both, but people cram Gross and Stableford score into the same wee box. :rolleyes:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

Anuone posting the rule and sub section number of why you don't need to give the points can go on there too!:ROFLMAO:

I used to think we'd get on quite well, Ian. Let's just not play a stableford together!

Swango1980

Visit site
I always put the points in for Stableford as well. It is a great cross check, even if it is not a requirement.

I find simply confirming gross scores after each hole is a large risk. Mainly because there have been many times that, despite doing this, my marker has put the wrong gross score on a hole (why, I do not know. Brain fog, or they've missed a hole and try to fill in a few holes in one go, they've entered the other players score in the group, etc). This usually comes out in the wash when we confirm the Stableford score (as this is the score that most players are interested in, as this is effectively your competition result), and we come to a different total. Worst case, if only one of us is totalling the points, the computer will give the wrong score and it'll ring alarm bells.

I appreciate that the best way to check, and the way you would check if you were playing at The Masters, would be to check every hole gross score afterwards. But, in over 17 years of playing regularly, I've never met a soul that naturally checks every hole gross score on the scorecard. The only time this has happened was when I played in an England Golf official event, who had scorers, and they sat us down afterwards and got us to formally do this (and the cards were designed, with tear offs, to make this easier)

Likewise, in medal, I will add up the total gross scores for each 9, and then 18, and confirm these with the player. Again, pretty much everyone I've ever played with does this.

The risk of neither person doing this is simply that neither will truly know their final score, nor check each hole gross score. So, either could easily plug their scores into the computer afterwards, have no alarm bells when they might enter one score that was put in wrong, and not realise their score is incorrect. I guess you could come out well if the score was better than you scored, and vice versa if it was not. I'd say it is unlikely most Committees would be any the wiser either. After all, the scores on the computer match those on your scorecard, and I doubt they'd check the markers columns on the card you marked to see if they tie up with the scores on your own card

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
No longer. Just another Outside Influence.
What do you mean?

The term 'fellow competitor' is no longer a recognised definition in golf?​

It's been subsumed by the term I thought was for something that moved or deflected your ball?!?​

Am I to introduce myself to you on the practice green as "Troy, an outside influence".

I've misunderstood right?

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I always do, as stated earlier, but having my Competition Secretary hat on, I prefer cards that only have the gross score recorded.
Pet hate is when there is ample room on the scorecard for both, but people cram Gross and Stableford score into the same wee box. :rolleyes:

Different issue...that's another version of people scrawling unintelligible scribble on scorecards!

Phil D. You know who you are:ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I actually go into more detail than just gross and points.
I'll write "-1" where they get a shot, in the column next to the gross, normally player B column. Then in the third (player C) column I will write the net score. So it's very easy to calc' points, and if questioned about the points total, it's easy to go through hole by hole "5, net 4, for 2 points" for example
I don’t record as you do, but for instance on a par 4 where the player I am marking for gets a shot and scores a 5, I will say to him…5 for 4 for 2. I sometimes get funny looks and query what I’m on about, just what I was taught to do/say. No shot? 5 for 4 for 1…and so on.

Swango1980

Visit site
What do you mean?

The term 'fellow competitor' is no longer a recognised definition in golf?​

It's been subsumed by the term I thought was for something that moved or deflected your ball?!?​

Am I to introduce myself to you on the putting green as "Troy, an outside influence".

I've misunderstood right?

Just in normal English, I would surely think it is still OK to call others in the field Fellow Competitors. However, it appears that as soon as anybody mentions "fellow competitors" these days, there are one or 2 people that are quick to point out the term is no longer in the Rule Book. Does it really really matter, we all know what is meant when someone says fellow competitors, right?

If the OP had said "My fellow competitor said today..." I think most of us would have interpreted the situation, and been able to answer. If the OP had said "My outside influence said today..." that would have been very odd indeed :)