Do you have many ignorant "members" at your club?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The worst example I came across of cliques was many years ago. I'd just moved house, and moved clubs. I went up to my new club early one Sunday morning to see if I could get a game, my first game there. No problem, out with a great group of guys, which was part of a swindle - beers afterwards in the bar. The following week I got up there later, and got a game with a different swindle - beers afterwards in the lounge. The third week I went up there early but was refused a game with the first swindle because I'd "played with that lot."

The first group from "down the pit," and the second group were from "topside."

niwintz

Hacker
Visit site
I am just a year into my first golf club and have to say that I have only met 1 ignorant person in the club, the club gets a bit of a bad name for snobs but that seems totally unfounded going by my experiences. Anyone I have played with that I didn't know have been great to play with and made for an enjoyable round.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You normally find it's the older "I've been a member here for 40 years" types that are the grief. Unfortunately, some of them think they own the club.
I found this to a certain extent at Crowborough Beacon when I first joined.
Highwoods was even worse, that's one of the reasons I left.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
We have a few who, if they aren't drawn out with their pals for the competitions just withdraw from the comp and play a bounce game.. causes a few ructions with some members who can't get a competition time as a result because slots have been taken by those who may/may not play depending on the draw.

On the rare occasions they do play, they give the impression they'd rather not be on the course.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think one of the problems may have been touched upon, we can enter comps on the clubhouse computer for specific times so you can always play with your mates. It's seems to be the same bunch of guys playing together although in fairness, every time my usual PP and I have been drawn with strangers they've turned out to be really nice chaps. We've also played with some blokes who barely said a word and were just far too serious for their own good.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Reading through this thread have noticed that a lot of clubs have a draw for playing partners.
This strikes me as a good idea. At our club the comp list goes up and the usual people go on early
and always play together.
Its the same with the winter league the same 4 balls are always in the top three because
they can pick the players they know.

G

guest100718

You normally find it's the older "I've been a member here for 40 years" types that are the grief. Unfortunately, some of them think they own the club.
I found this to a certain extent at Crowborough Beacon when I first joined.
Highwoods was even worse, that's one of the reasons I left.

yes they are the worst!

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My place had a reputation for being a bit stuffy, cliquey and ignorant, but I have to say everyone I have met and played with has been fine. One or two maybe not my favourite to play with but no one that I would NOT play with.

As several have mentioned we get drawn comps and encourage people to mix in roll ups...

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thankfully at my club, everyone is quite friendly, around the car park and in the club house everyone at the very least acknowledges you, on the course though that can be different, some members can be total knobs, where it's just a head down blinkered mentality.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
Reading through this thread have noticed that a lot of clubs have a draw for playing partners.
This strikes me as a good idea. At our club the comp list goes up and the usual people go on early
and always play together.
Its the same with the winter league the same 4 balls are always in the top three because
they can pick the players they know.

Exactly what happens at our place.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Invited 3 mates down to play at Highwoods, Sunday teeing off time rules stated we couldn't go off the 1st until 1pm but we could tee off the 10th from 12 noon.
Course was completely empty, so we wandered around to the 10th at about 11.50am.
Nobody on the tee, nobody coming up the 8th or the 9th hole, so at 5 to 12 I stepped onto the tee and placed a tee peg in the ground ready to go.
Clubhouse door swings open and a guy shouts across "You can't tee off until 12 o'clock" and the door slammed shut again.
That one bloke confirmed the decision to leave for me.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Invited 3 mates down to play at Highwoods, Sunday teeing off time rules stated we couldn't go off the 1st until 1pm but we could tee off the 10th from 12 noon.
Course was completely empty, so we wandered around to the 10th at about 11.50am.
Nobody on the tee, nobody coming up the 8th or the 9th hole, so at 5 to 12 I stepped onto the tee and placed a tee peg in the ground ready to go.
Clubhouse door swings open and a guy shouts across "You can't tee off until 12 o'clock" and the door slammed shut again.

WOW!

That's just super plain rudeness! I hope you continued to play first? I would have had the right arse about that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Unbelievable. No wonder you've decided to leave. What an idiot

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have found people very friendly at our club, I often go up to play on my own and if there is anyone on their own or a 2ball I will ask if I can join them, normally they say yes, even people I don't know.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The friendliness of our club was one of the reasons why I joined. After a couple of months I wandered to the 10th to tuck in behind a seniors 3 ball. They were the first three ball on the course and the next players were half an hour behind. I was stood 20 yd away and one of the owd codgers shouts eyup lad do you want to join us. The youngest was 72 and they promptly kicked me butt. Nice and steady straight down the middle. Last hole a par 5 500 plus hole. Guy who was 76 yr old pitched in from 40 yd for a birdie. He danced all the way back to the clubhouse. His two mates faces were a picture.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the majority are a problem then it's more than likely you. I'm not saying it's you specifically but certainly something about you that isn't fitting with the mindset of the majority at the club. I'd be looking to join somewhere else.