Do some clubs know it's 2016.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The answer is no. Too many are stuck in a bygone era where people went on waiting lists and interviews were to be feared. Now clubs need to chase and charm us and many fail.

My son is moving from his old style club because they place too many restrictions on juniors and he is moving to a more progressive club. His old club don't understand why the lose juniors when they reach 16 despite being told repeatedly. Clubs need to act as a business and realise we are customers that need to be looked after.

What club is he going to?

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Tashyboy and our place is a perfect example of what he's on about.
1 email in 12 months, 1 noticeboard showing everything to clubs for sale to results to party invatations and some of it is 3 months out of date.
No Twitter acct, Fbook acct (we have one, but not kept up to date)
Maybe be going online booking system this year.
I've learnt more off this forum than anywhere else and have gone looking for the info in the Club.
Still haven't found the changes to this years rules displayed.
We're struggling for members and in risk of closing and the biggest issue has been the 5p rise on the price of a pint.
Someone mentioned on here there club had received awards for getting new members etc, and no other Clubs had bothered to get in touch.
Our results from a saturday comp are not published until at least the following wednesday, some clubs around here publish them on twitter/facebook on a saturday evening.
And yes when I retire in July I will be getting involved as many of the issues need volunteers to help.

The Facebook account is getting used a bit more now. Even had the twos prize on off the weekend!!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toss up between Burgham and Longhirst. He likes both but Longhirst has a junior section which he may get some added benefit from. Personally I prefer Burgham, particularly in terms of the clubhouse, but if he can get a bacon buttie and a lemonade after a game he is happy at either one. I may be moving with him, I'm not at his current course, and if that is the case I will steer him towards Burgham as that is my preferred option. Both places are well kept with cracking greens and are a good test. The clubhouse lets Longhirst down for me but that is a personal thing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Lakes course can swallow a few balls but you have two courses to choose from so you can play the slightly easier Dawson course if you want. Both are a good test and it is always in good condition to be fair. Not my first choice but it is decent enough and the Euro pro keeps coming back to it so they must be doing something right.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club markets itself as a traditional club but they seem to be getting to grips with technology and are improving all the time.

We do get regular e-mails about changes going on at the club, greenkeepers reports etc, updates on any major work planned.

They use twitter and facebook and post a course status at 7:30 everyday, including which greens are open or on temps etc. Which is really handy especially this time of year.

They have an on-line diary so we can see when comps are and when societies have the course booked.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't understand why more clubs don't regulary use social media, it's free advertising.

Not only that but it is so easy to use. Either the secretary or the pro in the shop should be updating every few days. For my money I would have the pro doing it as they can keep the tone friendly and they are at the heart of most clubs. Madness for clubs not to be using these mediums to both keep in touch with members and also showing themselves off to potential new ones.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can I just point out that booking systems are not everyone's cup of tea. We introduced one a few years ago and it completely killed the Saturday roll up. My previous club doesn't have one and they have a great roll up. Might have to wait 10-20 mins to tee off but so what so, spend it on the putting green adjacent to the 1st tee.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club does not use social media because of the age of the membership. The older people who are in the majority do not understand it so the club does not use it. The club has an online booking system for comps now but they still have to have an option for manual booking in the pro shop as the older members don't use computers

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can I just point out that booking systems are not everyone's cup of tea. We introduced one a few years ago and it completely killed the Saturday roll up. My previous club doesn't have one and they have a great roll up. Might have to wait 10-20 mins to tee off but so what so, spend it on the putting green adjacent to the 1st tee.

It all depends on how many people play in the comps, at my place on a Sat Summer medal there are 190-210 people playing and tee sheet full from 07:15 till 15:00. Would be absolute chaos without a booking system.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It all depends on how many people play in the comps, at my place on a Sat Summer medal there are 190-210 people playing and tee sheet full from 07:15 till 15:00. Would be absolute chaos without a booking system.

i agree Paul, works the other way too. No bugger plays in the comps at my place, you can look at the online booking and make sure there are not 50 yanks teeing off at 12 noon, then you can wait till 4 30 pm and only just catch then on the last few holes;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

How do you get that many people round in 1 day? Takes all day to get 150 people round in the Open.

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How do you get that many people round in 1 day? Takes all day to get 150 people round in the Open.

7 and 8 min intervals in 3 balls (ie 07:15, 07:22, 07:30, 07:37, 07:45 etc)

As I say, most of our Sat comps are jam packed. Would be impossible without a booking system.

Last edited: