Do some clubs know it's 2016.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was going to respond to stegsies rant but my comments could of took his post off topic.

was out on the lash with the lads last Saturday and we were talking golf on the train. I mentioned that our club members have had an email relating to Congu changes. they did not have a clue what I was on about, or even that there was going to be changes.
i told them about our club having two midweek Qualifying comps through the summer. they did not believe me til I showed them the links on my i phone showing day,date and comp format. They were gobsmacked asking how's that work. (Don't know myself but it's there).
I showed them the booking format we have so when you get to the tee there's no Queues. they were gobsmacked. One lad said the last time he got to the tee at Worksop there was 5 X fourballs waiting to get out before him. Now a four hour round plus half hour waiting on the tee is just so wrong.
Bottom line is if members are not informed re changes or prepared to "realise it is 2016" how do they survive.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm a bit confused at what you are actually ranting about ?

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You had a night out on a train?

Living the high life :D

Tommy_Train.jpg

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
When we were in a bit of a financial situation a couple of years ago it was proposed and we ran some mid week medals, with quiet a bit of success, more people on the course and in the clubhouse spending money.
Fixtures were published for last year and no mention of the midweek medals one or two mentioned it but nothing happened this years fixtures have been published and just the same, the midweeks seem a thing of the past.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'm a bit confused at what you are actually ranting about ?

It wasn't a rant phil it was an observation of how two differant clubs are run.
Ours, Norwood Park, Golf mark runners up 2014, every year something new is happening to the course, practice facilities. Etc
In the three years I have been a member, we have had, New club shop, new putting green, which enabled old putting green to become new pitching area, covered driving course. Improved par three, currently doing a massive amount of work thinning out trees to make the course look better.
Sat on the train and I/ we were talking about my recent scores (and I never brought up the subject a PP did) anyway I mentioned about CONGU and hcaps going up and they did not have a clue what I/we were on about. There club has not told them so how do they find out what the most radical changes to hcaps in years are?
I mentioned about our comps, two every week, over a twenty week period fortyish comps. A guy who plays at Worksop said Quote " We will be lucky to get half that amount, and there will be hardly any Medals because the established members do not like them". Eh how's that work out.
listening to them it seems that one club is stuck in the 1960's and they did not seem happy about it.
so my original question still stands, do some clubs know it is 2016.

Tashyboy

Visit site
When we were in a bit of a financial situation a couple of years ago it was proposed and we ran some mid week medals, with quiet a bit of success, more people on the course and in the clubhouse spending money.
Fixtures were published for last year and no mention of the midweek medals one or two mentioned it but nothing happened this years fixtures have been published and just the same, the midweeks seem a thing of the past.

And that is what I am on about. 👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answer is no. Too many are stuck in a bygone era where people went on waiting lists and interviews were to be feared. Now clubs need to chase and charm us and many fail.

My son is moving from his old style club because they place too many restrictions on juniors and he is moving to a more progressive club. His old club don't understand why the lose juniors when they reach 16 despite being told repeatedly. Clubs need to act as a business and realise we are customers that need to be looked after.

D

Deleted member 15344

It wasn't a rant phil it was an observation of how two differant clubs are run.
Ours, Norwood Park, Golf mark runners up 2014, every year something new is happening to the course, practice facilities. Etc
In the three years I have been a member, we have had, New club shop, new putting green, which enabled old putting green to become new pitching area, covered driving course. Improved par three, currently doing a massive amount of work thinning out trees to make the course look better.
Sat on the train and I/ we were talking about my recent scores (and I never brought up the subject a PP did) anyway I mentioned about CONGU and hcaps going up and they did not have a clue what I/we were on about. There club has not told them so how do they find out what the most radical changes to hcaps in years are?
I mentioned about our comps, two every week, over a twenty week period fortyish comps. A guy who plays at Worksop said Quote " We will be lucky to get half that amount, and there will be hardly any Medals because the established members do not like them". Eh how's that work out.
listening to them it seems that one club is stuck in the 1960's and they did not seem happy about it.
so my original question still stands, do some clubs know it is 2016.

Well the communication in regards the HCs has been all over every single media outlet for the past 6 months since the announcement - newsletters etc have been sent out to every club and people registered with EGU and indeed it's been announced in newsletters on every HC/Comp system that clubs use - HDID etc - so if they don't know about it then maybe it's not the clubs fault

As for the comps - there is a growing trend for people to actually play less comps and indeed less medals - we have reduced ours because we listened to what the members wanted - it seems the Worksop course are also listening to their members and tailoring their comps to the needs of the members - that to me suggests they are very much in 2016

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The answer is no. Too many are stuck in a bygone era where people went on waiting lists and interviews were to be feared. Now clubs need to chase and charm us and many fail.

My son is moving from his old style club because they place too many restrictions on juniors and he is moving to a more progressive club. His old club don't understand why the lose juniors when they reach 16 despite being told repeatedly. Clubs need to act as a business and realise we are customers that need to be looked after.

This is pretty much how I feel about it at the moment also.

Some not all clubs are stuck with outdated rules / restrictions , some are progressive and inviting. If you were looking for a course where would you go?

Tashyboy

Visit site

Dont know how to paste and copy both your and Phils posts so here goes. Your post is what happened at Worksop. People were on waiting lists at Worksop which is an excellent course, but unaware, behind the scenes is poorly run.
a few years ago they were desperate for cash so the only way they could get it was to open the doors for anyone to join. Because it was nice course, they never struggled for New members. They got the cash required, but now members, new members realise that the older members don't want change. that change involves something that has been around for years. The Internet.
Phil Re all the information you have provided re how the Congu changes have been announced, I found out through reading on here and mainly through my club website.
If your club does not inform you of changes to the national game, a club you pay your brass/membership to. Most golfers will only find out through the grapevine.
Incidently, I wonder how many on here have been informed through there clubs of changes.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dont know how to paste and copy both your and Phils posts so here goes. Your post is what happened at Worksop. People were on waiting lists at Worksop which is an excellent course, but unaware, behind the scenes is poorly run.
a few years ago they were desperate for cash so the only way they could get it was to open the doors for anyone to join. Because it was nice course, they never struggled for New members. They got the cash required, but now members, new members realise that the older members don't want change. that change involves something that has been around for years. The Internet.
Phil Re all the information you have provided re how the Congu changes have been announced, I found out through reading on here and mainly through my club website.
If your club does not inform you of changes to the national game, a club you pay your brass/membership to. Most golfers will only find out through the grapevine.
Incidently, I wonder how many on here have been informed through there clubs of changes.

Or maybe their club has told them in emails and there are notices at the relevant places - I would be amazed at any club that hasn't published the changes as they are required too.

Most golfers read websites , magazines , newsletters plus many many more publications of sort.

I was asked constantly last year about the changes and we hadn't published them yet - the members knew before the club said anything. A golfer would have had to not read one single article to not know about any changes

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well the communication in regards the HCs has been all over every single media outlet for the past 6 months since the announcement - newsletters etc have been sent out to every club and people registered with EGU and indeed it's been announced in newsletters on every HC/Comp system that clubs use - HDID etc - so if they don't know about it then maybe it's not the clubs fault

On that bit Phil, I think the club does need to take the lead, even if it is really the responsibility of the member. There are an awful lot of club golfers out there who don't know themselves that it's 2016! I think we forget sometimes that pretty much everyone on this forum is a bit of a golf geek and follows things like this more closely than most others.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had an e-mail couple of weeks ago about the changes to allowances and was amazed to find out that this was news for a lot of the regular fiddle members .

Tashyboy

Visit site
Or maybe their club has told them in emails and there are notices at the relevant places - I would be amazed at any club that hasn't published the changes as they are required too.

Most golfers read websites , magazines , newsletters plus many many more publications of sort.

I was asked constantly last year about the changes and we hadn't published them yet - the members knew before the club said anything. A golfer would have had to not read one single article to not know about any changes

One of the lads who was asking if I have Mexican blood is a typical miner. Good worker and a good laugh.
Another, Tony is a good lad, good golfer and been at Worksop for years, his young lad is a very good golfer and has been all over the county having lessons run by Notts golf. Followed his lad all over the county and told me one Monday morning how bogged off he was. Watched his lad hit every golf ball on a course. Ended up at Norwood with his lad having county lessons. Bumped into a couple of the lads from the pit and asked his lad if it was ok to have a coffee with his pals and catch up on gossip. kid says ok and Goes out for lessons on the par three course. Two hours later his lad walks in and tells his dad he has just got his first hole in one.
Dad was gutted. Anyway Tony has his finger on the pulse re everything to do with golf. He thought I was taking the mick when I was telling him about the changes in hcap. He and dave honestly thought and think it was a norwood ruling.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the lads who was asking if I have Mexican blood is a typical miner. Good worker and a good laugh.
Another, Tony is a good lad, good golfer and been at Worksop for years, his young lad is a very good golfer and has been all over the county having lessons run by Notts golf. Followed his lad all over the county and told me one Monday morning how bogged off he was. Watched his lad hit every golf ball on a course. Ended up at Norwood with his lad having county lessons. Bumped into a couple of the lads from the pit and asked his lad if it was ok to have a coffee with his pals and catch up on gossip. kid says ok and Goes out for lessons on the par three course. Two hours later his lad walks in and tells his dad he has just got his first hole in one.
Dad was gutted. Anyway Tony has his finger on the pulse re everything to do with golf. He thought I was taking the mick when I was telling him about the changes in hcap. He and dave honestly thought and think it was a norwood ruling.

He may have his finger on the pulse but he's not paying much attention. What did he say when you told him anchored putters have been banned ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree with Tashyboy and our place is a perfect example of what he's on about.
1 email in 12 months, 1 noticeboard showing everything to clubs for sale to results to party invatations and some of it is 3 months out of date.
No Twitter acct, Fbook acct (we have one, but not kept up to date)
Maybe be going online booking system this year.
I've learnt more off this forum than anywhere else and have gone looking for the info in the Club.
Still haven't found the changes to this years rules displayed.
We're struggling for members and in risk of closing and the biggest issue has been the 5p rise on the price of a pint.
Someone mentioned on here there club had received awards for getting new members etc, and no other Clubs had bothered to get in touch.
Our results from a saturday comp are not published until at least the following wednesday, some clubs around here publish them on twitter/facebook on a saturday evening.
And yes when I retire in July I will be getting involved as many of the issues need volunteers to help.

Tashyboy

Visit site
He may have his finger on the pulse but he's not paying much attention. What did he say when you told him anchored putters have been banned ;)

They have banned anchored putters? Since flippin when. If they ban my anchored driver am packin in.😁