Do new balls depreciate over time ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ok I'm guessing quite a few will have me on ignore by now but for those who haven't, what's your thoughts on this ??

Do you think balls that have been sitting about, still in their box, but brand new, depreciate in condition..

For example ProV1s, just as an example..

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok I'm guessing quite a few will have me on ignore by now but for those who haven't, what's your thoughts on this ??

Do you think balls that have been sitting about, still in their box, but brand new, depreciate in condition..

For example ProV1s, just as an example..

I think if they have been kept in a normal temperature/environment they should be fine.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kept in a normal environment, not exposed to the sun or stuck in a damp shed etc I don't see why they would.

I recently got about 6 boxes of TM TP5's and Srixon AD Tours popped them all in a cupboard in a spare bedroom till required.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, dependent on the balls construction and the conditions it's in.

I have boxes of brand new 384pts wound balls that look perfect but act inconsistently.

The difference between a ProV1 from 5 years ago that's sat in silt and one that's just been in the bag, in the porch, for 5 years is also noticeable when striking it.

On the other hand, one that sat in a nice warm clean water hazard for a couple of months and one that's straight out of the factory, are impossible to discernce in practice.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I mentioned Prov1s specifically because I have a dozen that have sat in my spare bedroom for ten years, untouched. last night I put a uv light on them and they were discoloured much like any other ball that has sat about for time. These balls have not been exposed to sunlight or cold but under the light they look like crap.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can appreciate why an old wound ball would depreciate but I don't understand the science behind why a new modern ball kept in an ambient condition would de-grade significantly. Any scientists about ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ball.jpg

Here is a picture just taken of a brand new chrome soft and a brand new, yet ten year old prov1, not sure if you can see clearly but the prov1 under the uv light looks terrible.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How does it perform though?
Don't think I am ever likely to keep a new ball that long mind.

I don't know how it performs, it's new :whistle:

They are there because I've been away from the game for such a long time, but I wasn't going to throw them out, so they were with all my golfing stuff that's just sat there for years.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think early ProVs did discolour but they sorted that in later editions
Pretty sure the head Ball Honcho at Titleist said in the magazine that any ProV would work fine and last until you lost it.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Pretty sure the head Ball Honcho at Titleist said in the magazine that any ProV would work fine and last until you lost it.

See I take that with a pinch of salt, have you ever heard a company exec. saying anything bad about their product other than Gerald Ratner ?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought a couple of boxes of Taylormade Lethal from JJB when they went bust and have just started to use them. Performance seems fine but with winter golf would you notice any difference?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If anyone finds they have piles of new balls they find offensively old then I'll be happy to take them off your hands 😁. I can deal with their "issues".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Titleist said a few years back at a ball fitting I was invited to with GM it wouldn't make too much difference but a ball submerged in water would really fluctuate compared to both a new and older model

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Now I'm a bit peed aff cause when I find balls they get the UV light test, if they look good under the light they can go in my bounce game pocket, if they are mint under the light, they go in my game pocket but if they look gash, as per my pick, straight in to the practise bag, looks like I loobed loads of good balls in the practise bag :whoo:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now I'm a bit peed aff cause when I find balls they get the UV light test, if they look good under the light they can go in my bounce game pocket, if they are mint under the light, they go in my game pocket but if they look gash, as per my pick, straight in to the practise bag, looks like I loobed loads of good balls in the practise bag :whoo:[/QUOTE

Don't be to upset I am sure you needed the practice

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Now I'm a bit peed aff cause when I find balls they get the UV light test, if they look good under the light they can go in my bounce game pocket, if they are mint under the light, they go in my game pocket but if they look gash, as per my pick, straight in to the practise bag, looks like I loobed loads of good balls in the practise bag :whoo:

Caddy dear boy why were you loobing up golf balls... on 2nd :rofl:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Titleist said a few years back at a ball fitting I was invited to with GM it wouldn't make too much difference but a ball submerged in water would really fluctuate compared to both a new and older model

so titleist said that balls you drag out the water are not very good so you should buy some new ones? :whistle:

Imagine that