Do new balls depreciate over time ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in Sunday’s comp, tee’d up on the 3rd with a brand new Chromesoft and sliced it wildly into the horses field never to be seen again.

Stuck down a provisional (always the optimist) which was a Pro V1 that I’d found in the bushes a week or so back and looked as though it’d been out a while. Stuck that even further right. Proof if proof we’re needed that older balls do perform worse than their newer compatriots.

I didn't want to believe this but your evidence sounds like irrefutable proof to me. Darn it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes tot he brightness of the white on the colour of the ball it is probably a bit like white paint work in the house. Paintwork that is out of the light behind furniture turns yellow.

someone mentioned Titleist Wound balls. Wound balls definitely deteriorate. Titleist used to say they had a shelf life of years and boxes of Tour Balatas used to have a use by date on them.

My own experience that some balls seem to go harder as they age. I've got a box of unused Callaway Tour i (S) . The reason they have not been used is because the have now become a bit 'clicky' off the putter face.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't understand why everyone is going on about ball performance. The OP is asking if old balls are worth less than new balls.

Yes they are, I wouldn't pay £45 for a dozen old Pro V's. :thup:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone is going on about ball performance. The OP is asking if old balls are worth less than new balls.

Yes they are, I wouldn't pay £45 for a dozen old Pro V's. :thup:

My sides, my sides, stop it please, my sides...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am currently playing Callaway Hex tour from 2005. I found a new box of 12 round my Dads house. They are a tad firm, but in my view always were. For a winter ball they are fine. I have not noticed any difference in performance from a new modern ball. I am not suddenly 20 yards shorter, certainly.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am currently playing Callaway Hex tour from 2005. I found a new box of 12 round my Dads house. They are a tad firm, but in my view always were. For a winter ball they are fine. I have not noticed any difference in performance from a new modern ball. I am not suddenly 20 yards shorter, certainly.

Just 13 years older....:whoo:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would looking at balls under UV light achieve? What are you expecting to see?

Can't get my head around how a UV light can show you anything to do with a balls performance?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would looking at balls under UV light achieve? What are you expecting to see?

Can't get my head around how a UV light can show you anything to do with a balls performance?

i take my nephew ball picking using a uv light. the ones that shine brightest just tend to be the newer ones with the lacquer still intact. that doesn't effect performance imo

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a small golf shop in the village near our golf club and the owner put a box of Dunlop 65's, still in their individual wrappers, in the window of the shop. It didn't take long before they started to explode! Beware how old the balls are before you start playing with them :D