Do I not like that....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not allowing the wearing of hats inside an establishment that will happily sell them to you is about as logical as being told you can't drink your beer in the bar after a round...

Dress codes in general need a bit of looking over at a lot of golf courses.
Any club that has something like "gentleman may wear" and "ladies may wear" in their dress codes, well whether we like it or not, that terminology is outdated.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not allowing the wearing of hats inside an establishment that will happily sell them to you is about as logical as being told you can't drink your beer in the bar after a round...

Any club that has something like "gentleman may wear" and "ladies may wear" in their dress codes, well whether we like it or not, that terminology is outdated.

The hats at our pro shop are displayed on a hat stand outside, so we are covered for that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always liked jacket and tie after club matches or society days.

If the weather is very hot or very rainy, it usually protects you from sitting next to a smelly git who comes in to eat in the clothes they played I'm. 🤣🤣

Now that is an annoyance
Or, the smelly git simply changes into a jacket and tie, overheats further and gets smellier 🤷‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why? Because I just think hats shouldn’t be worn indoors and untucked polos just look messy. Just my opinion, other people can think differently and that’s fine.

I don’t look at it as black and white, I said earlier I didn’t agree with all of the “traditions” so I’m quite happy for golf to move with the times.
Yeah but, your opinion doesn't matter. To be upset about a bit of material on someone else's head is daft, in my opinion - opinions differ so you can't mandate based on some people's opinions. Some people will think trainers are scruffy but most golf clubs have moved on enough to let you wear them in the clubhouse, yet there's other things like that hats that they haven't moved on with at all.

I personally think tucked in polos look terrible on a lot of golfers as it accentuates their fat beer gut! As such they should have the freedom to wear it in or out as they please. A grown-up telling another grown-up to tuck their shirt in is just ridiculous, it's like being back at school.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah but, your opinion doesn't matter. To be upset about a bit of material on someone else's head is daft, in my opinion - opinions differ so you can't mandate based on some people's opinions. Some people will think trainers are scruffy but most golf clubs have moved on enough to let you wear them in the clubhouse, yet there's other things like that hats that they haven't moved on with at all.

I personally think tucked in polos look terrible on a lot of golfers as it accentuates their fat beer gut! As such they should have the freedom to wear it in or out as they please. A grown-up telling another grown-up to tuck their shirt in is just ridiculous, it's like being back at school.

My opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s. Also, just because that’s my opinion on hats and shirts does not turn me into a dress code warrior, I’ll take my hat off and tuck my shirt in because it’s my preference but don’t think I’ve ever told someone to follow suit. I’m sure I don’t care enough about it to do that, by the time I’m on any sort of committee that would have to enforce any rules you will likely be able to play in a thong if you so wish.
I do have the opinion though that if I choose to join somewhere or play somewhere that has certain rules then I’ll follow them. If you don’t like the rules enough (as you’re entitled to), then just don’t visit those places.

D-S

Visit site

Especially when the person doing the telling off looks an absolute mess but complies with the outdated dress code.
Personally I think a lot of people look dreadful (men with long socks with shorts for example) - I reserve the right to judge them, however I wouldn’t dream of denying them access to a facility based on their dress sense.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Once upon a time it was jacket & tie in the clubhouse. Then it became jacket & tie in the lounge. Then it became jacket & tie in the lounge after 6pm. Then it became jacket & tie after 6pm on a Thursday evening. Waiting for the Captain to say, “gentlemen, you may remove your jackets,” on a hot Aug evening was purgatory. Thankfully, times have moved on.

Knee length socks? Why? Shorts must be no longer than 2” above the knee? Why? Ankle socks must be white? Why?

Way back in the late 60’s, as a junior, I had to change my shoes in the green keeper’s shed. Why? How stupid, and dangerous. Clubs continue to evolve but will always lag behind as new members join and longer ‘serving’ members baulk at the request for change.

The odd rule actually had some sense behind them but was rarely explained. For example, do not change your shoes in the car park harks back to the days of metal spikes. Yes, shoes would carry mud onto the car park but that wasn’t really much of a problem. Metal spikes can break up the surface of a tarmac’d car park, best evidenced where most players exited the car park. Is it actually a chore to change your shoes in the clubhouse?

But as to who wears what, I’ve seen enough arguments about dress code in the last 50+ years not to care if Joe Bloggs has his shirt out, in trainers and wearing jeans. However, if a club has a rule I’ll abide by it for the simple reason that it’s the members that decide the rules. And if enough members don’t like a rule, there’s always the AGM. Me deciding to go against a rule would be me going against the member’s wishes, which I feel is disrespectful.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dress codes are just good old British classism. Effectively the expression if preconceived ideas about who should be in a golf club, and who shouldnt. And if its someone who shouldnt, at least force them to look as if they belong, so that our own sense of self worth and exclusivity is not offended. This is the case if there is any dress code whatsoever.

sunshine

Visit site
Why? Because I just think hats shouldn’t be worn indoors and untucked polos just look messy. Just my opinion, other people can think differently and that’s fine.

Looking messy is no justification for a dress code rule. Many many golfers look like a complete tramp whilst still complying with the rules.

The hat thing I agree with, but that’s not golf specific. In general it looks wrong to see people in restaurants wearing hats.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

People who wear hats in a golf clubhouse do look a bit 'uncultured'. IMVHO.
I suspect mainly baldies. ;):eek:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I visited a very progressive club the other day, in the clubhouse everyone had their umbrellas up because they'd bought them in the proshop.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s. Also, just because that’s my opinion on hats and shirts does not turn me into a dress code warrior, I’ll take my hat off and tuck my shirt in because it’s my preference but don’t think I’ve ever told someone to follow suit. I’m sure I don’t care enough about it to do that, by the time I’m on any sort of committee that would have to enforce any rules you will likely be able to play in a thong if you so wish.
I do have the opinion though that if I choose to join somewhere or play somewhere that has certain rules then I’ll follow them. If you don’t like the rules enough (as you’re entitled to), then just don’t visit those places.
You missed my point completely regarding opinions. We're talking about mandated rules here that affect everyone, they should be based on something more solid than the whim of opinion. Just because you or the next man likes to see shirts in and hats off doesn't mean it should be an actual rule, since there would be at least a similar number of people who don't give a stuff. Just treat adults like grown-ups and let them dress themselves.

If you gave me a choice of two people, one of whom needs to be removed from the clubhouse - person one, a chap who's simply walked in a left the cap on that he was wearing, and person two, a chap who sees someone wearing a hat indoors and is so irate about it that it ruins his day. It would be the second person I'd remove, as he comes across as a psychopath to me.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Once upon a time it was jacket & tie in the clubhouse. Then it became jacket & tie in the lounge. Then it became jacket & tie in the lounge after 6pm. Then it became jacket & tie after 6pm on a Thursday evening. Waiting for the Captain to say, “gentlemen, you may remove your jackets,” on a hot Aug evening was purgatory. Thankfully, times have moved on.

Knee length socks? Why? Shorts must be no longer than 2” above the knee? Why? Ankle socks must be white? Why?

Way back in the late 60’s, as a junior, I had to change my shoes in the green keeper’s shed. Why? How stupid, and dangerous. Clubs continue to evolve but will always lag behind as new members join and longer ‘serving’ members baulk at the request for change.

The odd rule actually had some sense behind them but was rarely explained. For example, do not change your shoes in the car park harks back to the days of metal spikes. Yes, shoes would carry mud onto the car park but that wasn’t really much of a problem. Metal spikes can break up the surface of a tarmac’d car park, best evidenced where most players exited the car park. Is it actually a chore to change your shoes in the clubhouse?

But as to who wears what, I’ve seen enough arguments about dress code in the last 50+ years not to care if Joe Bloggs has his shirt out, in trainers and wearing jeans. However, if a club has a rule I’ll abide by it for the simple reason that it’s the members that decide the rules. And if enough members don’t like a rule, there’s always the AGM. Me deciding to go against a rule would be me going against the member’s wishes, which I feel is disrespectful.

Whilst I don’t have 50 years experience, the last paragraph here sums it up well for me.

I’m not one for circular arguments, so I’ll do a Bob now.