Do Folks Think This Is Acceptable?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lol - if it were some "other" course, then they may have been asked to leave. Probably by hole 5.

Certainly not a course I'd want to visit then with such prejudice views. No one else seemed to have a problem including the members let through prior to the incident. You're either deliberately fishing and looking to provoke an argument or you have some very strange views on those in less rude health than yourself being able to enjoy this great game

Gazboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but anyone that has to let through 4 groups on a quiet day and still find time to complain about other groups playing behind clearly has issues beyond the normal reasoning of what is deemed "acceptable" by most courses patrolled by marshals throughout the civilised world. Your opinion may vary of course, but once stuck behind said 4 ball, I'm willing bet it may be somewhat different. We've heard the opinion of an actual member of Hayling Island - maybe if we're lucky we can also hear the side of the story from the "bad" 3 ball?

You're painting a very poor picture of yourself.

It doesn't sound like anyone was stuck behind the OP's four ball - from what I gather they were letting groups through as soon as they caught up. I'd be thrilled to bits to play behind such a self-aware & cooperative group.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry, but anyone that has to let through 4 groups on a quiet day and still find time to complain about other groups playing behind clearly has issues beyond the normal reasoning of what is deemed "acceptable" by most courses patrolled by marshals throughout the civilised world. Your opinion may vary of course, but once stuck behind said 4 ball, I'm willing bet it may be somewhat different. We've heard the opinion of an actual member of Hayling Island - maybe if we're lucky we can also hear the side of the story from the "bad" 3 ball?

Please read his first post again

One player partner has just had a heart by pass , another is recovering from cancer

They were fully aware of their speed of play and allowed groups to pass

The issue the OP has is with someone appearing to rush up to them whilst they were teeing off still asking them to move along etc - even before they had finished the hole themselves - it appears that they werent getting held up and possibly the 3 ball were prempting not being allowed through when im pretty sure if they just carried on as normal then the OP and his group would have left them through.

I think its clear you havent read the OP and would suggest you read it again before carrying on

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site

One player partner has just had a heart by pass , another is recovering from cancer

The issue the OP has is with someone appearing to rush up to them whilst they were teeing off still asking them to move along etc - even before they had finished the hole themselves - it appears that they werent getting held up and possibly the 3 ball were prempting not being allowed through when im pretty sure if they just carried on as normal then the OP and his group would have left them through.

I think its clear you havent read the OP and would suggest you read it again before carrying on

Phil he has understood that, but says that's just an excuse for slow play. Just glad I don't play with anyone that bigoted.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like your slow partners have done you a favour then ;)

Unfortunately there are rude people in all walks of life, as a club Hayling is generally pretty friendly so it's a shame this has spoiled your experience of a great course. I hope it doesn't put you off coming back in the future :thup:

Its probably has put them off. The other issue is that these guys probably have arranged this visit for sometime and it's only natural that they WILL take longer then your members and yourself as you play it week in week out. I'm sure most on here who go to a never before played course will tend to be slower then usual, as you want to play your best on a course you've wanted to play for sometime? Is that SUCH an issue? so long as they are aware, which they were, to let the faster members thru and that will keep everyone happy. They want to enjoy the experience of a new course, the sights, the sounds, the design and don't want to pay good money to be then told in a manner that spoils it for them. It's money that's going towards your/that club! If it took them 6 hrs to play the round and let a number of groups thru, but they really enjoyed the day, guess what, they are likely to come back and next time they will know the lie of the land and possibly NOT hold anyone up. Patience is a virtue in Golf.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site

I have read it from top to tail - and clearly you've taken your normal know it all stance without reading the full thread. I'm fully aware of people and their physical and medical conditions, but not one of them - not one - can account for being so slow as to allow that many groups through - not even american tourists with one leg play that slowly.
To compound matters, the OP although aware of the nature of the slow pace of the rest of group, did nothing - nothing - to encourage a decent level of pace or otherwise act in a manner that was in keeping with section 1 (have you read it?) of the rules of golf.
They were in a complete bubble of their own (like your own) and showed a blatant disregard for the rest of the players out on the course - but we can't get their side of the story because your perceived idea of the OP's frailties prevent you from seeing the obvious. They were too slow. And the fact that anyone is actually endorsing their actions as a group is reprehensible (look it up). They were fully aware of nothing, other than their own small world. A bit like your own make-believe world of utopian golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have read it from top to tail - and clearly you've taken your normal know it all stance without reading the full thread. I'm fully aware of people and their physical and medical conditions, but not one of them - not one - can account for being so slow as to allow that many groups through - not even american tourists with one leg play that slowly.

To compound matters, the OP although aware of the nature of the slow pace of the rest of group, did nothing - nothing - to encourage a decent level of pace or otherwise act in a manner that was in keeping with section 1 (have you read it?) of the rules of golf.
Im fully aware of the rules of golf - im also fully aware that it is not a comp and some people just love being out therer

But what he should have said to the guys - dont worry i know you are both coming back from very serious illness but im afraid i must put your illness at risk by making you hurry up !!

Yes having those illness can account for that - on a friday morning we play with a guy who is fast approaching his 80's and struggles even in a buggy but loves being out there - we let about 5 or 6 groups through every week and everyone knows about him and think its great he is still out there - so sorry but you have failed to take into account their illnesses - failed horribly.

They were in a complete bubble of their own (like your own) and showed a blatant disregard for the rest of the players out on the course - but we can't get their side of the story because your perceived idea of the OP's frailties prevent you from seeing the obvious. They were too slow. And the fact that anyone is actually endorsing their actions as a group is reprehensible (look it up). They were fully aware of nothing, other than their own small world. A bit like your own make-believe world of utopian golf.

Actually you couldnt be more wrong - the highlighted part in his first post shows they were fully aware of other golfers hence why they let them through - if they hadnt let anyone through then your point would have been valid - they did - your point is invalid

What would you like them to do - just not play golf because their physical situation means they cant keep up with the pace you require ?

And finally - i am managing to respond to your posts without the need for any cheap digs - i request you show the same level of maturity.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Really? Either you're a troll of the highest order or you can't read.:rolleyes:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Just for once - admit you're wrong. Is it acceptable to be asked to speed up or let someone through? A yes or no will do. Forget about physical conditions, health, familiarity, age, or the actual pace or "tone". If your answer is no, then you are somewhat short of some maturity yourself - and I would request you show some humility rather than your normal arrogance.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just for once - admit you're wrong. Is it acceptable to be asked to speed up or let someone through? A yes or no will do. Forget about physical conditions, health, familiarity, age, or the actual pace or "tone". If your answer is no, then you are somewhat short of some maturity yourself - and I would request you show some humility rather than your normal arrogance.

Wrong about what ? When did i say it wasnt acceptable to ask someone to speed up or let someone through ?

And yes the tone does make a world of difference.

You clearly havent read the OP - clear as day .

And your attitude to people whose physical attirubutes and illness mean they cant play at everyone pace is actually disgusting tbh - would you like them to pass a fitness test before playing next time ?

They were slow - yes

They knew they were slow - yes

They let people through because they were slow - yes

They were slow because of a fully acceptable reason - yes

They would have let anyone through they were holding up - yes

Simple facts

D

Deleted member 15344

Simple facts? When did I ever say that their pace was a direct consequence of their physical condition or health? As a disabled person myself, I find your comments quite insulting actually.
Funny how they seem to be in direct conflict to comments made in this thread:
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?69657-Slow-Play-The-Real-Reason(s)

And the group in this OP dont fit into any of the categories i mention

Lack of awareness - nope they were fully aware and let people through

LAck of etiquette - nope they allowed people through

Elongated PSR - no idea

So you can point out exactly which comments direct conflict and i dont believe i have insulting you anywhere - but you can point them out if you so wish

Thankfully it appears that its just you that has an issue with the OP so i think i can clearer see where the issue is

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site

From the quote above , this does nothing at all for the game , acceptable by most courses ? My god , we are really entering into an area of discrimination , what next days for disabled/less fit people . If this is where we are headed just because someone wants to sprint round a course we are indeed in deep deep trouble . If this offends I am sorry but I feel all people whatever their physical condition/ability deserve equal consideration . I am glad where I play the people seem to be more caring than Nemicu .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
From the quote above , this does nothing at all for the game , acceptable by most courses ? My god , we are really entering into an area of discrimination , what next days for disabled/less fit people . If this is where we are headed just because someone wants to sprint round a course we are indeed in deep deep trouble . If this offends I am sorry but I feel all people whatever their physical condition/ability deserve equal consideration . I am glad where I play the people seem to be more caring than Nemicu .

Welcome aboard. Give this man a prize for one of the best early posts by any form member ever

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Thank you Homer I am sorry if I offend some but I always wish to be treated as I treat others and I hope I do that with respect and consideration , no matter who you are or how you are , I saddens me when I see stuff like what's been posted we all need to be a tad more tolerant and we would all be better off .

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats life , takes all sorts , move on , not easy too maybe but i wont lose any sleep on him , every dog has its day