Do Folks Think This Is Acceptable?

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good answer.
Anyone who has played Hayling Island will know that the 13th green and the 14th tee are at the extreme end of the course - and are literally a matter of feet apart. Perhaps the 3 ball saw the group ahead some holes before and saw this as their only opportunity to ask. Perhaps also they had to ask because they were in disbelief you were actually about to tee off rather than invite them through?
That's right - invite them through. To be honest, if someone parked their trolley by the tee, then it would've been glaringly obvious given your acceptance of slow play.
The 3 ball could've used slightly better choice of words perhaps, but their actions were probably born of sheer frustration at your oversight. It's all very well letting groups through, but when they have to ask for the favour it's a bit poor form on the part of the group ahead. Remember that letting groups through is not an answer to slow play - only an acceptance of it.

I think that nails it for me. I have walked to a tee box and the slow group in front have still been there, ignored us and tee'd off into open space (the group in front being long gone). It's totally unacceptable. It looks like the fast 3 ball were in the perfect place to be let through, they were putting out next to the OP teeing off. Pretty spot on as a place to wave someone through in my book. They could even have used the opportunity to seek advice on the next shot.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that nails it for me. I have walked to a tee box and the slow group in front have still been there, ignored us and tee'd off into open space (the group in front being long gone). It's totally unacceptable. It looks like the fast 3 ball were in the perfect place to be let through, they were putting out next to the OP teeing off. Pretty spot on as a place to wave someone through in my book. They could even have used the opportunity to seek advice on the next shot.
Excuse me but as I have already posted we were already on the Tee and balls in play before the 3 ball were ready in place to close out their hole, we had finished our drives and were hitting our seconds when they mounted the 14th Tee, we also knew exactly where we were playing to. Had the one golfer in the 3 had not decided to have his tuppence worth after only being held up 2-3 shots and got on with the hole he still had to finish then yes they would have more than likely been in the optimum position to pass us and we were fully prepared to let them through, but if the following group is not ready to pass why stand about for 5 minutes waiting for them to do so?
Again we get back to slow play and not the point of being asked to move aside in a curt manner, waiting for them to finish the hole would have just compounded the issue of slow play.

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Excuse me but as I have already posted we were already on the Tee and balls in play before the 3 ball were ready in place to close out their hole, we had finished our drives and were hitting our seconds when they mounted the 14th Tee, we also knew exactly where we were playing to. Had the one golfer in the 3 had not decided to have his tuppence worth after only being held up 2-3 shots and got on with the hole he still had to finish then yes they would have more than likely been in the optimum position to pass us and we were fully prepared to let them through, but if the following group is not ready to pass why stand about for 5 minutes waiting for them to do so?
Again we get back to slow play and not the point of being asked to move aside in a curt manner, waiting for them to finish the hole would have just compounded the issue of slow play.

How could you be playing your second shots if he pulled his trolly alongside you while you were on the tee box? If you were so far ahead, how did he have the chance to speak to you. Also you mentioned not knowing where you were going. But now you did?

I've missed something here. Sorry.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

In truth this was exactly my situation I described earlier. My 4 ball had all teed off and we had just left the tee as the 3 ball behind walked up to the 1st green - I am not even sure all their balls were on the green. We went across at that point and asked if they wanted to play through.

Knowing 100% that you would be letting them through that's the only thing I suggest that you might have done better/differently. I can imagine being in the 3 ball and being a little concerned that you wouldn't be as aware as you should be (and were) so might well have done the same thing

Last edited:

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How could you be playing your second shots if he pulled his trolly alongside you while you were on the tee box? If you were so far ahead, how did he have the chance to speak to you. Also you mentioned not knowing where you were going. But now you did?

I've missed something here. Sorry.

There are some holes where the shot is blind at Hayling even more so when you havent played the course before 13 is blind up and blind down unless you have a long shot, 14 is a dogleg play out to the flat stuff we knew exactly where we were going.(please read the whole thread) this chap came down the hill on the 13th his ball on the green and deviated his route a good 60yards + from his ball sat on the 13th green to have his say which he did when we had all Tee'd off.............. his ball was still on the 13th Green to be putted out. He was not in a position to play the 14th yet having not finished 13 does that make sense now?

Visit site
So in summary;

1. Slow 4 ball plays round and lets through faster groups when required in order not to inconvenience anyone.
2. Grumpy player having watched 4 ball approaches tee box "after" shots taken requesting to be let through in curt manner.
3. OP takes umbrage at tone even though they would have let them through - most likely once the 3 ball were on the tee.
4. Internet warrior pulls all of his own prejudices out in bid to prove he's right and everyone else on the forum is wrong. States disability is irrelevant and then brings up his own in order to make it relevant. Calls people names. Is generally childish.

That about sums it up for me.

You can go into the ins and outs of ailments, disabilities, being unfamiliar with the course and all of that. At the end of the day, the OP and his group were aware of their pace and aware enough to let all play through. I've no problem with a 4 ball taking 5 hours to play a round as long as they let those playing quicker through at the earliest opportunity.

They've paid their fees, they've every right to be on the course - just like we all do.

I play a lot just by myself and i know that i have no rights on the course so i don't ask to play through. Invariably i am allowed to play through but that's a courtesy, nothing more.

I was playing behind a 3 ball a couple of weeks ago and was in no rush. They asked if i wanted to play through (having hit their tee shots on a par 3) and i said it was no problem as i wasn't in a hurry. After the round, one of the group approached me in the car park to say thanks and that they appreciated me not pressurising them into rushing and thus spoiling their round.

People tend to forget that it doesn't cost to be courteous and polite - on the course and the net.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
To be honest if you strip out all the circumstantial stuff that the 3-ball had no knowledge of such as ailments and number of groups let through etc what we’re left with is this:

• 3-ball caught 4-ball up very quickly from being no-where to being on green adjacent to where 4-ball were teeing off on next hole
  • No sign from the 4-ball that you’d let 3-ball through
  • If 3-ball guy putts out first then the 4-ball will have left the tee-box and they’ve missed the opportunity to talk for goodness knows how many holes (they know the course remember)
  • ‘Can you speed up or let us through’ request made. (Every week on this forum we chastise following groups for not taking the opportunity to talk to a slow group)
  • OP (maybe a little embarrassed as usually a quick player) lets this request fester for remaining holes as you saw it as a bit ‘curt’
  • Forum then asked to decide if it was curt or not?

Pretty impossible I'm afraid but hope you enjoyed the first 12 holes at least

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[Mod Edit]

What exactly do you think personal insults brings to the topic of conversation? You might not agree with the other persons view point, but I'm not sure you needed to articulate your feelings in quite this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So in summary;

I play a lot just by myself and i know that i have no rights on the course so i don't ask to play through. Invariably i am allowed to play through but that's a courtesy, nothing more.

You have equal rights to any other group on the course.

EDIT: FWD beat me to it :)

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are some holes where the shot is blind at Hayling even more so when you havent played the course before 13 is blind up and blind down unless you have a long shot, 14 is a dogleg play out to the flat stuff we knew exactly where we were going.(please read the whole thread) this chap came down the hill on the 13th his ball on the green and deviated his route a good 60yards + from his ball sat on the 13th green to have his say which he did when we had all Tee'd off.............. his ball was still on the 13th Green to be putted out. He was not in a position to play the 14th yet having not finished 13 does that make sense now?

I understand the scenario now, thanks. And I did read your OP thanks. I don't understand why you were surprised to be asked to let them through though. I'd have gone over to you and asked too. You say you had teed off, but you were still on the tee box long enough for him to walk over and talk to you. The whole thing sounds a touch frustrating for anyone behind.

Perhaps it was his language or attitude that upset you more than the actual question?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
What exactly do you think personal insults brings to the topic of conversation? You might not agree with the other persons view point, but I'm not sure you needed to articulate your feelings in quite this way.

Considering nemicu had said they "don't get offended by being spoken to in a certain tone" and "is able to call things as they see them" I wouldn't expect them to get offended by my posts.
Additionally, it is my opinion and I believed that the forum was a place I could voice my opinion. They certainly voiced theirs

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering nemicu had said they "don't get offended by being spoken to in a certain tone" and "is able to call things as they see them" I wouldn't expect them to get offended by my posts.
Additionally, it is my opinion and I believed that the forum was a place I could voice my opinion. They certainly voiced theirs

What you voiced was an opinion of the individual who made the post and had absolutely nothing to do with the topic in hand. It has nothing to do with offending anyone.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
On reflection, I must apologise for some comments and participation in this thread. I have no excuse (no surprises there) but it's been a tough few months lately - and alcohol certainly doesn't make it any better.
Whilst open and frank discussion is always good, it's not when it gets aggressive, personal or littered with profanity. I have decided to take a self imposed hiatus from posting for the time being.
Apologies to all forum members - and in particular to the OP for running off on his thread.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On reflection, I must apologise for some comments and participation in this thread. I have no excuse (no surprises there) but it's been a tough few months lately - and alcohol certainly doesn't make it any better.
Whilst open and frank discussion is always good, it's not when it gets aggressive, personal or littered with profanity. I have decided to take a self imposed hiatus from posting for the time being.
Apologies to all forum members - and in particular to the OP for running off on his thread.

Accepted.

Didn't expect the bunfight it turned into when I started the thread!

I guess I had better keep under my hat the yarn about a 3 ball I was in joining up with the 3 ball in front to make a 6 ball (obviously), on a course bunged up like the M25 on a Bank Holiday Friday evening, for the last 3 holes with the light failing which created enough space for the 2 4 balls behind to get in before it was too dark.

I think that might turn into carnage too.................. :whistle: