Do Folks Think This Is Acceptable?

D

Deleted Member 1156

The issue here is being spoken to by one member of a group that were playing against the clock and had the ability to do so in a manner that was unacceptable given that we had only held them up for only 2 possibly 3 shots yet we were ready for them to pass us.

It is quite clear we only have your side of this story so it's not possible to make a judgement but as the group behind you were on the top of the hill at the 13th they would have been able to see the entire length of the 14th which is a par 5. Was the group in front of you in range at this point or was the hole clear? They may also have been aware that you had been holding groups up earlier and may have been held up themselves by you calling groups through. Every time a group is called through it can lead to a 5 minute hold up for those behind, multiply this by the 4 or 5 groups you had already called through and you can see why people start to get a bit grumpy.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can the OP clarify how many groups prior to the troublesome three ball were let through please.

3 groups of clubs members were let through all very polite, appreciative, and this was early on in the round. We were quite fortunate that as I have already said the course was quiet and we were playing a hole down on the group in front and there was absolutely nothing behind us from 6 till halfway down 12. I was already aware this 3 ball coming on holes well behind, they had not seen anyone play through us.

But still we get away from the main point of the thread.

I have already said that I was aware that 2 of our 4 were slow players. And not even dynamite would get them to move faster.
What do the know alls suggest, that we just left them (friends) behind.

I have already said that the course was quiet, there was nothing, zip, fresh bloody air behind us so there was no nasty log jam forming with queues across the car park on the 12 holes behind us.

I have also said that 2 of us were fully conscious of our pace and fully aware of other golfers around us. Slow players have no comprehension of the carnage forming behind them.
And with that in mind I don't need a smart mouthed keyboard warrior making me out to be F'ing useless and unfit to been seen on any golf course in the land....... I am normally in the group being held up on a course.

Once again to reiterate 2 of us were fully aware of the short comings of our 4, all through this thread I have not hidden from the fact that we were slow, I have also said that 2 of us were FULLY AWARE OF OTHER GOLFERS and managed the situation so as not to be a pain in the backside or hindrance.

The issue that I raised occurred at a blind spot of the course the fast group behind was held up for 2-3 shots NOT 2-3 holes. But being spoken too like we had held them up for 13 holes WHILST their hole was still to be finished. At no time until that point were they close enough to be told to prepare for being called through, but this one chap decided to have his tuppence worth straight off the bat.

This was not intended to be about slow play, because from the outset that has never been denied, it was a question of being spoken to in a curt manner by a golfer in a group held for the first time in their round for 2-3 shots.

D

Deleted member 15344

Simply put - no I don't think it was acceptable

It's clear you were aware of your pace and fully accepting of having to let people through and would have let them through when you had the chance if you were holding them up

I'm not a fan of slow play but at times the pace is slow but it's when a group loses holes and doesn't allow the groups behind to go through - that's a lack of awareness of fellow golfers and a lack of etiquette - but that's something you and your party can't be accused off.

D

Deleted Member 1156

"can you speed it up or call the quicker group behind you through, there is a 4 ball behind us"

So this bit is your issue? Did he shout or bark it at you? Did he ask in a nice way? I have done exactly this in the past in a nice pleasant manner and generally the group has apologised or said they will make an effort to hurry up. As it stands, I'm not really sure what your issue is, I'm sure in the past you have asked a slower group to try to speed up?

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
So the course was quiet and you still had to let through 4 groups (that we know of?) in total?? Your pace must have been amazing.
And you're wondering why someone had to approach you in a tone that you found "distressing"? Unbelievable.

D

Deleted member 15344

So the course was quiet and you still had to let through 4 groups (that we know of?) in total?? Your pace must have been amazing.
And you're wondering why someone had to approach you in a tone that you found "distressing"? Unbelievable.

Have you not read the ailgnments of the people he was playing with ?

As long as they were showing awareness of others by letting people through then their pace is no issue.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So this bit is your issue? Did he shout or bark it at you? Did he ask in a nice way? I have done exactly this in the past in a nice pleasant manner and generally the group has apologised or said they will make an effort to hurry up. As it stands, I'm not really sure what your issue is, I'm sure in the past you have asked a slower group to try to speed up?

As I have said it was curt no politeness, just the tone of "get out of my way", before any of us could say anything.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you not read the ailgnments of the people he was playing with ?

As long as they were showing awareness of others by letting people through then their pace is no issue.
Nope he hasn't read anything he has made his mind up that we are pariahs, he just keeps marking up the internet smart points he is scoring on the chart he has on the back of his single bedroom door while his Mum cooks his dinner, tomorrow he will be sat in the outside lane of an empty motorway doing 70mph refusing to let anyone past him as in doing so they will be breaking the law, dont you know.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Sorry but you're way out of order. I happen to admire these guys for playing with their problems and all you seem to do is look at them as some kind of pariahs. They've acknowledge they knew they were slow and doing everything in their power to let others through on a course that had little traffic and so there wasn't an undue backlog building up. It's the issue with the way this particular group approached the question of being let through the OP is questioning. With no one behind the group looking to go through and with the group in question already aware of their presence they should have asked politely or putted out first at which time they would have been invited through without a problem

D

Deleted Member 1156

When I got home I found My Wife had claimed on the insurance and married someone else :eek:oo: ;)

Sounds like your slow partners have done you a favour then ;)

Unfortunately there are rude people in all walks of life, as a club Hayling is generally pretty friendly so it's a shame this has spoiled your experience of a great course. I hope it doesn't put you off coming back in the future :thup:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope he hasn't read anything he has made his mind up that we are pariahs, he just keeps marking up the internet smart points he is scoring on the chart he has on the back of his single bedroom door while his Mum cooks his dinner, tomorrow he will be sat in the outside lane of an empty motorway doing 70mph refusing to let anyone past him as in doing so they will be breaking the law, dont you know.

:rofl::thup:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry but you're way out of order. I happen to admire these guys for playing with their problems and all you seem to do is look at them as some kind of pariahs. They've acknowledge they knew they were slow and doing everything in their power to let others through on a course that had little traffic and so there wasn't an undue backlog building up. It's the issue with the way this particular group approached the question of being let through the OP is questioning. With no one behind the group looking to go through and with the group in question already aware of their presence they should have asked politely or putted out first at which time they would have been invited through without a problem

Sorry, but anyone that has to let through 4 groups on a quiet day and still find time to complain about other groups playing behind clearly has issues beyond the normal reasoning of what is deemed "acceptable" by most courses patrolled by marshals throughout the civilised world. Your opinion may vary of course, but once stuck behind said 4 ball, I'm willing bet it may be somewhat different. We've heard the opinion of an actual member of Hayling Island - maybe if we're lucky we can also hear the side of the story from the "bad" 3 ball?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry, but anyone that has to let through 4 groups on a quiet day and still find time to complain about other groups playing behind clearly has issues beyond the normal reasoning of what is deemed "acceptable" by most courses patrolled by marshals throughout the civilised world. Your opinion may vary of course, but once stuck behind said 4 ball, I'm willing bet it may be somewhat different. We've heard the opinion of an actual member of Hayling Island - maybe if we're lucky we can also hear the side of the story from the "bad" 3 ball?

I think you're way out of line. Empty course, impeccable etiquette letting others through. Not sure what the other side of the story is going to prove. It won't change the events nor make a difference to your out of step thoughts

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you're way out of line. Empty course, impeccable etiquette letting others through. Not sure what the other side of the story is going to prove. It won't change the events nor make a difference to your out of step thoughts

Lol - if it were some "other" course, then they may have been asked to leave. Probably by hole 5.