Do Folks Think This Is Acceptable?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the group wanting to come through had a point although the OP's group were already aware of the situation and would have made the gesture had they not had to consider the blind shot and work out the best way. I think the way the upcoming group looked to get through was tactless and unnecessary and could have been handled and asked in a much friendlier way.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
so did you let them through?

They were quicker, they were waiting on shots, you know you are slow (perfectly acceptable), you've let ppl thru already, so whats the issue? let them through as well.

Of course we let them through.

The issue is being spoken to like we had been blatantly holding them up for 13 holes not 2 shots and doing so with their own hole to still play out.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the group wanting to come through had a point although the OP's group were already aware of the situation and would have made the gesture had they not had to consider the blind shot and work out the best way. I think the way the upcoming group looked to get through was tactless and unnecessary and could have been handled and asked in a much friendlier way.

I agree with this post.
Then again, the slow group could (and should) have handled it a lot better too perhaps. Once the 3 ball had ambled over to the tee, why not take the initiative and announce your intentions to let them through once you have teed off? It totally leaves the 3 ball with no come back other than a polite thank you. Very little effort on the part of the 4 ball- especially when you consider they are by their own admission doing very little to speed up their pace of play. As for injuries, fitness levels and ability when it comes to "slow play" - I don't see any reason why the "ethic" of pace of play has any bearing on that. I've played with many players would were old, disabled, amputees - even blind - and none of them displayed any signs of being "slow" relative to their ability. Sure, people have varying paces, but there is no excuse for blatantly adopting the stance that "we're slow - get over it". Every effort should be made to play at a reasonable pace, because simply letting everyone through on the course is not a solution to the problem of slow play - and clearly it frustrates a number of other golfers out on the course. Slow play is slow play. Pace is relative.
Sorry, but I'm really not going to give any sympathy to the OP - did they deserve to be spoken at in that tone? Absolutely not.
Could they have been more pro-active in avoiding it? You bet.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
In that case, your response should have been "OK" and you wouldn't feel the request was unacceptable?
To be honest, nothing in the statement from the 3 ball behind you sounds unreasonable - and asking you while in the middle of their own round seems to suggest that they could see well in advance you were (by your own admission) slow.
There is never a right or wrong place for someone to have to ask a group ahead to speed up or let another group through - the sad fact is that they had to ask.
Maybe instead of teeing off, you should have stood aside and let them through? It's all very well calling into question the actions of another group, but if you have to ask yourself why, or worse seek the opinion of others to justify your own actions - you might have missed the real point. Which is there isn't really a genuine excuse for slow play - even though you seem to think there is.

Thats way out of order. They were doing everything right. Letting groups though as an when. As for the comment about no excuse for slow play what rubbish. I've had a bad smash which has left me with a new hip and a load of metal plates in my leg. Yes I will be slow when I get back on the course. Will let everyone and their dog though. But in your eye's I have no excuse to be slow. Would you rather I stayed home and took up knitting.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Thats way out of order. They were doing everything right. Letting groups though as an when. As for the comment about no excuse for slow play what rubbish. I've had a bad smash which has left me with a new hip and a load of metal plates in my leg. Yes I will be slow when I get back on the course. Will let everyone and their dog though. But in your eye's I have no excuse to be slow. Would you rather I stayed home and took up knitting.

Don't look now - the excuse police are at it again...
I would rather you understood the difference between slow play and pace of play - they are two entirely different things. Slow play is a mindset - it has nothing to do with age, ability, injury, fitness or any other physical condition - or the number of people in a group. Letting people through is not a cure for slow play - it is a consequence of it. The OP - by their own admission - stated they were slow. They gave plenty of mitigating excuses for this - as have you. Of the "excuses" given, none of them are an excuse for slow play in general. The very fact that someone had to ask them to speed up or let them through would suggest they are not completely the innocent victims here. But since you were there and saw the whole thing, we'll just assume the 3 ball in question were a bunch of arrogant and impatient sods....

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 3 ball behind you were 100% wrong in this situation as they weren't ready to be let through at the point that they approached you. I would have responded with something like "Well no wonder you're so quick if all of those putts have been given". If they had finished the hole then that would be totally different. No reason not to all hit your drives while they finish up and then let them drive and walk down with them, letting them through but being in a position to play your second shots as they cleared the green.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with this post.
Then again, the slow group could (and should) have handled it a lot better too perhaps. Once the 3 ball had ambled over to the tee, why not take the initiative and announce your intentions to let them through once you have teed off? It totally leaves the 3 ball with no come back other than a polite thank you. Very little effort on the part of the 4 ball- especially when you consider they are by their own admission doing very little to speed up their pace of play. As for injuries, fitness levels and ability when it comes to "slow play" - I don't see any reason why the "ethic" of pace of play has any bearing on that. I've played with many players would were old, disabled, amputees - even blind - and none of them displayed any signs of being "slow" relative to their ability. Sure, people have varying paces, but there is no excuse for blatantly adopting the stance that "we're slow - get over it". Every effort should be made to play at a reasonable pace, because simply letting everyone through on the course is not a solution to the problem of slow play - and clearly it frustrates a number of other golfers out on the course. Slow play is slow play. Pace is relative.
Sorry, but I'm really not going to give any sympathy to the OP - did they deserve to be spoken at in that tone? Absolutely not.
Could they have been more pro-active in avoiding it? You bet.

Very sorry to disappoint you my friend, but if the 3 ball were in a position to breeze through we were ready to wave them through , only one of the 3 took it upon himself to talk to us. We were already half way through our drives before the 3 ball were at the green, then this chap decided to pontificate to us out of blue. This was the first time any of their group had been in speaking distance of us. As we told him when he had finished saying his piece, we were already fully prepared to let them through.
If you were in a Formula 1 Grand Prix driving a Marussia at the back of the race and Lewis Hamilton was due to lap you soon but is 3 corners behind you sure as hell ain't going to pull over onto the grass and wait for him to pass, you are going to slow and let him through when he is behind you.

Going on your comments so far through your replies I truly hope that you do not ever suffer from something that curtails the blistering pace that you obviously play golf at, as it seems the demons might well give you a hard time.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what you are saying (obviously not having read the point of the OP fully) is that because we knew that a faster group behind us was closing up on us, for their benefit we stop from teeing off and wait for them and admire their putting prowess twiddling our thumbs, even though they weren't all on the green putters at the ready to finish it out!!! These guys were against the stopwatch (is that acceptable?) for their round, we had held them up 3/4s of a hole at the most, if they had putted out the hole they were on by the time we had all Tee'd off we were already ready to step aside.

Isn't that just keeping the game moving?

Nice retort, In fact if he went and finished the hole, instead of watching and waiting for you to tee off for him to say something, I'm sure, as you did before, let them thru. And for a poster to say there's no excuse for slow play, I hope he doesn't get the aliments that your fourball has suffered. Personally I'd of said if you went to putt out first, instead of being nob and watching us, you'd be teeing off, but you'll have to wait now!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very sorry to disappoint you my friend, but if the 3 ball were in a position to breeze through we were ready to wave them through , only one of the 3 took it upon himself to talk to us. We were already half way through our drives before the 3 ball were at the green, then this chap decided to pontificate to us out of blue. This was the first time any of their group had been in speaking distance of us. As we told him when he had finished saying his piece, we were already fully prepared to let them through.
If you were in a Formula 1 Grand Prix driving a Marussia at the back of the race and Lewis Hamilton was due to lap you soon but is 3 corners behind you sure as hell ain't going to pull over onto the grass and wait for him to pass, you are going to slow and let him through when he is behind you.

Going on your comments so far through your replies I truly hope that you do not ever suffer from something that curtails the blistering pace that you obviously play golf at, as it seems the demons might well give you a hard time.

EVEN BETTER :rofl:pick the bones out of that one nemi

Last edited:

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
EVEN BETTER :rofl:pick the bones out of that one nemi

What? The fact the 3 ball where not even at or near the green and they still had time to get to the 4 ball and talk to them before they had even left the tee box? The painfully slow pace they took to perform a basic task like teeing off only demonstrates their true pace - slow. And then trying to seek the sympathy vote? Please.

D

Deleted Member 1156

From what I can see here, the issue is your pace of play. Calling a group through is fine and the correct thing to do in the right circumstances but if you have had to call 4 or 5 groups through then you are causing a problem. I'm a member at Hayling so I know that most groups are 3 and 4 balls, not a course full of 2 balls or singles. Every time you call a group through it creates a backlog when the course is busy. Groups bunch up behind and everyone gets stuck.
I don't buy into the argument that people can play at whatever pace they want and call groups through if necessary, it causes problems for other people on the course.

Yes, there are a few shots at Hayling where it is difficult to see the line if you don't know the course but not that many and generally the direction the tee markers point you in is a pretty good clue. There are also marker posts on the blind tee shots.

This probably isn't the response you wanted but the bottom line is it sounds like you (your group) need to pick up your pace of play. If you can't walk quickly between shots for medical reasons then make up for it in other ways by being ready to play as soon as it's your turn etc etc.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What? The fact the 3 ball where not even at or near the green and they still had time to get to the 4 ball and talk to them before they had even left the tee box? The painfully slow pace they took to perform a basic task like teeing off only demonstrates their true pace - slow. And then trying to seek the sympathy vote? Please.

No sympathy being sought at all.........2 of our 4 knew exactly what we were........... Just seeking people's thoughts as to whether it's acceptable for someONE from a following group to pontificate to other players because, (now listen carefully) you have been held up for 2 possibly 3 shots at the very most yet you still haven't finished your business on the hole you are playing.
I will add that one of his friends was a little embarrassed when our paths came close again and he pointed out my ball in the rough.

Obviously you agree with this chap, that's your choice, and if you play your golf with the same feelings towards other golfers and your other thoughts. I hope you take some pleasure from the game. And thank you for your input into my original question.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
From what I can see here, the issue is your pace of play. Calling a group through is fine and the correct thing to do in the right circumstances but if you have had to call 4 or 5 groups through then you are causing a problem. I'm a member at Hayling so I know that most groups are 3 and 4 balls, not a course full of 2 balls or singles. Every time you call a group through it creates a backlog when the course is busy. Groups bunch up behind and everyone gets stuck.
I don't buy into the argument that people can play at whatever pace they want and call groups through if necessary, it causes problems for other people on the course.

Yes, there are a few shots at Hayling where it is difficult to see the line if you don't know the course but not that many and generally the direction the tee markers point you in is a pretty good clue. There are also marker posts on the blind tee shots.

This probably isn't the response you wanted but the bottom line is it sounds like you (your group) need to pick up your pace of play. If you can't walk quickly between shots for medical reasons then make up for it in other ways by being ready to play as soon as it's your turn etc etc.

Hallelujah.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thank you for your thoughts.
It's just a shame that this has become a battering of slow play which is an issue that even I hate: it also has an effect on my own play.
Just as an aside my Wife walked a course as my "caddy" on on holiday, she was worn out when we finished as the pace over the 6 miles took her by surprise.
The issue of slow play is compounded when those causing slow play are totally oblivious to the fact that they are playing slowly and not mindful of other groups. In our 4, 2 were total oblivious and 2 were fully aware and doing everything we could to negate a problem. We were very fortunate on Friday as the weather forecast was a little uncertain so most probably as a result the course was not busy, so in reality our group was not causing a log jam.

The issue here is being spoken to by one member of a group that were playing against the clock and had the ability to do so in a manner that was unacceptable given that we had only held them up for only 2 possibly 3 shots yet we were ready for them to pass us.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
In reading this thread , being a new starter at golf through a medical condition stopping me from my previous sport I am totally amazed at the attitude shown by nemicu , this person gives me the impression that it is an elitist, athlete only sport which , in my opinion enforces others view that golf is a clicky club . I see in his signature he says head pro ? Well I hope he is more forgiving of new starters or he may be looking for a new job !!!
i agree slow play seems to be a bone of contention but we are all not prime physical specimens or head pro's so as a beginner or slow player courtesy all round would be better .
We need more new players be they young , old whatever and what I have read makes me sad and disappointed and good luck to john boy saint accompanying slower players must be frustrating for him too but he seems to have the outlook I look for in a playing partner .

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
In reading this thread , being a new starter at golf through a medical condition stopping me from my previous sport I am totally amazed at the attitude shown by nemicu , this person gives me the impression that it is an elitist, athlete only sport which , in my opinion enforces others view that golf is a clicky club . I see in his signature he says head pro ? Well I hope he is more forgiving of new starters or he may be looking for a new job !!!
i agree slow play seems to be a bone of contention but we are all not prime physical specimens or head pro's so as a beginner or slow player courtesy all round would be better .
We need more new players be they young , old whatever and what I have read makes me sad and disappointed and good luck to john boy saint accompanying slower players must be frustrating for him too but he seems to have the outlook I look for in a playing partner .

For the love of Christ - stop using any physical or medical condition as an excuse. The last time I checked, perfectly fit an able bodied golfers can still be as slow and inept as the OP due to their lack of situational awareness, constant checking of gps apps, habitually being unready to play and countless other ways to slow down a simple round of golf and the enjoyment of others. Your physical condition has absolutely nothing to do with it.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the love of Christ - stop using any physical or medical condition as an excuse. The last time I checked, perfectly fit an able bodied golfers can still be as slow and inept as the OP due to their lack of situational awareness, constant checking of gps apps, habitually being unready to play and countless other ways to slow down a simple round of golf and the enjoyment of others. Your physical condition has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Christ alive do you live under a bloody bridge waiting for the clip clop of Billy Goat hooves!??

You are now calling me inept, and showing a lack of situational awareness, when in every single reply I have posted, I have made it abundantly clear that I was more than aware of the situation. Maybe if we did use a golf app we might have been a tad quicker instead of relying in the strokesaver purchased in the club shop.

As this thread has developed, I am beginning to draw a conclusion that your views on slow play are due to playing the game mostly by yourself due to your narrow view on the golfing abilities of others testing your tolerance due to them not matching your own Stella standards.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Christ alive do you live under a bloody bridge waiting for the clip clop of Billy Goat hooves!??

You are now calling me inept, and showing a lack of situational awareness, when in every single reply I have posted, I have made it abundantly clear that I was more than aware of the situation. Maybe if we did use a golf app we might have been a tad quicker instead of relying in the strokesaver purchased in the club shop.

As this thread has developed, I am beginning to draw a conclusion that your views on slow play are due to playing the game mostly by yourself due to your narrow view on the golfing abilities of others testing your tolerance due to them not matching your own Stella standards.

Do you think he wears golf shoes or running shoes?
I have a friend of mine that plays that has a permanent and distinct limp due to an accident he had and He still walks round but I do NOT expect him to keep up with a fortunate able bodied person. It may take a little longer to get round then a normal 3-4 ball but I would never say to him we have to get a scoot on so how bout you start hopping just to go quicker cos the anti slow play brigade really don't care about your physical limitations as a round of golf should be under 3hrs 44and a half mins.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site

Unfortunately, I live in the real world rather than under the bridge. If the glut of slow play threads are anything to go by, it's fairly obvious you are pretty clueless to your own shortcomings. Maybe one day you will find a course that will close its tees to everyone else and roll out the red carpet to suit your own ends, but in the meantime it's probably better for all others to not have the misfortune to get stuck behind you.