Divot...am I supposed to take one?

bradleywedge

Visit site
I know technically you are supposed to hit the ball first and take a divot after the strike, but my shots never tend to do this. I rarely take a divot unless I fat, or duff one, when the ball doesn't go anywhere.

Are taking divots just resigned to low handicappers and very good players. I can strike my irons well and quite far without a divot, but does this mean I am not hitting them right?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know they say you are supposed to take a divot but I’ve been playing for 35 years and rarely take a divot, most I play with don’t either.

I suppose the really good ball strikers will but I wouldn’t worry to much if I were you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably due to being a hockey player - who struck penalty corners, so solid hitter - I never used to take divots with any irons and still got decent distance. I rarely ever took divots with decent 5, 4 or 3 (or 2 when I had one) irons (which have now been replaced with hybrids). However eventually started taking divots (that start ahead of where the ball was) with shorter irons (except maybe 6 off the tee). this simply seemed the right thing to do to get 'stop spin'. It certainly means I've hit the ball while the clubhead was descending, which is how I hit it best.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Basically boils down to your angle of attack I.e the angle the club is coming into the ball if you were to look at it from a 1 dimensional up and down perspective. Most good players/the best players will be around 4/5 degrees downward with a 7 iron and will take a divot. The perfect divot is said to be the same size and shape as a dollar bill or an old pound note and relatively shallow. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, Tom Watson in his later years would just brush the grass with most iron shots. If strike isnt a problem I wouldn't worry about taking a divot, a divot is just the result of what's gone on beforehand, so fix all that stuff and naturally your divot pattern or lack of it will change

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of good pros who do not take a divot and plenty of good pros whose divot holes you could plant a potato in.

There is no right or wrong way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the same boat really. I usually don't take a divot at all - because I don't strike down on the ball like you're supposed to. I hit it pretty clean, just brushing the grass. You can still hit good shots like that, but I think you're just more likely to get a few thins and fats thrown in, as I do. Also if you strike down on it properly you should get more distance I guess.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All about quality of strike and how you deliver into impact. A lot of top players have been sweepers and as others have said others seem to take massive divots and you wonder how they've smashed it so far. Personally I play all of my shots (bar the driver which I nudge further forward) from my left breast. It was how I was taught and gives me a consistent ball position and means I am more of a sweeper and so rarely take too much of a divot

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I take big divots when I play my Tourstage X blades, but next to nothing when I play my Cobra CB forged. I guess it's something to do with the leading edge and bounce design. No idea. It doesn't make any difference to my scores anyway.