Divot...am I supposed to take one?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I know technically you are supposed to hit the ball first and take a divot after the strike, but my shots never tend to do this. I rarely take a divot unless I fat, or duff one, when the ball doesn't go anywhere.

Are taking divots just resigned to low handicappers and very good players. I can strike my irons well and quite far without a divot, but does this mean I am not hitting them right?

You're supposed to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes.

How you do that is often quite different from one player to the next.

Short of spending money on lessons to have someone give your personalised guidance, concentrate on what you're comfortable / confident with and what gets results.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a sweeper or the ball, as per a previous poster that comes from 20+ years of hockey. I try like crazy to hit down more more but my eye, hands, whatever, take over and the sweep wins out. Every so often I get it right and whilst I don't take a pro sized divot, how do their wrists not break?, it is enough that I get to pick it up and replace it :D. When that happens the strike is noticeably better, the trajectory what I want, I am closer to the sweet spot of the club, the noise is 'right'. I wish I could do it more and for the OP I would suggest it is not a bad aspiration to take one, if most pro's do it that normally says something. Don't expect to take a crater, be happy with a bit of grass cutting (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might be totally wrong on this but I feel like taking divots is easier if you have a faster swing. Like, if I managed to hit at the same angle of attack as that Rory video above, I'm sure it would be a good strike since you hit the ball first obviously, but taking that much divot would be jarring for me and I wouldn't enjoy the sensation - especially in summer when the ground is hard - whereas with his speed he just cuts through that bit of earth like it's nothing.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
If you sweep and you are consistent and you know your numbers then continue. Everyone wants a divot and everyone wants to play a draw but golf isn't a game of perfect. You just need to get the ball in the hole in as little shots as possible.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a sweeper or the ball, as per a previous poster that comes from 20+ years of hockey. I try like crazy to hit down more more but my eye, hands, whatever, take over and the sweep wins out. Every so often I get it right and whilst I don't take a pro sized divot, how do their wrists not break?, it is enough that I get to pick it up and replace it :D. When that happens the strike is noticeably better, the trajectory what I want, I am closer to the sweet spot of the club, the noise is 'right'. I wish I could do it more and for the OP I would suggest it is not a bad aspiration to take one, if most pro's do it that normally says something. Don't expect to take a crater, be happy with a bit of grass cutting (y)

Same here, usually no more than a bruise. On the rare occasion I get it perfect and take a nice big chunk of turf I can stand back and gaze in admiration as my ball sails 30 yds over the green...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With a short to mid iron you cannot contact the ball far enough up the clubface to get good compression of the ball if you dont hit with a downward angle of attack . I like to make a shallow divot with my hybrid to ensure I'm not hitting upwards which gives a chance of a thin or topped shot.
You dont have to take a divot but your ball contact will not be at its potential best if you dont.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know how much golf you've watched, or for how long, but he is well known for being able to nip the ball off the surface.
I've heard this so many times and it's not true. People always show examples when he's hitting long irons. Tom is a great ball striker and as such he must have his hands ahead of the ball and hit down with his irons.

This is a good video for those that lose distance with irons.

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's your understanding of that?
I'm just amazed we're on two pages and one has mentioned 'compressing the ball' yet...

My understanding is that when the ball is compressed, it is squeezed. The ball has a slight ecliptic shape at contact which results in a more penetrating flight.
However Newton may correct me ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same here, usually no more than a bruise. On the rare occasion I get it perfect and take a nice big chunk of turf I can stand back and gaze in admiration as my ball sails 30 yds over the green...
If you are like me you won't care. I'm so happy at the strike that where the ball ends up becomes secondary ?. I sometimes have to explain to a pp why I'm grinning like an idiot when my ball is over the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are like me you won't care. I'm so happy at the strike that where the ball ends up becomes secondary ?. I sometimes have to explain to a pp why I'm grinning like an idiot when my ball is over the green.
That reminds me of that Tyrrell Hatton clip where he was heard saying "That's a great flight... shame it's 30 yards left." :LOL:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bottom line is yes you are supposed to make contact with the ground after the ball. If you hit 4 degrees down and your low point is after the ball then you will most certainly take a divot. If you hit 1 degree down then you'll take a scrapping of grass. Both are OK. No contact with the ground at all isn't good