Divot...am I supposed to take one?

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
The real bottom line is what you want to get out of golf. None of us are on tour. The majority of our courses will be under 400 yards par 4s. You can get away with a 220 yard drive. 80% of golfers don't get below 18 handicap.

A lot of people turn up on weekend, 18 holes, couple beers. Work Monday to Friday. Don't practise.

Getting an extra couple yards by compressing is all relative to what you want to get out of golf. No point beating yourself up if your not compressing when you can sweep your 7 iron 145. Its plenty for roll ups with the boys.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The real bottom line is what you want to get out of golf. None of us are on tour. The majority of our courses will be under 400 yards par 4s. You can get away with a 220 yard drive. 80% of golfers don't get below 18 handicap.

A lot of people turn up on weekend, 18 holes, couple beers. Work Monday to Friday. Don't practise.

Getting an extra couple yards by compressing is all relative to what you want to get out of golf. No point beating yourself up if your not compressing when you can sweep your 7 iron 145. Its plenty for roll ups with the boys.
I've met very few golfers that dont want to play better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate is off scratch and he very rarely takes a divot.
He’s a great golfer.
But his downside is he is hopeless in bunkers , he just can’t hit down in the sand to play a proper bunker shot.
But he says “ don’t go in many so who cares”
He’s happy just getting it out.

End of the day it’s where the ball goes Thats important not where your divot goes.

JGolfer

Visit site
Personal preference. I take a divot my dad doesn’t, he likes the idea, he tried it. His scores went so much worse. I told him to embrace being a sweeper. He still thinks “it’s not the right way to play golf”

The correct way to play golf is to get around in the fewest shots. The path you take to get there is different for everybody. Enjoy your golf, and don’t worry about it ?