Distance device question from Santa!

IslaG

Visit site
Santa has kindly suggested a distance measuring device. I don't want a range finder. I am interested in thoughts / comparisons about a Garmin watch , an Apple Watch or a basic 'hang off your bag' GPS I have had a Garmin Approach x40 which has served me well but recently died. Most Apple Watch - is it useful for golf or too 'multi functional. My x40 just did distance to front , mid, back of green and hazards. I'm a basic golfer with basic needs!

Jason.H

Visit site
I have a garmin watch which gives front, middle, back, distances to bunkers and water ect. Personally I like using my rangefinder as it’s more accurate to pins and I can check distances to anything on the course.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Depends on the course you play
If it’s flat, then a standard GPS is fine.
However, if it undulates and you can see the top of the flag but not the bottom, it can be very difficult to work out if it is front, middle or back, (unless colour coded)
So many also carry a laser rangefinder as well.

?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could buy a non golf specific Garmin that still has the basic golf functions and downloadable courses, like the vivoactive, venu or fenix if you dont want an overly complex golf watch but would have use for some of the other functions?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I have a Golf Buddy Voice 2. Keep it in a pocket, press the button and it speaks the distance. It is a very small device. I do prefer my laser near the green and for measuring intermediate distances, say to trees before a bend in the fairway. I used to use Swing By Swing on my 'phone which is very good but I found using the 'phone a bit fiddly.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
You could buy a non golf specific Garmin that still has the basic golf functions and downloadable courses, like the vivoactive, venu or fenix if you dont want an overly complex golf watch but would have use for some of the other functions?

I have a vivoactive, it did the job. Used it for tracking my rowing machine during lockdown too, but have stopped wearing it for a while now and reverted back to my laser, which I prefer.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I always use a rangefinder, but have been very frustrated in rain and fog when it won't pick up the flag.

So I just got the Bushnell Phantom 2 from Clubhouse golf (price matched at £109 with Express Golf and 5% code EG5) which I understand is really good piece of kit. Front, middle and back but also pin placement at the touch of a button. Hang it off the bag and should be good to go in foggy days.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apple Watch works, the battery life is better than some dedicated devices. I use it with Golfshot app, there are others.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used Hole 19, basic distances on the watch and detailed overview of the hole on the iPhone, gave accurate yardages compared to my mates dedicated golf gps

DoubleD

Visit site
I also use Hole 19 with the Apple Watch and is perfect for my home course. I just use my phone like a course planner/stroke saver if I need any more info on an unfamiliar course.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Apple Watch works, the battery life is better than some dedicated devices. I use it with Golfshot app, there are others.

I use Golfshot with an Apple watch too. Got rid of my Garmin G60 as it’s just as good.