Distance devices.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Both is the way to go. I've only got a GPS atm, so it's handy for new courses, and for getting distances to the middle of the green, but it's not perfect. Will be investing in a Bushnell at some point soon.

why does Caddyshack pop into my head everytime I hear that:whistle:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks fo all the replies and advice.

To clarify, my 8 Iron doesn't actully cover those distances. But I phrased it that way to indicate (lightheartedly:mad:) that unlike a Tour Pro my distances are not millimetre-accurate.

My point being that rangefinders are exact distances whereas GPS is 'pretty accurate' so therefore the question is on the added assistance given by the degrees of accuracy.

i play off 12 and have found the Garmin a real benefit when pin-hunting at home, as we have a red - yellow- white pin traffic light system corresponding with front - middle - back pin placements on a given day.

Last edited:

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you want accurate data the rangefinder is superior.
However I find I hate using the things so I just use my gps watch which is sufficient enough until I can get my hcp down to 6 (strong possibility that will never happen)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like others I have gone a route that's best of both worlds.

Use a mobile phone with Freecaddie as a GPS and then have a laser which provides back-up to the GPS and is handy in the bag for the days I forget the phone or a course isn't mapped. Also helps work out when pins are front middle or back. Always feel if I'm confident of the distance I can commit to the shot.