Distance devices.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a Garmin Approach watch which I like but is getting on a bit. I understand that it's not 'bang on' accurate but at my level (my best struck 8 iron goes 140 or is it 125 or perhaps it's 135 yards - get the idea :mmm:) it's really useful and has helped me greatly with my irons to the green in respect of pin placements on etc.

just recently I've been thinking about replacing the Garmin with a rangefinder, as with pinseeker technology, my drink-addled hands can now pick up the target, whereas before I was lucky to be able to focus on a tree - and preferably a big one!

Anyone got views (oof!) on relative merits of GPS v Rangefinder technology?

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the range you hit your ball is so wide, then I can't see why you want to change to a rangefinder? Your GPS gives you all the info you need to get to the green, but if you can't hit them because your irons are so wayward then having the pin position is not going to change that. In fact in some cases the laser would be worse.

Of course if you just wanna spend some of the hard earned then by all means go for it, but to be honest there would definitely be better ways to spend the money.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I use the rangefinder - Bushnell V2 laser - from about 175 yards and in. Outside that I worry about getting on the green rather than close to the pin.
Lasers are fine as long as you have line of sight. Can't see it? Can't laser it!
Low light levels can make it tricky for the unit to focus on what you want as can using it in the rain.
Mist kills it too.
All Pinseeker does is ping the nearest object. So if there are branches 50 yards in front of you and the pin is 150 you'll find out exactly how far those branches are. Mostly Pinseeker works fine. If there's bushes behind the green it can focus on the nearest object - which is the pin!
Newer versions - V3 - have a jolt mechanism to let you know when you've hit the nearest object.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had the original Skycaddie, but got bored with it after a couple of years and bought a Rangefinder. It lasted 6 months before I bought another Skycaddie. Too many false readings with the Rangefinder for me. And then there's the distances to hazards, like ditches and (flat) fairway bunkers, that the Rangefinder couldn't pick out.

Will a Rangefinder give you front of green back of green distances? No. Back of green is a distance I often want to know, especially on big greens.

Each to their own but I wouldn't have a Rangefinder again.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best solution is to have both.

The rangefinder is, I think, the best option at your home course where you know the hazards and green fronts/ backs.

Playing away without a planner or pinsheet? Then a GPS wins

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went laser route with a Nikon Coolshot only 3 weeks ago and it has definitely made the game a lot easier and I have been really suprised how easy it is to use, even up to around 200 yards, although to begin with I was shocked how much my hands shake! No wonder I cannot sink pressure putts! But soon sorted that by working out the right technique to use it:)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I use both, but only use the laser from about 150 yards from the pin
We have lots of greens with mounds in front, so you cannot see the bottom of the flag, therefore you do not know whether the pin is back, middle, front which in some cases could alter your club selection by 2 clubs.
I would normally look at the GPS as I am walking up to the ball, so I already know the front-back distances. I then laser the pin to work out where it is and also from that I know how much room I have to play with at the front and behind the pin.

Best of both worlds

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As has been said earlier, the rangefinder is useful from 150 yards in, & especially within wedge distance. I use both. I had a Bushnell until it was stolen & replaced it with a Nikon. The Nikon seems to be much more affected by mist. Even in a hardly noticeable mist the other day it was constant!y showing 10.5 yards, don't ever remember the Bushnell doing that. Surprised to hear someone say it doesn't work in low light. If you can focus on the pin the laser will do the rest, it works in the dark!

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
I play with a single figure fella and he uses a laser. It works for him because he bombs it off the tee and is flag hunting with wedges for most of his 2nd shots.

I have a Garmin S3 watch. It works for me as most of the time F/M/B is all I need and when I am after the pins, it has 'green view' to place the pin so I can attack with my wedges (mostly 3rd shot par 5's).

I do not think a laser is suitable for you.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I switched to a rangefinder and prefer it to the GPS I had previously. I bought a Bushnell scope with jolt which doesn't give many false readings with the jolt function. However, do usually take two readings just to be sure.

Main reason to swap was the accuracy when the greens are big. I play on different courses a lot and many have large greens so front / centre & back doesn't cut it.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
My experience is that if a player is playing off less than 12 then both types will improve their game, but above this a good GPS is more appropriate, which is what I use on the course, because I tend to target the front of the greens.

i do have a Laser but use this at the range trying to improve my short game

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you your 8i is 125 to 40 yards, knowing the pin is 133.5 away is no use to you. You need to know front middle, back of green and hazards not exact distances.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a sky caddie for years and have just acquired a bushnell. The idea was to stop using the sky caddie when the fees were due for renewal, however, I have decided that both have their merits so will be using both from now on. Bushnell from 150 ish and on par 3's and satnav for everything else.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i have used the same one for ever,its the EYE 2 really good needs no batteries and rely on its built in brain to asses and calculate the distance,has worked for me and got me to single figures (long time ago ) came free with a bundle of other stuff,as i dont know to the inch what distance i hit each club i have found its all i need.:smirk:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use a laser at home course all the time and laser/GPS for away ones.

Laser ever flag for second or tee shot. If over 220+ helps to work out lay up club.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I play with two county players off +2, both use the 'rough' course yardage sticks or sprinkler markers and their eyes.

I also play with a 14 h/capper who uses a Gamin S1 and a laser :rolleyes:

Most people imo, use a GPS over laser, it's quicker, easier to use especially with blind shots

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive had a Gps for the last 2 years. Great bit of kit.

I also enjoy going old school when I forget to charge my batteries. Happens quite a bit.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both is the way to go. I've only got a GPS atm, so it's handy for new courses, and for getting distances to the middle of the green, but it's not perfect. Will be investing in a Bushnell at some point soon.