Castle Stuart, Royal Dornoch, Nairn, Tain, Fortrose and Boat of Garten reviews

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Castle Stuart was immense. A real 2nd shot course as the fairways were fairly easy to find but the greens, the run offs and tricky pin placements were its defense. Firm greens really made you think about your approach and taking on pins is a real risk. Middle of the green 2 putts were the order of the day. For me the stand out holes were the 2 par 3's (3 and 10) and the 18th. The whole place was class and the service was 2nd to none, from the guy who walks out to greet you when you arrive, to the uber friendly and helpful starter. I think the no members and visitor only concept has been designed to serve the American market and whilst it seems a little manufacured, the course and the clubhouse are immense.

Royal Dornoch was everything I imagined it would be and more. 9 holes out and 9 holes back and a fair test of links golf. As a handicap golfer you needed to think about the holes to score on and the holes with which to be happy with a bogey. 3 club wind made the back 9 very tough but the views of the coast were something to savior. For me there are no weak holes but the 9th was my favourite, and not because i stiffed my 8i approach to 4ft :) The 9th was the last hole on the outward stretch and a good but blind drive funnels down to the lower tier leaving a short iron to the green. The views of the sea and beach when you walk down the hole are spectacular.

After an inconspicuous first hole Old Tom Morris designed Tain Golf Club turns into a real gem of a course. Undulating fairways in amongst bright yellow gorse made for a really beautiful setting. After dining at the top table with Dornoch and Castle Stuart I was nervous that the courses to follow would be a bit of a damp squib, but Tain really does not disappoint. It's a fair test whereby if you hit the fairway you can score really well. Its a course that demands you plot your way around rather than over power it with the driver off the tee. The dog leg 9th hole requires a precise long iron to the corner and a short iron approach to a small green. The other standout hole was the 11th that demands to well stuck shots to find a blind green in amongst 2 very large dunes. When you walk up through the center of the dunes the views that await you a breathtaking.

The first 7 holes at Nairn run along the Moray Firth and the water on the right intimidates on every tee shot. It's a spectacular stretch that requires good ball striking as you cant bail out left as the gorse and thick rough await. It would be wrong to just rate this course on the Moray firth stretch of holes as the inland holes are equally as testing. The 13th up a very steep hill away from the firth is worthy of being the si 1 hole as it demands a well placed drive right of the fairway bunker and a well struck 2nd shot to a large 2 tiered sloping green and anything right is in the deep bundu. The 14th is a long iron par 3 very much down hill to a well bunkered green. Once you have got over the spectacular views from the highest point of the course an intimidating tee shot awaits.

Fortrose and Rosemarkie was the 2nd 18 holes we had played and whilst being a short course, it is demanding and easy to relax think its there for the taking when really it isnt !! The course runs out and back with views of the Moray Firth on both sides. keep an eye out for Dolphins which regularly are seen from the course. We were lucky to see some, although they were quite far away and we had to view them through a bushnell rangefinder !! The par5 4th (par 4 of the yellows) is a cracking hole towards the lighthouse whereby a a precise drive requiring some 260 yards carry is required to find the lower level. You have the option to hit a long iron to lay up to 200 yards but anything inbetween you will struggle to find. The shot to a small sloping green needs to be accurate and even then a tough 2 putt awaits. This hole was as good as any we played on the trip !!!! The back 9 is really scoreable as there are several short par 4's, although a razor sharp wedge game is required to hit it close on the undulating greens. The other thing to mention about this club is the phenominal welcome and service we received from the secratary and Lorraine at the bar. They literally could not do enough for us and it just added to the experience.

Finally, the last round of the trip was to the Boat Of Garten. This James Braid course in the heart of the Cairngorn Mountains is oneof the most spectaculart settings for a golf course. Whilst the Spey river was the only water you could see, the course had a feel similar to the likes of Formby and Woodhall Spa although the undulations and elevations changes are a lot more prevalent at the Boat. The elevation changes and yellow gorse make for spectacular views of almost every tee. If you can keep it in play and are hitting the driver solidly, you can score well around here. I wish I was good enough to fade or draw shots at will off the tee as its one of those courses whereby if you can move the ball right to left or left to right the shape of the holes can be followed and you will be rewaded with easier shots into greens.