Your distance measuring device

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you not considered that part of scoring better is hitting to the correct distance more often?
Well, no, the point is even if I know it's 121 yards rather than 125 yards, I can't hit it precisely 121 yards so it's of no consequence. I hit a pitching wedge and all I know is it will go somewhere between 120 and 130 yards. :LOL: (and that's only if I don't shank it)

D

Deleted member 1147

If I was trying to get my h/cap down, I'd go for the laser and work hard on my distances under 70-80 yds.
Knowing that you are 175yds to the flag may be interesting but 180 will do.
Knowing you are 45yds not 40yds is a big advantage if you know your wedges

One of the main things I've gained from using the new tech' over the old way of just using my eye, intuition etc, is that I now know distances to not go past, or not finish short of.
For example, there can be times when going to the middle of the green is fine, especially if the green is pretty flat. But, if the green slopes a lot from back to front, you may not want to play to the middle of the green on a front flag because you might not be able to stop your putt close to the hole.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most of the apps allow you to download the course to your phone, so it is available when you have no phone signal. Your GPS reception is unaffected by your phone signal as it is based on how many of the satellites are overhead at any particular time.
been some time since i tried a phone... so will take your word for it.

Happy with my laser and wouldn't be changing anyway, laser is far better IMO esp at my home course;)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
How is the laser valuable on a blind green?? :unsure:
Simple. When you walk up to look at the pin you lazer the pin and then lazer back at your bag and add the two together. I don't know many people that take a shot at a blind green without walking up first to check it's clear and take a look at pin position

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simple. When you walk up to look at the pin you lazer the pin and then lazer back at your bag and add the two together. I don't know many people that take a shot at a blind green without walking up first to check it's clear and take a look at pin position
Hmm, not me. I'd more likely ask one of my playing partners to walk up and check the green's clear since they'll be walking up anyway, saves me walking up and down and wasting time.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you'd be contributing to slow play. (y)
Not me mate. 18 holes in 2.20 every week. I can count on one hand how many times this situation has happened so not exactly contributing to slow play when it happens like....... Never!!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the Garmin S20 and find that sufficient enough for what I want. It also provides distances to hazards and layups/doglegs (someone mentioned earlier that you wouldn't know how far it was to a dogleg without a laser).

I would like to own a laser as well - having never used one it would be interesting to see if it did make any difference to my game.

The Bushnell Hybrid is appealing but could never justify the price tag.

sunshine

Visit site
I can put the cursor roughly where the pin is i.e. front, back, left, so yes.

Putting the cursor roughly where the pin is, based on your view of the green from over a hundred yards away, isn't really an effective distance measurement. There are plenty of times when I've looked at a flag and estimated it was maybe 15 yards from the front, when actually it was 25 yards or more.

I'm not trying to knock hole19 app, I'm just recognising that it's useful for basic yardages like front or back of the green (which is perfectly adequate for many people), and anything more precise is guesswork.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My Garmin G8 allows me to move the cursor to represent a more accurate pin position but as I only use that from outside of 130 yards I can live with it being +/- 10-15 feet especially as I only want a ball park figure for club selection as it can make a two club difference on some of our longer greens. As I get within 130 yards I'd be using the laser for an accurate number as that is where I want to be using the scoring clubs to their full extent and which is why most of my practice is with the 8-SW

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I have both, but since getting my ShotScope V2 the laser has hardly been used.

It would interesting what handicap people are that think they need th exact yardage to the pin.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have both, but since getting my ShotScope V2 the laser has hardly been used.

It would interesting what handicap people are that think they need th exact yardage to the pin.

I'm off 6, I dropped from 12 to 6 since getting a laser and it definitely improved club selection.

I have a GPS and a laser. I use the laser to get the exact distance to the flag, and if it's in between clubs, I'll use the GPS to decide whether I club short or long based on distance to front or back of the green. I also use the GPS to get distances to hazards because it's much quicker.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the Skydroid GPS app on my phone and have done for years.
I find it very accurate and, because I carry, it's in my hand before I get to my ball.
It also allows me to map a course prior to playing it which enables me to map specific points on the course such as ditches and other various hazards.
I can also map aim points on dog-legs too!
It's awesome.