Has your gps device knocked shots off your handicap?

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
As the title says really.

I’m looking to buy a rangefinder or gps device but wondering if it’s really worth it?

Will it save me shots per round or improve my handicap?
I doubt it but would like to get peoples opinions on this and hear if anyone’s handicap has come down due to using one?

I feel that the markers on the course and the flag position (different coloured flag) is generally enough for me but I think maybe I am looking to be convinced!

Would also be good to see people’s handicap and if they use gps/rangefinder or not?

I am by no means a good player. However, my GPS helps me have some confidence about the distance, which helps me choose the club. It also helps me to be realistic about what distance I have just hit, which helps me adapt as a round goes on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes, appreciate what your saying, but apparently there is a recognised optimum ratio between the backswing and downswing, which is 3.0, whatever that means exactly.
That is the same whatever each persons swing speed is. This thing helps to get sequencing speeds correct apparently.
You choose the tempo that you may be closest to, "slowpro" or "slow amateur or "fast amateur". Etc, and the when you swing it tells you if that backswing was too fast or slow or just right, together with same for downswing part of your swing for that type of club!
I don't use it on the course, ( I use the distances info etc ) but I do when practicing on the range.
Personally, my big problem is my tempo. I am generally too fast- a slasher😀-
This helps me slow down.
I got the tour tempo app (think there is a charge and it has gone up in price) and that has a number of different sound tones based on musical beats (18/6, 21/7, 24/8 and 27/9) but all are based on that recognised 3 beat speed. Usually put some headphones on and use it on my phone if I can feel myself out of sync or swinging too fast

Hitdaball

Visit site
I got the tour tempo app (think there is a charge and it has gone up in price) and that has a number of different sound tones based on musical beats (18/6, 21/7, 24/8 and 27/9) but all are based on that recognised 3 beat speed. Usually put some headphones on and use it on my phone if I can feel myself out of sync or swinging too fast
The one I use is free, app is called Swing Tempo - you can set it to whatever you want. It’s a good tool for when my swing has totally gone to try and get something back grooving.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why not borrow one from a mate, or download a freebie to try out. As you go around the course make a guess on the yardage to the centre of the green and then have a look at the app. If your own guesstimates are accurate don't bother. But if you're at least 10 yards out, you're a club out.

Then its also down to how accurate you are with your yardages. If you're regularly hitting your yardages, get one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am off 6 cap and use a rangefinder.
It hasn’t reduced my h cap but think it’s kept me at that level as I get older.

I find it most useful under 100 yd’s when not quite sure of the distance.
But they are only a tool and unless you can hit your clubs the correct distance it won’t help!

4LEX

Visit site
Most golfers only need front, middle or back. And distances to bunkers/hazards off the tee. Exact yardages are OK for elite amateurs and tour pros but often confuse players due to being inbetween clubs.

My advice would be to hit to the middle of the green most of the time. If theres hazards/trouble at the front favour slightly long and vice versa if trouble at the back.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find it most useful under 100 yd’s when not quite sure of the distance.
But they are only a tool and unless you can hit your clubs the correct distance it won’t help!

Not in your league but I have worked hard on my yardages with the wedges (including shorter swing shots) and so knowing how far I have is good for me. My dispersion either side isn't too bad for a 12 handicapper and I am quite pleased with the dispersion front to back. From 100+ out I am happy to take the reading and the club according to distance/conditions but there are more variables especially the further out I get. At least I can stand over the ball confident I have the right club

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not in your league but I have worked hard on my yardages with the wedges (including shorter swing shots) and so knowing how far I have is good for me. My dispersion either side isn't too bad for a 12 handicapper and I am quite pleased with the dispersion front to back. From 100+ out I am happy to take the reading and the club according to distance/conditions but there are more variables especially the further out I get. At least I can stand over the ball confident I have the right club
Yes my main point was ,I learned the clock system yardage .
So gap wedge is 110yds full out but using the clock I can adjust my yardage with my backswing to hit 60yds and up in 10yd steps.
This is where I score .
Full shots are easier to work out as long as you know how far you hit each club.
It’s a tool but a very good one imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes my main point was ,I learned the clock system yardage .
So gap wedge is 110yds full out but using the clock I can adjust my yardage with my backswing to hit 60yds and up in 10yd steps.
This is where I score .
Full shots are easier to work out as long as you know how far you hit each club.
It’s a tool but a very good one imo.

I assume thats the Pelz version? I had the book and read it several times and there were some good stuff in there. I did start using it many moons ago and knew how far my full shot went and then my 9 o'clock and a 7.30 but if I was honest, I found trying to hit a set place (e.g. arms parallel to the floor for 9 o'clock) too rigid and in my head (and that's a world all of its own) I am more of a feel player and so have worked hard on hitting my distances based on a feel for a SW (opening the face as well and playing with ball position) and then trying to hit same numbers with a 52 (lower flight) and even a PW

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I assume thats the Pelz version? I had the book and read it several times and there were some good stuff in there. I did start using it many moons ago and knew how far my full shot went and then my 9 o'clock and a 7.30 but if I was honest, I found trying to hit a set place (e.g. arms parallel to the floor for 9 o'clock) too rigid and in my head (and that's a world all of its own) I am more of a feel player and so have worked hard on hitting my distances based on a feel for a SW (opening the face as well and playing with ball position) and then trying to hit same numbers with a 52 (lower flight) and even a PW
Yes it’s not for everyone.
I was very lucky when I started playing one of my mates was off 4 cap and he taught me from scratch .
So this has always been good for me.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you know I am quite confused .. in principle I think yes and I like the knowledge you get when you have the hole lay out (but a great yardage book addresses that)
However and I think this is me, I am chasing yardage and when I don't achieve it I get down on myself .. and now it has become an obsession as opposed to just saying nah hit this iron it's 145 yards this is definitely the right club, instead of well I should be able to hit this iron 145 yards etc .. not sure if I explained myself well enough but I am trying to say the yardage is starting to dominate as opposed to playing the game, if that makes sense?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you know I am quite confused .. in principle I think yes and I like the knowledge you get when you have the hole lay out (but a great yardage book addresses that)
However and I think this is me, I am chasing yardage and when I don't achieve it I get down on myself .. and now it has become an obsession as opposed to just saying nah hit this iron it's 145 yards this is definitely the right club, instead of well I should be able to hit this iron 145 yards etc .. not sure if I explained myself well enough but I am trying to say the yardage is starting to dominate as opposed to playing the game, if that makes sense?
Yes it does .
Your 145yds is 8iron for me on a nice day.
But the next day that 145 yd’s could be 7/6 iron because it’s cold and wet.
We still need to play the game!

D

Deleted member 1147

My handicap has come down since I've had one. However, I've had lessons, practiced a bit, had CF'd clubs and played more, as well. So I don't know if it's the cause of my improvement or just one of many marginal gains.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that's a problem with your mentality/ego rather than a problem with GPS generally.

Your last sentence wouldn't work for me, as I couldn't play if I didn't know the yardages - I was that bad at estimating them. Sometimes I test myself by having a guess at how far out I am before checking, and I can be wrong by as much as 30 yards. Just the other day I guessed 70 on one and my rangefinder said 97. :LOL:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But that's a problem with your mentality/ego rather than a problem with GPS generally.

Your last sentence wouldn't work for me, as I couldn't play if I didn't know the yardages - I was that bad at estimating them. Sometimes I test myself by having a guess at how far out I am before checking, and I can be wrong by as much as 30 yards. Just the other day I guessed 70 on one and my rangefinder said 97. :LOL:
I think previously I would be more in tune with the conditions of the day not the yardage on my machine .. and yes ego is an issue 🙁

Kennysarmy

Visit site
As the title says really.

I’m looking to buy a rangefinder or gps device but wondering if it’s really worth it?

Will it save me shots per round or improve my handicap?
I doubt it but would like to get peoples opinions on this and hear if anyone’s handicap has come down due to using one?

I feel that the markers on the course and the flag position (different coloured flag) is generally enough for me but I think maybe I am looking to be convinced!

Would also be good to see people’s handicap and if they use gps/rangefinder or not?

Hard to say without knowing what your handicap level is.

I use a range-finder and I know if it tells me it's 94 yards to the pin, I'll play a different shot to if it tells me it's 88 yards.

But I play with plenty of golfers who use GPS systems and just always aim for the middle of the green....some of them would benefit from the extra accuracy of the GPS and some of them would n't.

The batteries in mine died on course once and I was totally lost, pacing out yardages to markers just threw my confidence. I now carry a spare battery :)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I used my new rangefinder for the first time today.
I was surprised at how well I could gauge distances between 180 - 100 yards and how far out I was between 100-50 yards.
I also found it useful to get a yardage for lay ups.
As many have said, it is a tool that can help so hopefully it helps me a bit.
Impressed with the quality and ease of use too FWIW.