Has your gps device knocked shots off your handicap?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking likely that I’ll have a rangefinder by next week!
Thanks for all the responses, interesting topic for me and definitely swayed towards the “what ha can it do?” Camp.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd definitely have to disagree with that. Every golfer will hit variable yardages to some degree. Better to hit variable yardages to a definitive (known) yardage, than variable yardages to an estimated yardage. Firstly, if you estimate the yardage incorrectly, AND hit the shot a different distance to what you normally would hit on average, you can easily compound the problem. Secondly, at least if you know the yardage and hit it the wrong distance, it gives you confidence that it was the yardage that you hit was wrong, not the yardage you thought you were playing to. That gives a golfer much more useful feedback, and will probably assist them in working out how far they can actually hit their clubs.
It seems I may be different in gauging distance on a golf course. I don't actually know how far I hit particular clubs. But I do know visually where I would hit a particular club to.
So if I have a target (rather than 'as far as I can'), I know visually which iron I need to hit the green or lay up for a ditch etc

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say the short answer is yes. But only if you know how far you hit each club.

A friend of mine plays off 6 so a decent golfer and hits his irons a decent distance

Was playing with him a couple of weeks ago in a knock about round with work. He didn't have a gps and I did and I definitely saved him 3 shots. I sort of know his yardages and there was 3 occasions he pulled a club and i told him to change. Each time he hit the green pin high. Now obviously he still had to execute the shot but without the yardage he would have either been long or short.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes.
Does 2 things used properly -
1. Tells you how far you actually hit the thing, including tee shots etc
2. Tells you how far things are, so that you can consider how best to use the information gathered in no1.
The more consistent your shots the more value it will deliver - note in my case I tend to have about 75% within a very close distance dispersion, and 25% very very different. To reduce my handicap (again) I need to reduce the 25% dramatically!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
so what you are saying is you don't have a rangfinder or GPS and they havn't lowered your scores?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is correct. But my eyes have done their bit this last few weeks.

However - I do believe that I am going to succumb and buy or request for Christmas pressie. Not keen on a watch as I stopped wearing a watch when playing many years ago - as I wore it on my left wrist and I felt that it scraped against the inside of my right.

Maybe a laser thing. But (living the stereotype) I don't feel any urge to spend much money on it - tens of pounds is about it if I have to buy :)

Swango1980

Visit site
Most of the time I can see from Red/Yellow/White flag where the pin is on the green (front/middle/back) - and I simply pace to my ball from the nearest sprinkler head or marker post - converting 10 paces = 8yds. And I'm usually pretty consistent with GPS devices. But I need the distance markers. However on courses I don't know I can get some distances a bit wrong so can see the value then.
At our club, we don't have the luxury of red / yellow / white flags. At away courses, I've sometimes find that the choice of flag colour is dubious. The other advantage of a GPS watch is pace of play. You look at it, you know the yardage. Saves you having to find a sprinkler head or post, then pacing it out, then doing the maths (of which some people are quicker than others)

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I first bought a Garmin GPS and then after a few years a laser rangefinder. Both have their uses but if the GPS broke I would not replace it, while I would buy another rangefinder. Especially on large links greens the difference between front and back pin positions can be 2 or even 3 clubs.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I struggle to play without mine now! It would be worth doing a gap test on a trackman to get your true distances with each club. It's pointless knowing the exact yardage if you are holding the wrong club for the job.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think it has helped me but is difficult to quantify as I am getting to an age where I seem to be losing distance but my handicap has come down a few strokes since buying one though I have practised a bit more.
It did make me realise quite how bad I was at judging distances even on my own course with 100 &150 yd markers to the front, I rarely come up short now with what I thought was a well hit shot as I a) know better how far my shot has to go and b) have a much better idea of the variations that weather have in my distances.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have a watch and knowing the distances is a big help. Doesn't make you swing better( just knowing the distances) but it is a help, undoubtedly.
However, you may be interested in this gem I have on my watch.
It has. Swing tempo.
On the range, or practice rounds, it measures you swing tempo( backswing and downswing) against the right swingtempo ratio. (3:0).
Tells you whether too fast or slow etc.
Now, this has helped my play very much.
FWIW

Swango1980

Visit site
I have a watch and knowing the distances is a big help. Doesn't make you swing better( just knowing the distances) but it is a help, undoubtedly.
However, you may be interested in this gem I have on my watch.
It has. Swing tempo.
On the range, or practice rounds, it measures you swing tempo( backswing and downswing) against the right swingtempo ratio. (3:0).
Tells you whether too fast or slow etc.
Now, this has helped my play very much.
FWIW
I probably have the same watch, but never even considered using that feature. Not sure how useful it would be to every golfer, as everyone has their own tempo that they may be successful with.

What is good though, is it can measure shots. So, as soon as you hit your ball, press one button to start the measure. Then, when you get to your ball the watch will tell you how far you hit it. So, if you are really keen in knowing your yardages, do that every time you hit a decent shot, take a note, and then soon you will have a set of yardages for each club in different wind. I got that enthusiastic about it, and take an average of my last 20 shots with each club, different swing lengths, what the wind is doing. Yes, there can be considerable variation for each club at someone my level, but the average normally only moves slightly, even if you hit one much further or shorter than normal. Even if the variation on one club between short and long is 15-20 yards (pretty big), if I just play to my averages each time, I know at worst I'll probably just be 7.5-10 yards short or long of the pin. assuming I don't fat or thin it. My only concern really, is not to miss the green miles left of right, which the watch can't help me with sadly.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.
Does 2 things used properly -
1. Tells you how far you actually hit the thing, including tee shots etc
2. Tells you how far things are, so that you can consider how best to use the information gathered in no1.
The more consistent your shots the more value it will deliver - note in my case I tend to have about 75% within a very close distance dispersion, and 25% very very different. To reduce my handicap (again) I need to reduce the 25% dramatically!
So is a good guide as to where to look for those 'stray' shots so could save having to continue with that 'provisional, 3-off-the-tee ball'.... has a big affect on H/cap.
Speeds up play as no longer a need to 'pace-out' for yardages.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have just ordered a Suaoki rangefinder finder, thought I would try a cheap one first and see how it goes.
I can always upgrade later if needs be.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I currently use hole 19 on my Apple Watch, previously to that I had a specific gps device. Reason for the change was that the gps device kept running out of battery and I was totally lost without the distances.

Most of us know our distances and so it gives you the confidence that you’ve picked the right club, that it’s not going to be left short or too long. Now, obviously you could still chunk it 50 yards short, but nobody chooses a club based on the distance of a chunk do they?

The thing I find most useful is distance to the back of the green compared to the front, which could be 1 or 2 clubs different. Again, just gives you that confidence that you can hit your best shot and not go over the back.

As above, when I’ve not really known the distance, I’ll tend to hold off on shots and then it’s totally pot luck as to whether it’s the right distance.

Hitdaball

Visit site
Ivw been using a Shot Scope for a while and I think it has definitely helped me, mainly browsing the data on performance (or lack thereof) to inform what I need to practice.

For example my putting has definitely improved as I started practicing more 20-30ft lag putts - as shot scope told me I was making 83% inside 6ft but 3 putting lots from long. Also knowing my performance average on clubs has helped with approaches, as has understanding how often I was leaving them short.

For the little money they cost I think they are great tool.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I probably have the same watch, but never even considered using that feature. Not sure how useful it would be to every golfer, as everyone has their own tempo that they may be successful with.

What is good though, is it can measure shots. So, as soon as you hit your ball, press one button to start the measure. Then, when you get to your ball the watch will tell you how far you hit it. So, if you are really keen in knowing your yardages, do that every time you hit a decent shot, take a note, and then soon you will have a set of yardages for each club in different wind. I got that enthusiastic about it, and take an average of my last 20 shots with each club, different swing lengths, what the wind is doing. Yes, there can be considerable variation for each club at someone my level, but the average normally only moves slightly, even if you hit one much further or shorter than normal. Even if the variation on one club between short and long is 15-20 yards (pretty big), if I just play to my averages each time, I know at worst I'll probably just be 7.5-10 yards short or long of the pin. assuming I don't fat or thin it. My only concern really, is not to miss the green miles left of right, which the watch can't help me with sadly.

Yes, appreciate what your saying, but apparently there is a recognised optimum ratio between the backswing and downswing, which is 3.0, whatever that means exactly.
That is the same whatever each persons swing speed is. This thing helps to get sequencing speeds correct apparently.
You choose the tempo that you may be closest to, "slowpro" or "slow amateur or "fast amateur". Etc, and the when you swing it tells you if that backswing was too fast or slow or just right, together with same for downswing part of your swing for that type of club!
I don't use it on the course, ( I use the distances info etc ) but I do when practicing on the range.
Personally, my big problem is my tempo. I am generally too fast- a slasher😀-
This helps me slow down.