Your distance measuring device

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a rangefinder most of the time, as I find it a lot quicker than the GPS apps on my phone. Each shot I have to get it out of my golf bag, then unlock the screen, then go back into the app, then get onto the correct hole (if it doesn't advance automatically), and that all takes time and contributes to slow play. Much quicker to just grab the laser and zap the flag.
Not all GPS are on phone, not all switch off between shots and not all get anything out each time either!
I have a full visual display of the hole, or green, with other options I use once in a blue moon (such as being able to establish the dog leg distances referenced in another post) at the press of a button.
It's all mounted and visibleinvisible in real time live at all times.

Basically I'm finished with it and standing over the ball with my club and shot selected before you have even grabbed your laser...

Speed isn't a simple lazer v Gps argument.

User20204

Visit site
, so if anything that is the one slowing up play.

Again this obsession about slow arises. I doubt any time is lost with someone zapping a flag and taking ten seconds to do so, particularly when it is done while others are playing their shot.

On the GPS/RF debate and accuracy issue, I guess it's dependant on players ability, for example I'm not overly sure a 20 handicapper using a laser is best but if he/she is happy using it then fair enough, consequently, gps is not for me as I want to know the exact distance, whether I can hit that number or not it's the point, it's knowing that is the number not if it's 120 or 127, aferall, 7 yards is 21 feet, that could be a 21 foot putt closer.

D

Deleted member 1147

I use both.
Assuming I'm playing an approach shot my routine is:
I get to the ball, look at the GPS (which is hanging on the side of my bag) to see front, middle & back - then laser to the flag, so I can get an idea of where it is on the green. I then decide on my club based on pin position, the hazards around the green, the best miss/worst miss and slope on the green. I then play my shot.
It takes very little time (it's looking for my tee shots that takes up all the time :eek:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again this obsession about slow arises. I doubt any time is lost with someone zapping a flag and taking ten seconds to do so, particularly when it is done while others are playing their shot.
I would never have mentioned it, but he suggested GPS apps on the phone would contribute to slow play but a laser would not, which I found laughable that's all.

User20204

Visit site
I would never have mentioned it, but he suggested GPS apps on the phone would contribute to slow play but a laser would not, which I found laughable that's all.

I think there is possibly more faffing about with a phone than a laser, may be not but with a phone you have to open the screen etc, I just personally found a phone just a PITA.

sunshine

Visit site
Not joking, no. Phone is in the bag on my cart so awkward to get out whilst walking, so would have to stop in any case. Laser is in a case that is kept unzipped during play, and kept closed by a small elastic strap, so it's arrive at ball, get laser out, power it up as I'm bringing it up to my eye, zap flag and read yardage, back in case and closed. I would say less than 10 seconds in all.

This is funny. Maybe if you kept your phone in your trouser pocket and your laser in the bag on your cart, you would find the phone convenient and the laser awkward?

Personally I prefer the laser, as I can measure anything I want... not just the flag, but bunkers, trees, hazards. The laser is on my bag, I can take it out as I'm walking and can even zap a flag before I've put my bag down.

Pros and cons to GPS and laser, it's a personal preference really.

sunshine

Visit site
I use the Hole 19 free phone app. I find it does everything I would need. You can get yardages to the pin, or to any hazard, or to a lay-up position. The yardage is accurate enough for me and 20's handicap golf swing. And you can still get your yardage on blind shots.

Really?
You can get yardages to the pin? The app is updated every few days whenever the pins are changed?
And any hazard? Everything on the course?
And lay-up position? Everyone has their own preference for lay up distances but the app knows it all?

I'm sure the app works fine and does the job, but don't over sell it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really?
You can get yardages to the pin? The app is updated every few days whenever the pins are changed?
And any hazard? Everything on the course?
And lay-up position? Everyone has their own preference for lay up distances but the app knows it all?

I'm sure the app works fine and does the job, but don't over sell it!
I can put the cursor roughly where the pin is i.e. front, back, left, so yes.
Any hazard, yes - I don't know why you're questioning that? Bunkers don't move do they?
On the last point I mean if there is a ditch and you want to know what yardage you need to hit to be short of it by positioning the cursor there.

Have you actually looked at a phone app, like Hole 19 for example? It shows you an aerial map of the hole so you can get a yardage to any point as I've described above.

D

Deleted member 1147

I can put the cursor roughly where the pin is i.e. front, back, left, so yes.
Any hazard, yes - I don't know why you're questioning that? Bunkers don't move do they?
On the last point I mean if there is a ditch and you want to know what yardage you need to hit to be short of it by positioning the cursor there.
I can move the pin on my gps, but if it’s a blind green, raised for example, you can’t tell how far back it is. Hence the value of a laser.

D

Deleted member 1147

How is the laser valuable on a blind green?? :unsure:
When you can see some of the flag stick, but not the surface of the green.
Otherwise you can’t tell how far back, on the green, the hole is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you can see some of the flag stick, but not the surface of the green.
Otherwise you can’t tell how far back, on the green, the hole is.
That sounds like a very specific scenario, but ok. Obviously there are merits for both if you have the resources, but I think for those on a budget, a free GPS app is more than adequate - particularly for higher handicaps.

D

Deleted member 1147

That sounds like a very specific scenario, but ok. Obviously there are merits for both if you have the resources, but I think for those on a budget, a free GPS app is more than adequate - particularly for higher handicaps.
At my course alone we have 5 greens where you can’t see the putting surface fully & so it is invaluable if you want to get accurate distances

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my course alone we have 5 greens where you can’t see the putting surface fully & so it is invaluable if you want to get accurate distances
Personally if the green is slightly above me I just play the yardage to the middle/back but as a much better player than me, I take the point that you desire more accuracy than that. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the apps allow you to download the course to your phone, so it is available when you have no phone signal. Your GPS reception is unaffected by your phone signal as it is based on how many of the satellites are overhead at any particular time.
Correct, in Hole19 if you download the map when you have wifi it should store it in the app and you can play that course from the 'synced courses' section.

D

Deleted member 1147

Personally if the green is slightly above me I just play the yardage to the middle/back but as a much better player than me, I take the point that you desire more accuracy than that. (y)
Have you not considered that part of scoring better is hitting to the correct distance more often?