Your distance measuring device

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
What's your preferred distance measuring device and why?
It seems a lot prefer laser rangefinders but I don't get it.
Why not use something like the SwingU app?
It's as easy to get out as a range finder.
You get distances to and from unlike a rangefinder e.g. you want to leave 100 yards in, you can see where and how far to that spot.
It can be used in aeroplane mode if you switch GPS back on.
It's free.
I get preferring a watch with its ease of use but it only shows basic yardages.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And if the flags on a 30 yard long green and I cant see where the flag is exactly, how do I get an accurate distance using GPS?

As for leaving 100 yards, its hardly degree level mathematics to work it out!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a GPS and a laser. Laser gets used for everything. GPS for blind shots or when I don't trust the laser as it's pretty new. Laser is muct better. Exact yardage

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I can't see where on the green a flag is, and they don't have a system telling me (colour of flag, mini flag) then I briefly pontificate on how much better I would score with a lazer...
Then again most do have such an indication, some even have daily pin positions.
Personally I prefer a graphic showing me the layout of the hole, or green and green side features with distances - a lot like a dynamic stroke saver book for those that remember them; which many good GPS systems provide 🤔

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Laser and GPS here.
GPS for long range yardages, laser for shorter lengths plus working out if the flag is front middle or back - or how front middle or back because sometimes a flag looks front middle and it's back middle...can be a club difference on some greens

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I use the Hole 19 app. Which used to give me distances on my apple watch, but has stopped working a few weeks ago and not managed to get it going again.

However the iphone screen gives you a plan of the hole and yardage to the front of each green. Plus you can move points on the screen to identify how far to a burn or bunker etc.

I considered getting a range finder as obviously it does give you a yardage right to a pin or face of a bunker etc. But my main plan was to use on the practice ground or driving range to really dial in yardages for 50 to 100 yard practice. However been put off by the cost, but might get round to it at some point.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have both.

The GPS is used from the off and the laser only comes out occasionally on my home course.

However I know the course so well that I really do not need either for the majority of shots.

The biggest use of the laser for me is due to slightly failing eyesight and sometimes I cannot work out where the flag is on the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the Hole 19 free phone app. I find it does everything I would need. You can get yardages to the pin, or to any hazard, or to a lay-up position. The yardage is accurate enough for me and 20's handicap golf swing. And you can still get your yardage on blind shots.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have arcoss 360, so use the yardages on there via my apple iwatch

Apple Watch is ok but has you have to disable Siri and all notifications whilst playing as it has a tendency to buzz mid shot.

Also have a bushnell laser which I must be honest I’ve been lazy about using of late.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
And if the flags on a 30 yard long green and I cant see where the flag is exactly, how do I get an accurate distance using GPS?

As for leaving 100 yards, its hardly degree level mathematics to work it out!

Good point on if you can't tell where the flag is. Seems a lot of people have both because of this.
Although on all the straight holes with no hazards to lay up to/clear that you seem to play on then you should be able to tell where the flag is!

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surprised to see a lot have both but I see why now.
Hole 19 is popular, I'll definitely be giving that a run out.
Just downloaded it and previewed a course, the GIR is so low! Maybe I'm not so bad after all 😂

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Laser and GPS here.
GPS for long range yardages, laser for shorter lengths plus working out if the flag is front middle or back - or how front middle or back because sometimes a flag looks front middle and it's back middle...can be a club difference on some greens
Same here...all contingencies covered 👌

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only use a GPS, might ask a mate for a distance with a later once a round.

Not thinking about buying my own laser.

Wife can’t contact me on the GPS so prefer it to the phone.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I have arcoss 360, so use the yardages on there via my apple iwatch

Apple Watch is ok but has you have to disable Siri and all notifications whilst playing as it has a tendency to buzz mid shot.

Also have a bushnell laser which I must be honest I’ve been lazy about using of late.
I started to use arcs too, but my watch doesn’t like it always, and I am not sure about setting pin positions properly.
Saying that, my last 4 rounds had 3 of my 4 best ever scores and more pars per round than ever. Not yet played enough for the caddy function.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't be bothered to have my batteries charged (GPS) for practice games so I would only use the laser for these.

For comps this year I use both. laser pin. then I can ask myself if the club I will choose will ever go out the back of the green.

Or what is the minimum club I need to clear the front traps and make its way up the green.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I use a shotscope V2 as I track all my rounds. Consequently it provides yardages to hazards, f/m/b of green etc.

I also use a bushnell laser. GPS apps, watches etc are fine to give approximate yardages to points on a green but none to my knowledge can accurately determine a pin position. Knowing it’s 92 yard to the pin rather than roughly say 95-99 yards for instance is a huge deal to me.

Sandsider

Visit site
Interesting thread. I would find it useful to know handicaps alongside r/f preferences. Maybe experience in years as well??