Pocket sized GPS device

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the moment, I don't use any kind of DMD. It seems to me that it's silly not to really - I just can't see the downside.

For a while I used my iphone, but given I can't use it in competitions, I stopped using it altogether.

I'm now thinking of getting quite a basic device. All I'm really interested in is distance to the green and distance to major hazards. I don't like wearing a watch to play golf, so that's out.

I don't wan't to spend much more than £100 if it can be avoided.

Seems to me like the devices that might suit my needs are:

Bushnell Neo Ghost
Bushenll Neo plus
Skycaddie Aire
Skycaddie Aire II

The need to subscribe puts me off skycaddies generally.

Anyone got any thoughts on any of these?

I think I'd like one that I could strap to my bag - so again, if anyone has thoughts on which are more or less suitable let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not buy a Garmin watch and cut the straps off? or strap it to your bag? most of the handheld ones i have seen are more than pocket size...

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the Skycaddie Aire, great little device which gives you distances to front middle and back of green.

Battery power is very good, will last 2+ rounds for me, much better than the Golf Buddy Voice I have which only ever lasts around 18-24 holes.

You dont need a paid subscription with this, its free if you stick with the Go Play Membership.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Garmin G3 - usually available from all good auction sites (and eBay)
Should be in budget, gives all you need and I use the clip to attach to my trolley.
Job's a goodun!!

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can recommend the SkyCaddie Aire II, very neat little device which fits in your pocket nicely. No yearly subscription either unless you want the extras, which imo arent worth the money.

The SkyCaddie's also tend to be more accurate as they walk the course to measure it rather than use maps etc

gavmatt

Visit site
I have the Bushnell Neo Plus and like it a lot. I only use it for front, middle & back of green but I think it you can add hazards and possibly measure shot distances as well.

The plus points with it are it's cheapness (I paid £90), it's also non-subscription with most courses already loaded & the battery life is fantastic. I keep it in my pocket and can get about 10 rounds out of it before it needs recharging. Once switched on it seems to be activated by daylight so when it's in your pocket the screen goes blank and that must prolong the battery life. It comes with a bag/belt clip which I don't use but i'd imagine the battery life would be a lot less if it was always exposed to daylight during the round.

The minor negatives points I've found with it are when you take it out of your pocket it takes 4 or 5 seconds to wake up which was annoying at first but I've since learnt to take it out as I'm approaching my ball. The other thing is that it's so small I'm supprised I haven't lost it yet. As I say these are only slight negatives.

All in all it's been a good buy for me.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Garmin G3 - usually available from all good auction sites (and eBay)
Should be in budget, gives all you need and I use the clip to attach to my trolley.
Job's a goodun!!

I got one of these off eBay for £82. Been using it for about a month and I would recommend it. Screen is good, it's easy to use and gives you Front, Middle, Back and the distance to hazards.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
No reason you can't use an iPhone that I'm aware of....

Only the iPhone 6 would cause problems as it has a barometer so would be capable of measuring environmental conditions at your current location.

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/...Equipment Documents/RandA-DMD-13mar-2014.ashx

All previous models should be fine.

On saying that the statement by Dean Ryan (senior USGA official) that Rulefan has quoted in the rule sections has really thrown the cat among the pigeons :D

As for the OP. What about a Golf Buddy from the voice range. http://www.golfbuddyglobal.com/products/?pType=3

Last edited: