Different membership deal

Mandofred

Visit site
Ripon has never been a very busy course and now it turns out they have been losing a little money the last couple of years. Since the course was open more than the other area courses over the winter they are offering a 5 month membership to try and get more people playing over the winter.....and a bit more money in the bank. I haven't seen how much they are asking for the 5 months yet.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kingsdown, nr Bath have a winter membership. They are built on chalkland unlike the rest of the area which is mainly clay so drain really well. Not sure on costs as they still have last years details on the website but this was sold out.
I think a deal like this is only worthwhile if the course drains well, just because it is open more than others doesn't always mean it should be open and can be a sign of desperation from the owners - especially it they are losing money as you suggest.

ntommo

Visit site
We do this at our club up in Cumbria. Half links half parkland and the links 9 is generally open all winter whereas the parkland is generally closed 3-4 month of winter. £120 from October to end of Feb

Mandofred

Visit site
I am a member at Ripon. It's drier than the other two courses I've been a member at during the winter. While it certainly gets muddy like most clay type courses, just drains better. The old front 9 is built mostly on gypsum....so plenty of "bomb holes" on a number of holes from pockets of gypsum in the ground dissolving away, but also allows for water to drain better...and it's fairly hilly. The newer back 9 just drains ok....several places (first 100yds of hole 13 and 18) end up being blocked off during the wettest periods.

D-S

Visit site
Kingsdown, nr Bath have a winter membership. They are built on chalkland unlike the rest of the area which is mainly clay so drain really well. Not sure on costs as they still have last years details on the website but this was sold out.
I think a deal like this is only worthwhile if the course drains well, just because it is open more than others doesn't always mean it should be open and can be a sign of desperation from the owners - especially it they are losing money as you suggest.
Filton are also doing it, not sure why as it doesn’t drain particularly well. £495 Oct-March vs £1195 12 months.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smart move in that part of N.Yorkshire. It's not uncommon for the links courses up here to offer a winter membership but for a parkland to do it, interesting move.

The only issue they have to be careful of is not to sell too many and upset the 12 month members. It's a balancing act.

Mandofred

Visit site
Smart move in that part of N.Yorkshire. It's not uncommon for the links courses up here to offer a winter membership but for a parkland to do it, interesting move.

The only issue they have to be careful of is not to sell too many and upset the 12 month members. It's a balancing act.
They "say" they have a certain amount to be had. There really isn't a hard time getting tee times at Ripon....especially during the week. The only time there is real congestion is Saturday mornings when they usually have some kind of comp on.

I'm likely to go back to a 2 club membership next year...which actually reduces how much I pay at Ripon.

The Lion

Visit site
We do this at our club up in Cumbria. Half links half parkland and the links 9 is generally open all winter whereas the parkland is generally closed 3-4 month of winter. £120 from October to end of Feb
Maryport perhaps…

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is the course quiet over the winter? If it is busy with members normally, I would not be happy if the place was now rammed with these folk.
If the club is struggling, that’s a different matter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any course that’s built on clay will have the potential to be a mess in the winter
No kidding

After the rain we are "no buggies" today but I know similar courses locally have been closed already as it is waterlogged. We have done a lot of drainage work so it'll be interesting to see how well it works. If somewhere decent offered a five month membership I'd definitely consider it. If you see the course at potentially its worse condition but like it perhaps I'd consider moving so it could be a good idea to get long term members