Dementia Awareness

Thread starter #341

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I

MiL got a phone call.whilst we were away last Monday. Bottom line, they are looking at getting FIL into some kind of respite care 1 day a week at the moment with them both going to groups that deal with dementia/ alziemers. This has been mentioned before but MIL has not chased it up when suggested to her.
We found up here that respite care was only available for a minimum 1 week stay, where available at all. You may have more provision but bear in mind, particularly in a covid era, you may not get exactly what you want. A degree of flexibility may be needed.

In all honesty, 1 day is barely respite but I appreciate it may be a case of baby steps.

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
We found up here that respite care was only available for a minimum 1 week stay, where available at all. You may have more provision but bear in mind, particularly in a covid era, you may not get exactly what you want. A degree of flexibility may be needed.

In all honesty, 1 day is barely respite but I appreciate it may be a case of baby steps.
I hope it is just a start. Been out of the loop the last 10 days With jols..normal service resumes on Wednesday
0 fays

pauldj42

Money List Winner

I think it varies mate, fil went in for 2 weeks respite. That was a few years back so may of changed due to availability etc.

Thread starter #344

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I think it varies mate, fil went in for 2 weeks respite. That was a few years back so may of changed due to availability etc.
Very much so. We originally looked at putting my MiL in for a couple of days but soon discovered 1 week was the minimum option. No doubt it will vary from area to area, some shorter, some longer. I just wanted Tashy to be aware of that and be prepared.

Covid has messed this up as well, homes don't want as much movement as they used to for obvious reasons.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Before he went in permanently, we put the FiL in for respite 2 or 3 times for various lengths. He was a little more with-it at the time and wasn't particularly happy about going in. Also, the home he went in to originally for respite was commercial (the one he is now is a charity) and so whilst the care was OK, I know from other people I know in the Care business that costs are always an issue. The one he is in now is a charitable institution and they tend to have more long-term staff which means more continuity for the residents. Even if he is only going in for a day (or a few days), do some research, visit the places, understand their ethos, as the impression they make on his first visit can have an impact on the way they view going into a home for the longer term. I know my FiL didn't want to go back to the first home but is perfectly settled now in his new one.