Cure putters. Anyone tried one?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Revolutionary design, seriously heavy & fully adjustable, including weight & lie angle. You can even convert from right to left handed.

A mate of mine rang them & asked where he could get a fitting. They said nowhere near him but if he bought one & didn't like it he could return it for a refund within a month. They sent him two heads & a full weight kit & when another member expressed an interest they sent another weight kit & shaft.

I had a go. Although it's very heavy it has an aircraft grade aluminium face which is very springy & pings loudly, softening the impact. You'd think, being heavy, the ball would shoot off the face but this is not the case. The high MOI is supposed to make it very difficult to swing in anything but a straight line.

Two of us tried it but we're unconvinced. Our mate, who bought it says it revolutionised his game but, playing with us he missed a couple of 4 footers. As he said, it doesn't read the putts for you.

Anyone got any experience of these putters?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A fella at my club is the UK distributor of CURE. A putting coach who I've seen in Hull sells and swears by them. I've tried the CX3 which is the smaller of the range but it still looks like a house brick to me. But I got to say it does swing well and the feel off the face is really nice. But I can't get past the house brick.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think this is what Peter Finch has started using on his latest videos. Never used one but the one he has looks absolutely massive.

I don’t think he’s putting as well with that compared to his previous putter.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I bought one! They retail at £265. I got an EBay alert about one for sale, Buy it Now, for £90 & snapped it up. Don't know why it was so cheap, it's perfect & came with a full weight kit. It will have its first outing on Sunday. Watch this space!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
First impressions:

Went out yesterday & used it, without so much as a practice putt. First putt was a curly 6 footer which lipped out, almost perfect strength. I love the putter for short ones. My procedure for 3 footers & under with borrow is to putt high side , just inside the hole, & hit firmly. Sometimes I pull or push them, feeling that I don't have control of the putter. With the Cure it feels as if you can't do anything but swing it on the chosen line. I didn't miss one of these & that is quite unusual.

You would have thought that, with all the weight, it's seriously heavy, it would be difficult to judge distance. This is not the case. In spite of the weight I found that the same length of swing to a conventional putter works. Coming off the blade there is a loud "ping" sound from the aircraft grade aluminium face & I guess that the 5" length of the blade allows it to flex more & the ball stays on the face a bit longer. Can't think of any other explanation, there's no dampening material included. A lot of long putts finished very close to the hole & I don't remember three putting more than once.

An encouraging start. I'll persevere with it for sure. I think it may be difficult going back to a normally weighted putter after using this, it would feel like you had no control over it which, for me, is often the case with short putts.

Here's a photo for those who haven't seen one. Someone said it looked like a pair of opera glasses on a stick.

Cure.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks odd but sounds right up my street. I use quite a heavy Odyssey as it is - hate lighter putters as I find them a bit wavy and hard to keep on line.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would be superb if you could hold it up and use as binoculars for ball spotting your partner's drives ;)

But seriously, whatever works for you
If it feels nicely weighted and stable on short putts then it's all good especially as it's adjustable and for that price 👍

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
£470 for a state of the art driver that won't knock a shot of your score or £260 for a putter using proven physics that will, and more. No contest.
And, your equipment will be bigger than anyone else's.
Seriously, these putters are superb. Do yourself a favour and try one.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Well, I missed my first putt of 3½ feet or less on the 71st hole of the weekend & that was because I didn't hit it firmly enough not because I pulled or pushed it. Yesterday I took us from all square to dormie 3 in three holes with putts of 5 to 6 feet. If you choose the right line with this putter it's almost impossible not to putt the ball down that line, the putter virtually swings itself. My putting was noticeably better, everyone remarked on it.

The confidence it gives you on holeable putts is great. You just choose a line & concentrate on the pace. I really like it, despite being very sceptical when I first saw one.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well, I missed my first putt of 3½ feet or less on the 71st hole of the weekend & that was because I didn't hit it firmly enough not because I pulled or pushed it. Yesterday I took us from all square to dormie 3 in three holes with putts of 5 to 6 feet. If you choose the right line with this putter it's almost impossible not to putt the ball down that line, the putter virtually swings itself. My putting was noticeably better, everyone remarked on it.

The confidence it gives you on holeable putts is great. You just choose a line & concentrate on the pace. I really like it, despite being very sceptical when I first saw one.

I did tell you and Hickory 1, ye of little faith. As you say, it's the effect on one's confidence that is most noticeable. I expect to hole every putt now. I don't, obviously, but I scare the living daylights out of the hole regularly. At least I won't have to give you as many shots next time :D

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I did tell you and Hickory 1, ye of little faith. As you say, it's the effect on one's confidence that is most noticeable. I expect to hole every putt now. I don't, obviously, but I scare the living daylights out of the hole regularly. At least I won't have to give you as many shots next time :D
There's nowt like first hand experience. The test will be in the summer with fast, curly downhill putts. I don't really see a problem with this, though, as you just choose the length of stroke, take the putter back & virtually let it swing itself back to the ball. It's much harder to give it a bit extra or decelerate & the fact that the ball comes off the face quite softly makes it easy to control. I did leave one long putt 6 feet short yesterday - I holed the next one!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I am now a complete convert & evangelist. Since starting to use the putter I have only missed one putt that I would say I shouldn't have missed. The confidence the club gives you on 3 to 4 footers is marvellous. Choose the correct line & strength & you've holed it. With my old putter I lost count of the number of short, sometimes very short, putts I missed.

Today I shot 5 over, with no birdies, but I didn't miss one putt I should have holed & knocked in two or three vital ones for pars.

You might think that such a heavy putter would be difficult on long putts / fast greens. Our greens are still quite quick & my distance control is better than it has been for a long time. Most of today's second putts were given.

Can't see me going back to a conventional putter.