My Mate Bought The Weirdest Putter I've Ever Seen

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate reckons he has a problem with closing the face on putts. He's tried changing his grip, he's bought about five different putters this year - you could say he's a tinkerer. Now he decided he wanted a broom handle type putter so he jumped on eBay and found one.. but it is bizarre. I couldn't find any information about this from Googling, or even an image so I've got him to send me the photos he had from the eBay listing. It's made by TearDrop, and the face of it is Convex, i.e. it curves outwards. Has anyone ever seen anything like it?? What possible benefit can that have? I swear a few putts he hit just jumped/bounced immediately (possibly if he lifted the putter too early perhaps).

Anyone seen this or even used one? Looks like a squashed Red Bull can on the end of a stick. ?

IMG-20221222-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20221222-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20221222-WA0002.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Seen something very similar while caddying for an American back in the summer. In fact saw plenty of strange putters, some real monsters ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tear Drop putters have been around for a very long time.

I guess the concept is very similar to using a Putter Ball, trains you in to hitting a pure strike.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tear Drop putters have been around for a very long time.

I guess the concept is very similar to using a Putter Ball, trains you in to hitting a pure strike.
So do we think it could genuinely be something that's almost a training aid rather than a proper gaming putter?? I can't find a single bit of info about it. Don't even know how old it is or anything.
Good luck holing a putt with that if he doesn't absolutely middle it....
Yeah, it does look awful to putt with. As I said I'm sure a few of putts bounced whereas some others rolled a bit better. Obviously no milling or anything on the face at all either. I can't see it being particularly helpful. ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I played once (maybe 20yrs ago?) with a bloke who had a putter with a concave section in the middle of his putter face....if he hit towards the toe the ball would shoot left, towards the heel and it shot right. I dont know who sold it him but he must have been a bloody top salesman!!!!

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
I remember them from years ago - I think that they were quite expensive at the time - certainly more than I could afford as a Junior. They were supposed to put a consistent roll on the ball whether you caught it on the upswing or hit down on the ball a little - I suppose a little bit like what SIK are doing with their "new" face technology
It definitely wasn't a training aid though, they were putters that were played