The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For anyone who doesnt think the ECB, its money grabbing and scheduling isnt part of the problem, England play a T20 international in Barbados on Saturday (yes 6 days time!!!)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Seemed to me The Ashes series was actually practice for the T20 matches!:rolleyes:

I have a mate (yes, honestly) who asks why we don’t just bat like we do in white ball cricket, as we’d score more.

Whilst he clearly doesn’t get the difference between the two formats, I am sadly beginning to think he has a point. ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
England were docked 8 points for a slow over-rate and gained 4 for clinging on at the SCG - so would be better-placed in the World Test Championship if they'd forfeited all five Tests and stayed home

Grizzly

Visit site
There are 3 Test Matches aginst W.Indies starting in March. It would be extremely interesting to name the squad. Who do you think will be going?

Who I'd like to see:

Crawley
Yates
Malan
Root
Bairstow
Lawrence
Bohannon
Foakes
Stokes
Thompson
Wood
Broad or Anderson
Robinson
Fisher
Garton
Parkinson

Harsh on Mahmood but his poor stamina mean test cricket is a year or so away.

D

Deleted member 15344

Who I'd like to see:

Crawley
Yates
Malan
Root
Bairstow
Lawrence
Bohannon
Foakes
Stokes
Thompson
Wood
Broad or Anderson
Robinson
Fisher
Garton
Parkinson

Harsh on Mahmood but his poor stamina mean test cricket is a year or so away.

Crawley
Yates
Malan
Bracey or Foakes
Abell
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Wood
Broad
Overton
Fisher or Cook
Mahmood
Leach

Rest Robinson , Anderson

Grizzly

Visit site
Crawley
Yates
Malan
Bracey or Foakes
Abe
Crawley
Yates
Malan
Bracey or Foakes
Abell
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Wood
Broad
Overton
Fisher or Cook
Mahmood
Leach

Rest Robinson , Anderson

Curious about a couple of your calls here - Bracey or Foakes? Do you see Bracey as an option with the gloves? Also Abell. He didn't have a good year last year, and I'm struggling to see where he fits in to a Test side.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
would love to see us a send a more "development" squad, think theres a chance the likes of Stokes, Bairstow, Malan will need a rest before the IPL a few days after the final test....

when you start trying to write a 16 man squad leaving out most of the current incumbents you start to realise just how empty the cupboard seems to be, i guess the only way to find out would be to give some a go, expect it will be more of the same in the main though with a few guys getting another chance

surely Foakes goes as first choice keeper, they take a look at Parkinson as the main spinner, Lawrence should get some game time and they may take a look at Garton, Mahmood

D

Deleted member 15344

Curious about a couple of your calls here - Bracey or Foakes? Do you see Bracey as an option with the gloves? Also Abell. He didn't have a good year last year, and I'm struggling to see where he fits in to a Test side.
Yep Bracey with the gloves - didn’t have a glorious debut with the bat but solid behind the stumps -

And Abell can open , did it well early career , can also provide cover for Stokes in at 6 and can bowl

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looked at the marking for The ’Test‘ series in Oz, i had my doubts about referring it as a test from the ‘i’ newspaper. There were a few 1 ‘s bt Hameed was the winner/ loser with a -1. Tad generous I thought!

sunshine

Visit site
Looked at the marking for The ’Test‘ series in Oz, i had my doubts about referring it as a test from the ‘i’ newspaper. There were a few 1 ‘s bt Hameed was the winner/ loser with a -1. Tad generous I thought!

I saw that too but I thought the mark for Hameed was a bit spiteful. Could have given him 1 like Burns, -1 is just being mean.

sunshine

Visit site
Although the Ashes was a complete debacle, England do have half the jigsaw...

Anderson was superb when he played. The Aussies had so much respect for him, which is why he wasn't the top wicket taker, but that just heaps pressure on the batters.
Broad is still world class and bowls some terrific spells. Showed Warner is still his bunny.
Wood showed what he can do and got his reward in the final test.
Robinson bowled some brilliant spells, just needs to become more consistent throughout the match.
Archer, when he comes back, is England's most lethal bowler.
Woakes is rubbish in Australia, but we knew that and he will be dangerous at home in the summer.
Overton and Stone are also good back up options.
ok there are no spinners in that list, we will need green seaming wickets in the summer :(

Top 7 is a different matter. For Windies we need:
Two new openers
Crawley
Root
Bairstow
Drop Stokes he needs a rest
Foakes

sunshine

Visit site
The only problem is that if England do secure a battling draw in the next match, the Aussies will come back and crush all that optimism

It was just too easy to predict. No need for Mystic Meg.

I'm going for England to lose 1-0 in the Windies, draw 0-0 against NZ in a rain affected series, then go down 2-1 to SA which will see Root resign the captaincy and Silverwood sacked.