The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Andersen out of the first test

Wood, Woakes, Robinson and Broad or Leach

Keep raining please.....

Seems a little odd to be resting Anderson for the first Test. I could understand it if he was injured, but in the first match of a series you surely have to go with your strongest side.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is Father Time finally catching up with Anderson? Although I’m not sure he’s bowled well down under in the past.

Billysboots

Visit site
Is Father Time finally catching up with Anderson? Although I’m not sure he’s bowled well down under in the past.

I suspect it probably is, but Woakes has never really been that impressive away from home in my view - I’d have gone for Anderson ahead of him, especially in a first Test of a series, 11 times out of 10.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very poor. Need a miracle or weather intervention. Perhaps shouldn't be surprised given the lack of first class cricket these players have had and ludicrous to think they can simply rock up with and perform. I know the warm up games were weather affected but even so when was the last time they played red ball cricket in a competitive game.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of inter-team warm ups that were rain affected. Perfect prep for an ashes series LOL. Hopefully we'll make a fist of it.

Billysboots

Visit site
It certainly isn’t the first time the first ball of an Ashes series down under perhaps sets the tone for the cricket to follow. I’m sure Steve Harmison still has nightmares about sending the first ball of the series to the slip cordon all those years ago.

That said, the buck stops firmly with Joe Root for this latest debacle, following yet another bafflingly inept piece of captaincy.

Picture the scene. First morning of an Ashes series. Arguably the most fragile batting lineup in Test cricket, hopelessly ill prepared having barely played first class cricket in months, facing arguably the strongest pace attack in the world. The wicket is “tinged with green”, the pundits expecting it to give the bowlers some help early on. Root wins the toss. And what does he do? He opts to bat. I’ll bet Australia couldn’t believe their luck.

As for me, thanks to that first day I’m afraid I’ve already lost interest in this series. Same old, same old, but there are times we go out of our way to make things difficult for ourselves. I foresee England losing this by an innings, with a whitewash very much on the cards.

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As for me, thanks to that first day I’m afraid I’ve already lost internet in this series

Billy B, you were lucky to lose internet as opposed to interest but I watched it and long may it rain!

D

Deleted member 15344

So the batting line up which hasn’t had much preparation, on a decent day for bowling , Root wins the toss - perfect - sorry what ?! The went into bat - is that up there with Hussain years back

Billysboots

Visit site
As for me, thanks to that first day I’m afraid I’ve already lost internet in this series

Billy B, you were lucky to lose internet as opposed to interest but I watched it and long may it rain!

Predictive text - the scourge of those who use the interest ?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I usually stay up and watch the first hour but felt rough and went to bed, with a plan of getting up at 0430 to watch the back end of the day - the dog woke me at 0300, I checked the score and got a few more hours sleep! Some poor shots, Burns' was an absolute howler, a big test for the Bowlers, after a couple of big decisions to leave out Broad/bat first.