Courses with great opening and closing holes.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Northcliffe (Shipley)

Requires a decent shot / drive over the 18th fairway / green to reach the fairway on the other side. The 18th itself is just wonderful. Beautiful par three.

Wolf

Visit site
I have a (irrational) dislike of par 3s as finishing holes (and opening holes!) ..... even though there are some really good examples of both!
Same here never enjoyed starting on a par 3 or ending on one, ironically the course I spent most of my golfing life up toll now ended on a par 3 always hated that hole

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our par three (SI 10) is a real challenge off the whites and plays 229 yards from the plates. OOB in range for a slice, a pond short left for a hook and two bunkers left and one right. There is also a line of trees forty yards right that creeps in as well and can block anything short and right. Add in a ditch left of the bunkers and there's enough to get your attention. Most including the single figure guys will take a four and move on. I think a par three can be a strong opening

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our par three (SI 10) is a real challenge off the whites and plays 229 yards from the plates. OOB in range for a slice, a pond short left for a hook and two bunkers left and one right. There is also a line of trees forty yards right that creeps in as well and can block anything short and right. Add in a ditch left of the bunkers and there's enough to get your attention. Most including the single figure guys will take a four and move on. I think a par three can be a strong opening
Sounds tough
Is it a 'great hole' though?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Birkdale in my opinion has the best opening and closing holes I have played as a pair. Think the first is the best opening hole on the Open rota and the 18th can be a brute into the wind.

Thinking the same. 1st is a nasty git and 18th is pretty as a picture.

Had the stands up when I played it though which either adds or detracts from the hole. Can’t make my mind up either way.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot of links courses have the clubhouse away from the dunes on a flat bit of land. Might explain why sometimes the first and last holes which start and finish near the clubhouse are not the best holes on the course ? Cinque Ports, Littlestone, West Lancs, Hayling, Royal St George’s, Portrush etc spring to mind.

There are of course exceptions such as Birkdale and Royal County Down, but not many that I have played have both strong first and last holes. Heathland and parkland courses don’t have such restrictions on the siting of the clubhouse

Just a theory.(y)