Courses with great opening and closing holes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kings is a good shout, last especially is a very nice par 5.
?
Never realised that was a par 5

Personally I believe all the Wentworth courses have great opening and closing holes - although both the East and Edinburgh greens feel like they are in the middle of nowhere!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
?

Personally I believe all the Wentworth courses have great opening and closing holes - although both the East and Edinburgh greens feel like they are in the middle of nowhere!

First on West is great but don't like 18. Both on Edinburgh are good and east is the best finishing hole on the complex - indeed its the best course of the three, or would clearly be after a sympathetic upgrade

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
?

Definitely par 5 off of black and white tees, may be a 4 off of yellow?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Kings is a good shout, last especially is a very nice par 5.

Yep agree with you on that , great big inviting fairway on the first and it’s then all about keeping the ball under the hole for the second and a cracking par 5 to finish and you are just trying your best to fire the tee shot over the hill and avoid the bunkers.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hard to beat Blackmoor in my opinion, and if you start on the 10th and finish on the 9th not bad either. ;)18th is the signature hole and my favourite hole on the course. 1st eases you into the round, typical Colt design, and has probably the best green on the course.

Ferndown also has strong opening and closing holes.

I like the first at St Enodoc but not a great fan of the 18th. Same goes for Burnham and Royal County Down. 1st hole at Staunton is a really tough hole, but not one of my favourites. Green is too small for such a long hole.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Phil has said, 8 can think of a lot of cracking finishing holes, but not too many great opening holes....especially on the same course.

D

Deleted member 17920

Alwoodley

And this will be quite divisive Trump Aberdeen.

And Blackmoor isn’t bad either.

D

Deleted member 15344

Alwoodley

And this will be quite divisive Trump Aberdeen.

And Blackmoor isn’t bad either.

Wasn’t the first at Alwoodley just a straight forward par four with a couple of bunkers on the right ? Remember the 18th being a beast from the elevated tee with a tight fairway and bunkers up both sides

D

Deleted member 17920

Wasn’t the first at Alwoodley just a straight forward par four with a couple of bunkers on the right ? Remember the 18th being a beast from the elevated tee with a tight fairway and bunkers up both sides
It was but it’s still a decent looking opening hole I reckon, bunkers all laid out nicely in front of you with OB to the left.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to beat Blackmoor in my opinion, and if you start on the 10th and finish on the 9th not bad either. ;)18th is the signature hole and my favourite hole on the course. 1st eases you into the round, typical Colt design, and has probably the best green on the course.

Ferndown also has strong opening and closing holes.

I like the first at St Enodoc but not a great fan of the 18th. Same goes for Burnham and Royal County Down. 1st hole at Staunton is a really tough hole, but not one of my favourites. Green is too small for such a long hole.
How can you not like the 18th at Burnham? It’s Better than most of the 18ths on the open rota

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I've played anywhere with "great" 1st and 18th but those that spring to mind on the better end would be Silloth and West Lancs.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I've played anywhere with "great" 1st and 18th but those that spring to mind on the better end would be Silloth and West Lancs.
Played west lancs on Thursday for the first time and really enjoyed it. Wouldn’t have said either hole was great though.