Courses with great opening and closing holes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm going to throw Carne into the mix, downwind 400 yard opener between the dunes then the 18th is a 550 yard par 5 over a rollercoaster fairway and a gully in front of a raised green. Oh.....and it's usually into the wind :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As well as the nominations I listed earlier in the thread, there are many courses with great 18th holes but weak opening holes. I'd certainly put The Alwoodley in that category. It's one of my all time favourite courses, but I don't see how the 1st could be considered a great hole. It's the least memorable and least challenging on the course IMHO. The 18th on the other hand is a brilliant finishing hole.

There are seemingly very few courses that have an outstanding 1st hole and a weak 18th hole. My nomination for best opening hole would probably go to Broadstone. From the back tees it is a fantastic par 5 to start a round. It looks stunning with the heather and the ditch, it requires strategy, and there's enough challenge whilst still easing you into the round. However, the 18th at Broadstone is probably the weakest hole on the course, which is why I didn't nominate it as a course with a great opening and closing hole.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's interesting reading what people define as great holes. The opening hole on a course should not be overly difficult, it should ease the player into the round in a fairly gentle manner, offering the chance of a birdie or a fairly straightforward par.

I totally agree with this. I'm also tempted to say the 18th should not beat you up either as a good finish means you walk off the course with a smile on your face. It should be harder than the 1st, you have had 17 holes to warm up after all, but it should not be a brute either.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's interesting reading what people define as great holes. The opening hole on a course should not be overly difficult, it should ease the player into the round in a fairly gentle manner, offering the chance of a birdie or a fairly straightforward par. Holes like the 1st on Saunton East are really crap opening holes, the average club golfer is likely to start their round with a bogey or possibly much worse. It is a very good hole but not as an opener.
Why should a first hole ease a player into the round? Go to the range before, warm up and get playing.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
First hole certainly isn't easy at my course.

It used to be a par 5 and was usually the hardest hole on the day, generally at least 2 over and sometimes nearer 3 over par.

The first was changed to a 338 yard par 4 just over a couple of years ago which we thought would make it a nice gentle easer-in, but it's still a tough start, typically 3rd or 4th hardest hole on the day at 1.5 shots over par.

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/QUOTE
In the real world 99% of people don't do this. They rock up, swing their arms a bit then off e.g. go. Amateurs on amateur courses, go easy.
and people wonder why A) their handicap is higher than they’d like it to be B) they get injured

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i would agree with the sentiment that the 1st should ease you into your round and shouldn't be punishing.

most of the courses up here the majority start with a nice easy ish hole.

Royal Dornoch, Moray Old, Nairn, Castle Stuart, Brora all start with a fairly easyish hole.

Alas Nairn are changing ours so from a 395 par 4 with a nice flatish green and only two greens side bunkers, its going to a raised green with a Burn behind thats another 30 yards longer:(

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tough question....... I'd probably go for Portstewart Strand. First is an awesome par 4 from a raised tee and you knock it down into the dunes with the sea on your right. The 18th is a tough par 4, usually into the wind, but again the views out to sea and back towards the clubhouse are awesome.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
[/QUOTE
and people wonder why A) their handicap is higher than they’d like it to be B) they get injured

Some people wonder what the soup is and whether to have two bacon rolls after their round!

You are clearly a fantastic golfer who has a different approach to the game that a lot of weekend warriors.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some people wonder what the soup is and whether to have two bacon rolls after their round!

You are clearly a fantastic golfer who has a different approach to the game that a lot of weekend warriors.
It’s not about being a fantastic golfer, it’s about being sensible. I don’t seek out a range, A net will do. But In no other sport would you start without doing some form of warm up? Are there times I walk straight to the 1st tee. Yes. So I’m not saying I’m perfect by any stretch

Wolf

Visit site
My fav golf course, London Club Heritage. 2 absolute crackers to start and end the round.

I've played it a few times and whilst I enjoy the course its not somewhere i'd want to pay that much for to play it week in week out. Nice place for visit now and again though, I do particularly like the 18th

Not sure, but 3 courses close to me (Royal Cinque Ports, Royal St Georges and Littlestone) certainly tick the box of an 'easy' start compared to what is about to unfold in front of you!

RCP nice easy start then beats you up especially when it's blowing out there, I've hit driver and wedge to a Par 5 thanks to immense down wind breeze turn round and hit the same clubs in the same round to a Par 3!

I do agree that a nice ease into the round is good with a strong finish probably why we always tend to remember the holes on the back half of a course more than the first 9.

For me one i'd love to play having visited this year for opening and closing holes would be Le golf National in Paris. 2 stunning holes that look very testing and hoping next year to go back there and play it for my Stag do!

D

Deleted member 1418

Not sure, but 3 courses close to me (Royal Cinque Ports, Royal St Georges and Littlestone) certainly tick the box of an 'easy' start compared to what is about to unfold in front of you!

Not sure I agree with you about RCP - at the meet this year I put my opening tee shot over the clubhouse!!!

D

Deleted member 1418

I'm another who prefers an opening hole that eases you into the round and really sets you up to look forward to the rest of the round and the course. Shouldn't be too long either IMO - a nice par 4 of between 320 and 390 yards would be perfect, offering a number of options on which club to hit depending on wind and course conditions. Yes add a bit of trouble to punish the truly wayward or bad shot, but basically a hole where everyone - irrespective of handicap - has a chance to make a score to get their rounds underway.

Out of the courses I've played over the last few months, West Herts and Berkhamsted are great examples. Of the top 100 courses that I've played there are a number of stand-outs for me - The Old Course; Hotchkin; West Hill; RCP, Saunton West.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm another who prefers an opening hole that eases you into the round and really sets you up to look forward to the rest of the round and the course. Shouldn't be too long either IMO - a nice par 4 of between 320 and 390 yards would be perfect, offering a number of options on which club to hit depending on wind and course conditions. Yes add a bit of trouble to punish the truly wayward or bad shot, but basically a hole where everyone - irrespective of handicap - has a chance to make a score to get their rounds underway.

Out of the courses I've played over the last few months, West Herts and Berkhamsted are great examples. Of the top 100 courses that I've played there are a number of stand-outs for me - The Old Course; Hotchkin; West Hill; RCP, Saunton West.

Old Tom Morris Obviously believed in this and was a great exponent