Your favorite golf hole and why

Klimski

Visit site
Okay, so having played quite a few courses over these last two years, in The Netherlands, Scotland, and the UK, I have defined a favorite golf hole of mine. Of course, this is likely subject to change. But for me, right now, it's ' Loup Ower' the third hole at Kinghorn Golf Club, in Kinghorn Scotland.

Loup Ower
After climbing up onto a high ridge by playing the opening two holes, one reaches the third tee. Overlooking the entire course, Kinghorn town, all the way down to the North Sea, the Firth estuary, Inchkeith Island with its lighthouse, and - on a clear day - all the way to Edinburgh. It's a long par 3, at 156 to 205 yards depending on the tee. The shot goes angled downhill over another fairway and a traditional stone wall to a relatively small green. Danger awaits in all directions, but it's not unfair, a slight miss isn't punished too heavily. When I played it, in gale force winds, I overshot the green slightly left and managed an easy bogey.

Yes, I know there are more dramatic holes (The Rockies at Anstruther comes to mind) and many prettier ones (a few on Cornwall spring to mind, Mullion, Carlyon Bay) - but for me, this is the hole I would love to play every morning just to get the day started.

So, please share: what's your favourite hole and why?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've played Kinghorn course quite a few times but not for about 14 years and at that time I couldn't really hit a ball properly but I agree its a very nice hole and I remember the feeling (on occasion) of getting it over the wall and holding the green

My favourite is the 9th hole at Heritage GC which I'll get to play again at the end of the month

Short par 4 (circa 330yrds) with elevated tee and a fairway that narrows the further you hit the tee shot with water left and right and a green with challenging but fair slopes and bunkers left/right and long
I could play it 18 times over and it'd be well worth the green fee for the round

hole-9-heritage-mauritius.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It could be one of many from the King's course at Gleneagles but I can't for the life of me identify an individual one. So, to keep it simple, the 10th at The Hirsel at Coldstream. Par 3, 90yds, highly elevated tee to a decent sized green surrounded by bunkers and a stream before it. It's a hole that never fails to make me smile when I stand on the tee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't really pick a favourite but just from this year, the 18th at Silvermere was fun. More to watch from the bar than to play though. It's basically a 170-ish lay-up then a 100-110 wedge to the green over a big expanse of water. Sounds simple but it was amazing how many people missed that green and put their ball in the water. I'd estimate a good 60% of the players we saw put a ball in the drink.

I personally stuffed my tee shot right so was blocked out, but a simple chip out and found the back of the green with a wedge to make a bogey. My mate went completely Tin Cup and drowned three balls right of the green before giving up. :LOL:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not certain
Never played the Old Course but the 18th is certainly atmospheric.

I might go for the 4th on Gullane 2. I played a lot of my early golf here as it was always possible to get a tee time at a reasonable price when I was learning golf and lived in Edinburgh, and it is still one of my favourite courses though regrettably not cheap any more.

You have just climbed uphill on the third which is a slightly tedious hole and suddenly the whole vista opens up with great views over to Aberlady bay and across to Fife and you really feel you're in golfing country and the rest of the course is a joy.
The hole doesn't really suit me as I am a short hitter and it is a long par 4 but get a good drive away, it's a wide fairway and you have a decision as to how you're going to negotiate a diagonal string of bunkers short of the green, getting a par here is hugely satisfying.

https://www.gullanegolfclub.co.uk/course_no.2_hole_4

AussieKB

Visit site
Can't really pick a favourite but just from this year, the 18th at Silvermere was fun. More to watch from the bar than to play though. It's basically a 170-ish lay-up then a 100-110 wedge to the green over a big expanse of water. Sounds simple but it was amazing how many people missed that green and put their ball in the water. I'd estimate a good 60% of the players we saw put a ball in the drink.

I personally stuffed my tee shot right so was blocked out, but a simple chip out and found the back of the green with a wedge to make a bogey. My mate went completely Tin Cup and drowned three balls right of the green before giving up. :LOL:
Has been 30 years since I played Silvermere, do they still have the par 5 that is a snake hole

simsini

Visit site
The 18th at Kapalua Plantation. Only 677 yards off the back tees, but all downhill sweeping to the left. If you catch the drive right, it can go around 400 yards. Played here on my honeymoon and nearly hit the green in 2. Combined with the 550 yard, par 4 17th, this must be one of the longest finishes in golf.

Kapalua%20(Plantation)%2018th%202022.jpg

AussieKB

Visit site
Not sure which one you mean. There were a few par 5s, a couple of which I was not a huge fan.
From memory it doglegged to the right then to the left, they bragged that it had never been eagle d.....
but that was back in the 80's, I was working in Croyden back then and we we would leave early and play there or Selsdon Park

sunshine

Visit site
The 18th at Kapalua Plantation. Only 677 yards off the back tees, but all downhill sweeping to the left. If you catch the drive right, it can go around 400 yards. Played here on my honeymoon and nearly hit the green in 2. Combined with the 550 yard, par 4 17th, this must be one of the longest finishes in golf.

Kapalua%20(Plantation)%2018th%202022.jpg
Another vote for this hole (also played on honeymoon). Close 2nd place on that course is the par three 11th with the infinity green and stunning backdrop

sunshine

Visit site
My favourite holes are usually shortish par threes from an elevated tee. The hole is laid out in front of you, nothing hidden, you get a good view of the bunkers framing the green. Lots of examples of this, but the very best ones also feature a beautiful backdrop too. The 7th at Pebble is a great example, but I can only post the holes I've played:

11th at Kapalua:
1689248048738.png

5th at Loch Lomond:
1689248000807.png

7th at Hadley Wood:
1689248137412.png

2nd on the Duke's at Woburn:
1689248541123.png

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay, so having played quite a few courses over these last two years, in The Netherlands, Scotland, and the UK, I have defined a favorite golf hole of mine. Of course, this is likely subject to change. But for me, right now, it's ' Loup Ower' the third hole at Kinghorn Golf Club, in Kinghorn Scotland.

Loup Ower
After climbing up onto a high ridge by playing the opening two holes, one reaches the third tee. Overlooking the entire course, Kinghorn town, all the way down to the North Sea, the Firth estuary, Inchkeith Island with its lighthouse, and - on a clear day - all the way to Edinburgh. It's a long par 3, at 156 to 205 yards depending on the tee. The shot goes angled downhill over another fairway and a traditional stone wall to a relatively small green. Danger awaits in all directions, but it's not unfair, a slight miss isn't punished too heavily. When I played it, in gale force winds, I overshot the green slightly left and managed an easy bogey.

Yes, I know there are more dramatic holes (The Rockies at Anstruther comes to mind) and many prettier ones (a few on Cornwall spring to mind, Mullion, Carlyon Bay) - but for me, this is the hole I would love to play every morning just to get the day started.

So, please share: what's your favourite hole and why?
Played Kinghorn last night in biblical rain. The 3rd is an ok hole. Bit of a gimmick with the dyke running across the front of the green coming in from that height and distance. Maybe I have just played it so many times that it starts to lack any special qualities.

I think they got a bit licensed with their poetry saying you can see out to the North Sea... It's still a fair bit off from there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From memory it doglegged to the right then to the left, they bragged that it had never been eagle d.....
but that was back in the 80's, I was working in Croyden back then and we we would leave early and play there or Selsdon Park
That actually sounds most like the 1st hole.

Klimski

Visit site
I guess part of my fascination is due to the elevation, coming from the flattest country on the planet (to all intents and purposes). I do think that one can see the North Sea, unless there's another stretch of water between the coast and the actual North Sea...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick Google and it's the 11th. The trees are all huge now. When I was last there they were saplings. Not a great hole, but a tough one. I remember Silvermere when the 2nd hole came up what is now the driving range and it was only 9 holes on one side of the road.
Ah, yes. I do remember the 11th - my drive went in the left rough and was then blocked out by a run of trees, so had to kind of punch it through and then whack it over the ditch with the next one. Funnily enough all three of my mates went in that ditch, it was wider than it looked. 😆 Best anyone did was double bogey. 580 yards off yellows. 😨

Funny, I remember thinking it had a vibe of two sets of nine built at different times. We loved the first 6 or 7 and the last two holes, real Augusta vibe in places. The holes over the road were not as enjoyable.