Courses with great opening and closing holes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Aguilon.

A very tough par 4 to start. A drive over a small lake, leaving a mid iron into a very tough green - don't miss right.

The 18th is a short par 5. How brave are you? A lake up the right, that if you take a chunk off will give you a mid iron to the green. And then you have another lake up the left all the way to a long narrow green. An easy par 5, and a chance of a 4 playing it safely. A good drive biting a bit of the first lake off will give a good chance of being on in two but...a fabulous risk and reward hole if you're chasing down a good score.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Montecastillo, just outside of Jerez.

The 1st is pretty good, the 18th is truly world class ........................... my favourite 18th of all.

Visit site
Moortown I’ve always liked, easyish par 5 to start if you get a good drive away but 18th is a great finishing hole. the PGA Centenary at Gleneagles cos I birdied both, but Birkdale has to be right up there for 1st and 18th.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 1st across the beach at Machrihanish is outstanding can't recall the last..... the 18th at Trump International is the best finishing hole I've ever played.... but can't recall the 1st

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The 1st across the beach at Machrihanish is outstanding can't recall the last..... the 18th at Trump International is the best finishing hole I've ever played.... but can't recall the 1st

Last is guff at Machrihanish.

Very short hole.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
H'mm! I'm not into the concept 'great' for 1st holes. I'm inclined to follow Old Tom's idea of 1 or 2 warm-up ones before the real tough ones need to be tackled. And, generally, Harry Colt had the same approach. 18ths however should be a bit memorable! Blackmoor could well qualify, as could Bearwood Lakes.

St Enedoc certainly qualifies for a great pair. Mill Ride, my old course that has been in the news for non-golf reasons, has a pair that qualify for my preference. 1st is a gentle warm-up for those of us that don't, while those that do can potentially eagle it; 18th from the appropriate tee can be a real tempter. Carnoustie is another of 'my style'. Muirfield comes close to either preference!

For a 'challenging' start and finish though, it's hard to beat the pair at The Shire! Unfortunately, 18th is out of my range these days, but for a couple of the guys I play with it's do-able but dangerous!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Birkdale in my opinion has the best opening and closing holes I have played as a pair. Think the first is the best opening hole on the Open rota and the 18th can be a brute into the wind.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I really like Porthcawl in this category... the opening hole with the sea all along the left side, the view across the course, good bunkering and big slope up to a tricky green. The last, OB and clubhouse left, played directly towards the sea, with the green nearly on the beach. Big crater in front and plenty of trouble... wind (as ever) makes massive difference... I've played it 3 wood and wedge, and also 2 woods that didnt reach!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

It's interesting reading what people define as great holes. The opening hole on a course should not be overly difficult, it should ease the player into the round in a fairly gentle manner, offering the chance of a birdie or a fairly straightforward par. Holes like the 1st on Saunton East are really crap opening holes, the average club golfer is likely to start their round with a bogey or possibly much worse. It is a very good hole but not as an opener.

The Fader

Visit site
Two that come to mind that haven't been mentioned - St. Mellion (especially when 18th pin is tucked away back left) and Headingley. The 17th at Headingley is also a belter of a par 3