Course you’d most like another ‘crack’ at...

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played the Ailsa at Turnberry in June this year in a club match, weather was so bad we only played 6 holes. Would love another shot at the revamped course.

As it turns out I have an invite for next Tuesday but was meant to be playing Western Gailes that day in the Alliance -- dilema ??

D

Deleted member 17920

Royal Dornoch for me.

Although I enjoyed it I just didn't get it straight away, for a course that is so high in the ratings I am clearly missing something.

I need to and play it again to appreciate it I think.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Orange County National Crooked Cat course we played couple of days after USPGA tour school.
Four single figure golfers played off tips ,big mistake.
coudnt get on the par fours with a wood.
7600 yds damp am conditions.
Driver on some par threes.
So now we play nearest tee box to 6500yds.

ps Frank Lictlighter shot 26 under that year to win different game!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played the Ailsa at Turnberry in June this year in a club match, weather was so bad we only played 6 holes. Would love another shot at the revamped course.

As it turns out I have an invite for next Tuesday but was meant to be playing Western Gailes that day in the Alliance -- dilema ??

You go to Gailes I'll take your invite to Turnberry?

Turnberry all day long with the changes. Andy Mc says its outstanding.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

No contest! In fact, play Turnberry even if it's the Kintyre course! ;)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You go to Gailes I'll take your invite to Turnberry?

Turnberry all day long with the changes. Andy Mc says its outstanding.

No dilemma Turnberry all day.

The new course is outstanding simple as that.

No contest! In fact, play Turnberry even if it's the Kintyre course! ;)

The Kintyre would be free, £60 for Ailsa, still great value.

I have plumped for Western :smirk: had kind of committed to that. Have been told that we can get a game at another time, I also have a client who plays there and is threatening to invite me. So hopefully, fingers crossed, there will be other opportunities.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Orange County National Crooked Cat course we played couple of days after USPGA tour school.
Four single figure golfers played off tips ,big mistake.
coudnt get on the par fours with a wood.
7600 yds damp am conditions.
Driver on some par threes.
So now we play nearest tee box to 6500yds.

ps Frank Lictlighter shot 26 under that year to win different game!

6500 round most Florida courses I find a decent test without being a slog. A couple of years since I played Crooked Cat as I much prefer it's neighbour.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to add......I think it does make a big difference to have 'another crack' at some courses. I wasn't blown away by my first experience at West Lancs. Not overly welcoming, course in Winter was good, but I didn't really get the hype. However, I played it again with Val in an open this Summer and was blown away by how good the course was. Everyone at the club was also very welcoming. Same can be said for a St Annes Old Links. The more you play it, the better it gets.

I'd also like to have another crack at Murcar......just so I don't 6 putt, and I fancy my chances for a good score around there.

U

User62651

Old Course for me too.
Was 4 degrees C but dry and windy, played it pretty well for the conditions (having a right to left shot shape helps a lot there). Arrived at 17th tee in good shape - iconic hole, fancied it but totally topped drive into rough then slapped a hybrid OOB into the hotel grounds, took an 8 and then bogeyed the last with a very poor second, crap end to a decent round. Need another go!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perranporth for me, really enjoyed it but lost a few(!) balls, not knowing the lines and didn't play great

Conversely (and maybe perversely) there's a couple of courses I'm reluctant to go back to after having just perfect days there - they couldn't possibly be as good next time
(Namely Nefyn & West Cornwall) - perfect sunny days with the courses nearly empty, I know some think they're a bit Mickey Mouse with holes crossing over and beach goers etc but we never noticed at all

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to add......I think it does make a big difference to have 'another crack' at some courses. I wasn't blown away by my first experience at West Lancs. Not overly welcoming, course in Winter was good, but I didn't really get the hype. However, I played it again with Val in an open this Summer and was blown away by how good the course was. Everyone at the club was also very welcoming. Same can be said for a St Annes Old Links. The more you play it, the better it gets.

I'd also like to have another crack at Murcar......just so I don't 6 putt, and I fancy my chances for a good score around there.

100% agree on the West Lance thoughts, I was well impressed with it in August.

Maybe worth considering a half shift off again next summer bud? Maybe try and get a few of us together

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Kintyre would be free, £60 for Ailsa, still great value.

I have plumped for Western :smirk: had kind of committed to that. Have been told that we can get a game at another time, I also have a client who plays there and is threatening to invite me. So hopefully, fingers crossed, there will be other opportunities.

In fairness, I should probably put Western Gailles on my list so I can play it off a decent set of tees but the frosty reception doesn't have me rushing back either.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
100% agree on the West Lance thoughts, I was well impressed with it in August.

Maybe worth considering a half shift off again next summer bud? Maybe try and get a few of us together

:thup: Top idea. Well worth it. I'll keep nick for when they open the sheet.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
St Mellion Nicklaus play it if you can, a reak tough test.

Would love to play Sunningdale Old again, Beautiful course just wish i coud have played better.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd like to play the Kings Course at Gleneagles again. I played it last December and the weather was really poor.

However, I played the Old Course at St Andrews the following day in glorious winter sunshine so it was far from a wasted trip.