Is it likely this course has a sss of 56?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After the recommendation of someone here I’ve started using the Golf Handicapp app. The municipal course I play is recognised on the app but didn’t have a sss attached to it.

The app requires a sss when you’re inputting your scores for the course. I just made up a sss of 70 for when I input my scores. However, recently it seems to have created its own sss, and has the course at 56.

Does 56 sound feasible? It seems very low to me. It’s a 9 hole course par 37, so double up would be par 74. Across 18 holes there would be only two par 3 holes, and four par 5s. I don’t really know what factors go into a sss but there are a few burns and loads of very thick rough and woods. It’s probably not a very challenging course for good golfers but missing the fairway means a very high likelihood of lost balls on almost every hole.

D

Deleted member 1147

It doesn’t seem likely.

Doesn’t it tell you the sss on the scorecard?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It almost certainly hasn't been rated yet under the USGA system. If you can give m e name I can confirm it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't appear in the National Course Rating Database so would not appear to have been rated recently and still refers to the Scottish Golf Union.
But doesn't a course have to be a minimum of 3000 yards to qualify for a rating? It claims 2969

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It doesn't appear in the National Course Rating Database so would not appear to have been rated recently and still refers to the Scottish Golf Union.
But doesn't a course have to be a minimum of 3000 yards to qualify for a rating? It claims 2969

I’ve no idea. But according to the council website and Scottish golf courses website it’s over 3000.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
3523 (7046 over 18 holes)

There seems to be some confusion here.
On the Website it says 3253 for the men and 2412 for the ladies.
Whichever is right, it will NOT be SSS 56.
Not on your nelly, or my nelly or anybody elses nelly

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion here.
On the Website it says 3253 for the men and 2412 for the ladies.
Whichever is right, it will NOT be SSS 56.
Not on your nelly, or my nelly or anybody elses nelly

lol. I’m taking it as a sss 74. It makes me feel better 🙂

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't say the SSS is 37 on the picture you have included. It says the Par is 37. They are not the same thing.
The par is simply the sum of the pars for all the holes. The SSS is the measure of difficulty of the whole course,taking length, position and nature of obstacles (bunkers, water, trees), grass length, green sizes etc into account.

An 18 hole course consisting of 18 300 yard par 4s has a course par of 72
An 18 hole course consisting of 18 450 yard par 4s has a course par of 72

Would they really have the same SSS?

Using a USGA 'temporary rating' formula, 18 holes on this this course would have an SSS of about 71.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It doesn't say the SSS is 37 on the picture you have included. It says the Par is 37. They are not the same thing.
The par is simply the sum of the pars for all the holes. The SSS is the measure of difficulty of the whole course,taking length, position and nature of obstacles (bunkers, water, trees), grass length, green sizes etc into account.

An 18 hole course consisting of 18 300 yard par 4s has a course par of 72
An 18 hole course consisting of 18 450 yard par 4s has a course par of 72

Would they really have the same SSS?

Using a USGA 'temporary rating' formula, 18 holes on this this course would have an SSS of about 71.

I was referring to the link you posted which said the course sss was 37 (thus 74 for 18 holes) but you thought it would be less than that. Which is why I asked.

https://www.scottishgolf.org/coursedirectory/listing/polkemmet-golf-club