Is it likely this course has a sss of 56?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cool thanks. Yeah the misinformation confused things a little. How did you find that out?
emailed them at the council office
I have now spoken to a contact in Scottish Golf and have the following from their Course Ratings

Tees Length SSS
White 6506 73
Yellow 6270 72

This suggests that the difficulty (ie obstacles etc) factor is pretty high

PS I suspect the the council information came from someone not that knowledgeable about golf or the course

Last edited:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
emailed them at the council office
I have now spoken to a contact in Scottish Golf and have the following from their Course Ratings

Tees Length SSS
White 6506 73
Yellow 6270 72

This suggests that the difficulty (ie obstacles etc) factor is pretty high

PS I suspect the the council information came from someone not that knowledgeable about golf or the course

Well now I’m more confused than I was before 😂

There are only yellow tees (and reds), although they move around the tee boxes with maybe 10 or 15 yards difference from front placement to back.

Also those distances don’t seem to correspond with any of the previous yardages or with what’s written on the scorecard.

Somebody somewhere has incorrect information but god knows who. At least we can be sure that it’s not a sss 56!

Whilst the course doesn’t have fairway bunkers, it does have some greenside bunkers, and burns. The rough on either side of the fairways (and behind the greens) are jungles.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) They may only put the white out for (major) competitions
2) I didn't ask when the rating was last done
3) The card image (your post #16) shows 3253 which equals 6506 for 18.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1) They may only put the white out for (major) competitions
2) I didn't ask when the rating was last done
3) The card image (your post #16) shows 3253 which equals 6506 for 18.

Don’t think they do competitions at this place. Never seen one or heard of one in the two years I’ve been going. There’s never any posts on Facebook unless there’s a private group for members.

Thanks for checking that out. It’s good to know. I won’t feel so bad when I plant my next drive on the first into the woods and finish with a quadruple bogey! 🙂

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t think they do competitions at this place. Never seen one or heard of one in the two years I’ve been going. There’s never any posts on Facebook unless there’s a private group for members.

Thanks for checking that out. It’s good to know. I won’t feel so bad when I plant my next drive on the first into the woods and finish with a quadruple bogey! 🙂

This all seems very strange. There doesn't seem to be any organisation, proper scorecards with SSS, and apparently no competitions. SGU shows the course as being affiliated but who paid the affiliation fee and on what membership basis? Somebody somewhere must know something.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This all seems very strange. There doesn't seem to be any organisation, proper scorecards with SSS, and apparently no competitions. SGU shows the course as being affiliated but who paid the affiliation fee and on what membership basis? Somebody somewhere must know something.

It's a municipal owned by West Lothian Council part of a larger County Park. The course is managed by West Lothian Leisure.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a municipal owned by West Lothian Council part of a larger County Park. The course is managed by West Lothian Leisure.

Yeah but it’s been bought over by Xcite Leisure this year. Not sure how that works exactly as I think they are some kind of private/council partnership. I don’t think that’ll change anything tho as they aren’t golf focused. They do the usual gyms and swimming pool kind of stuff.

I didn’t know the course existed until I came across by accident.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
West Lothian Leisure is your local Community Leisure Trust and is a member of Community Leisure Uk.

The Trust invests every penny generated back into community services and facilities.

We have invested over £14 million back into the Trust over the last 20 years, operating Xcite Venues and more recently Howden Park Centre, The Low Port Centre, Polkemment Golf and Driving Range as well as leisure facilities in local secondary schools.

We are one of the lowest public funded trusts in Scotland.

In 2018 we won Gold in the 2018 UK Customer Experience Awards, the only Leisure Operator in Scotland to receive a Gold award!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want a seriously interesting, quality 9 hole course (with very different tees for each 9), try Crow Nest Park, Brighouse.
SSS 69, Slope 127. But trickier than it seems.