Complete swing failure

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had this with my new irons last week for the first 50 balls.

Shanks everywhere!

What I found though, was that for some reason I was incredibly tense and was decelerating through the downswing.

Had a sit down for 10 mins and a cup of coffee and came back more relaxed and hit them brilliantly after that.

Don’t panic, it’ll come back!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One day at the range. You are doing well. For me it was 6 months at the range and it became so bad that I did go on a course 5 of those months. For every 100 yards forward I was 50 yards right so drives were disappearing OB on the other side of adjoining fairways.

It was pre video days and I reckon had it been in this modern era it would have been solve with on video lesson. My swing used to be so fast that the pro could not see where it was coming from. When I finally worked out where it was coming from I cured it within minutes.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think we need to start a support group judging by these posts! Glad I’m not alone.

I love hitting good strikes. To me it’s only the start. When I play golf I want to be thinking about strategy and layout, and club selection. Not if I can hit the ball or not.

Golf sure is a cruel game.

This is exactly what happens to me about 50% of the times I go to the driving range. I haven't figured it out either. Doesn't happen on the course (touch wood) but hitting irons down at the driving range there's a 50% chance I'll hit a stone cold shank or a top. I just don't hit irons at the range anymore. Problem solved!

lol. What is about ranges! I think there is a mental block when standing over the ball on a mat.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
lol. What is about ranges! I think there is a mental block when standing over the ball on a mat.
I wish I knew. Around Christmas time I went down the range once, intending to work on the hybrid I'd just bought, but I always tend to warm up with a mid-iron. Except the shanks and tops came, which was annoying, so I ended up wasting about 25 balls trying to hit a decent one when it should have been just 10 balls to warm up. I thought it was because it's not target-orientated, so I tried stepping away and approaching it as if it was a proper golf shot, but that didn't help either. I couldn't put my finger on it at all. I nearly posted a topic exactly like this one but never got round to it.

The first time it happened I was really worried that it would carry on that weekend on the course, but it didn't, I was fine. So now I don't really worry if it happens. And I barely go to the range anymore since it's clearly a waste of time and money. Pay a fiver, hit 50 shanks and come home angry, great value for money.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It sure is infuriating. Do you hit a lot of fat shots by any chance?
On the course I sometimes hit it a bit thin or a bit fat. More on the longer irons which I find more difficult. Or when the course is muddy and soft and I go straight under the ball with a wedge.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder if it’s a weight transfer thing and maybe hanging back too much on the downswing. I don’t hit many thin but fats and getting underneath when it’s wet I can do the same. On the mat were probably punished more.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A simple test is to set up in front of a mirror and watch to see if your head moves on the backswing.
This can also be done with the sun behind you and watch your shadow.
I would say 90% of poor contact is probably caused by a sway onto the back foot.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we need to start a support group judging by these posts! Glad I’m not alone.

I love hitting good strikes. To me it’s only the start. When I play golf I want to be thinking about strategy and layout, and club selection. Not if I can hit the ball or not.

Golf sure is a cruel game.

During my lesson last week I actually exclaimed to my pro that golf cannot be this hard. Millions play and many to single figures so there has to be a fairly simple fix. And that’s the thing. If you are struggling the fix may well be simple. Finding it is the hard thing.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to the range again last night and the shanks returned.

Made a few changes to my setup, took a firmer base and tried to restrict movement. I then ensured my left arm stayed straight and didn't overswing. Seemed to do the trick and by the end was hitting the ball great. Just hope it continues for the next little while...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went to the range again last night and the shanks returned.

Made a few changes to my setup, took a firmer base and tried to restrict movement. I then ensured my left arm stayed straight and didn't overswing. Seemed to do the trick and by the end was hitting the ball great. Just hope it continues for the next little while...
Glad you found something. I'm also working on a firmer base as the left knee has been getting jiggy. Good ones are good but I have to remember to make a full shoulder turn or there are issues

D

Deleted member 21258

Couple weekends ago, couldn't hit a driver on a fairway if my life depended on it, yesterday it was a top notch and hit loads of fairways.

Happens to everyone, golf is a game of fine margins, 2-4 degrees out and you have allsorts of problems.

I concluded for me golf is a just a game of chance.:LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple weekends ago, couldn't hit a driver on a fairway if my life depended on it, yesterday it was a top notch and hit loads of fairways.

Happens to everyone, golf is a game of fine margins, 2-4 degrees out and you have allsorts of problems.

I concluded for me golf is a just a game of chance.:LOL:
It's almost like having multiple personality disorder sometimes. One of my personalities is a steady 12 handicapper, unfortunately the other personality is a blind amputee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's almost like having multiple personality disorder sometimes. One of my personalities is a steady 12 handicapper, unfortunately the other personality is a blind amputee.
Tell me about it. I can usually play steady (33+ points) or it'll be a disaster and 24-25 points. No middle ground. I can even start a hole serenely enough and end it thrashing about like a demented octopus on speed

Wolf

Visit site
Tell me about it. I can usually play steady (33+ points) or it'll be a disaster and 24-25 points. No middle ground. I can even start a hole serenely enough and end it thrashing about like a demented octopus on speed
Know that feeling Homer, I tend get a case of the Spieths , if my Driver is working my putting has more misses than a blind man trying to throw a dart into a bullseye from 900 paces. If my driver decides to send ball into a different post code, then I can perform escape shots and up downs that Seve would be proud of and the hole becomes about 9 feet in circumference, however can I put the 2 together at the moment answer's a strong No definetly not.

At the moment I score so much better when I hit the ball badly but when I hit the ball well and enjoy the way I hit the ball my scoring makes you wonder why you bothered. Currently there is no middle ground but maybe one day who knows.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
This happened to me a few weeks ago, just forget and move forward...there are likely to be underlying reasons that you've overlooked.

I stopped in the Belfry the other day after 5.5 hours of driving to break up my journey, hit 10 in a row off the hosel and i've never done that in my life.

I walked away from the balls and went and did some chipping and putting for an hour instead which was my priority anyway.

Literally two days later hit 20 balls on the range to loosen up prior to my round and played out of my skin.

I can only put it down to fatigue from poor posture being sat in the car for so long.