Course ratings.

Visit site
It's subjective, but think there has to be an element of golfing politics going on. It always seems like the old Tournament venues, stuffy 2 ball clubs and Links courses are artificially high on any list.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's subjective, but think there has to be an element of golfing politics going on. It always seems like the old Tournament venues, stuffy 2 ball clubs and Links courses are artificially high on any list.
A few on here think politics, bungs, backhanders, personal favours etc come into it but they are wrong.

Siolag

Visit site

You’d think that those near the top know that they’ll seldom move too far down the list. You’d also think, that if they weren’t on the list, it would make no difference to the footfall they get. Therefore surely all these courses need to do is to continue as they are doing, with the exception perhaps of making sure clubhouses are reasonably good. The iconic holes will still be iconic, provided the green staff keep the place in good nick.

Could a club try and go for “top 100”? Possibly, but if they are a long way off, the cost probably isn’t worth the reward. If they are there they just need to continue.

Interesting to see how much change there is in the actual courses making up the 100 year on year. I suspect the top 20 is largely the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You’d think that those near the top know that they’ll seldom move too far down the list. You’d also think, that if they weren’t on the list, it would make no difference to the footfall they get. Therefore surely all these courses need to do is to continue as they are doing, with the exception perhaps of making sure clubhouses are reasonably good. The iconic holes will still be iconic, provided the green staff keep the place in good nick.

Could a club try and go for “top 100”? Possibly, but if they are a long way off, the cost probably isn’t worth the reward. If they are there they just need to continue.

Interesting to see how much change there is in the actual courses making up the 100 year on year. I suspect the top 20 is largely the same.
I don't know about clubs "going" for the top 100 but more a case of build it and they will come surely unless you go down the exclusivity path of some which the GM poll would then exclude. I'd be more interested if I was rated in the top 101-150 and worried if I was at the bottom of the 100 list and seeing if I could break in/retain my place. I do think, rightly or wrongly depending on your viewpoint that clubs do trade of their inclusion in these lists and so it must help with reputation and I suppose ultimately people wanting to play it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Close House is a good example of this. I am not saying they targetted top 100 status alone but go back a few years and this was a university owned piece of land, golf course included. Nothing about it screamed top 100 course. A rich individual bought it, created two courses from what was there, built a brand new clubhouse, driving range etc. All high standard and with the aim of getting a tournament, being a top course. I don't know how much it has cost but they have achieved a great deal, British Masters, top 100 status.

Is it worth the reward? Very good question. It all depends how much money the person has to start with but I don't see that a members club could have done this. The owner really has put a lot of money into the place, created a cracking set up as well.

D

Deleted member 21258

That’s the beauty of the lists

For me RCP is excellent but would still have Porthcawl and Hoylake above it but there are all still top 50 courses

For me I’m amazed that there is a better course in the UK than RCD

Porthcawl I was disappointed with the condition it was not great( especially for a top 25 course), and a number of the tee shots fairly un-testing/uninteresting, with wide fairways and not much danger/bunkers in play. Shots to the greens were brilliant tho, so was left with a feeling it was a shot to the greens course. Clubhouse is marmite and car park was nice. As you say all top courses, I'm just being picky and iirc for the £75 incl bacon roll I paid, I left more than happy and would play again.

Never played RCD, would like to one day but probably never will, the pictures of it look breath-taking and don't think I have ever heard anyone have a bad word about it. Your lucky having played that course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Porthcawl I was disappointed with the condition it was not great( especially for a top 25 course), and a number of the tee shots fairly un-testing/uninteresting, with wide fairways and not much danger/bunkers in play. Shots to the greens were brilliant tho, so was left with a feeling it was a shot to the greens course. Clubhouse is marmite and car park was nice. As you say all top courses, I'm just being picky and iirc for the £75 incl bacon roll I paid, I left more than happy and would play again.

Never played RCD, would like to one day but probably never will, the pictures of it look breath-taking and don't think I have ever heard anyone have a bad word about it. Your lucky having played that course.
What time of year did you play it?

D

Deleted member 15344

Surprised about Porthcawl as each time I have played it was in superb condition - once in March time and once in September which was just after they did some work on the greens. I can see exactly what you mean about a shot to the green course but that’s prob fair on a good number of links

In regards RCD - it’s the best course I have played I doubt there is a course I will play that will beat it - the setting is amazing with the backdrop of the mountains one side and the Irish Sea the other , every hole a test of your abilities , you need to really concentrate, some blind tee shots which some won’t like , and conditioning wise it was just perfect.
If you get a chance jump on it straight away

D

Deleted member 21258

I played a top 50 course yesterday that had me scratching my head.

Always liked guessing games :D, can I have a guess please, had a feeling it was Prestwick yesterday and think your hints fits.

Due to play it soon, please say it was top notch and I haven't wasted my money :p

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Get over there in early November, like we did, when the course is still in good nick, but price comes down massively. We also played Ballyliffin, Portrush for a lot less, also.

I thought the little old-fashioned wooden bar overlooking the sea at Porthcawl was boss.

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Close House is a good example of this. I am not saying they targetted top 100 status alone but go back a few years and this was a university owned piece of land, golf course included. Nothing about it screamed top 100 course. A rich individual bought it, created two courses from what was there, built a brand new clubhouse, driving range etc. All high standard and with the aim of getting a tournament, being a top course. I don't know how much it has cost but they have achieved a great deal, British Masters, top 100 status.

Is it worth the reward? Very good question. It all depends how much money the person has to start with but I don't see that a members club could have done this. The owner really has put a lot of money into the place, created a cracking set up as well.

I think some courses would make more money if top 100, overall, although proximity to others could also make a difference.

Lets face it the silly prices getting charged are for the American/Japanese/european market, so the UK golfer is getting priced out more and more, so would think that the foreigners doing a trip may pick an area that has at least 2-3 courses also in the top 100, but Close house doesnt have many near.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always liked guessing games :D, can I have a guess please, had a feeling it was Prestwick yesterday and think your hints fits.

Due to play it soon, please say it was top notch and I haven't wasted my money :p

I love it, but could see why some may see it as a marmite course.(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think some courses would make more money if top 100, overall, although proximity to others could also make a difference.

Lets face it the silly prices getting charged are for the American/Japanese/european market, so the UK golfer is getting priced out more and more, so would think that the foreigners doing a trip may pick an area that has at least 2-3 courses also in the top 100, but Close house doesnt have many near.
Without knowing, just observing, Close House is looking mainly at a domestic market. It has gone heavily for the corporate market and targetted the wealthy of the area. They have made it the go to club in this part of the world, by some way. The geographical isolation of it in regards to other high end courses means that it does stand alone and so getting Americans etc to include it in their tour is unlikely. It could tie up better with Slaley Hall but the reality is that neither are world renowned and have the kudos to add them onto an Americans bucket list. I think they have been quite smart in realising what they can achieve and what is unrealistic.

The good news is that this means you can get on there at a decent price if you box clever and the stay and play packages are excellent, very strong indeed.