Course ratings.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brabazon off the back tees is some test and condition is always very good. Green complexes offer great variety and challenge too. Only 11 really is weak if anything - great par 4s on front nine.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I suspected the Brabazon would come up... I was playing it on 9/11, all the stands were up for the Ryder Cup t"hat never was." So it always makes me think of that.

Went back a few years ago. The place does an air about it, since the rebuild the weaker holes have been beefed up nicely.

Pass through the generic hotel and bar, once on the 1st tee it does have something about it. You'll think about 10 and 18 long before you get there...

Top 100? I can live with it in, but wouldn't cry if it was booted out.

Bit like the 2010 course down my way. Some locals don't even think it's the best course in Newport!

But that's the point, it's an inexact science....and I think that's ok.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I suspected the Brabazon would come up... I was playing it on 9/11, all the stands were up for the Ryder Cup t"hat never was." So it always makes me think of that.

Went back a few years ago. The place does an air about it, since the rebuild the weaker holes have been beefed up nicely.

Pass through the generic hotel and bar, once on the 1st tee it does have something about it. You'll think about 10 and 18 long before you get there...

Top 100? I can live with it in, but wouldn't cry if it was booted out.

Bit like the 2010 course down my way. Some locals don't even think it's the best course in Newport!

But that's the point, it's an inexact science....and I think that's ok.
And you are bang on. I have played the Brbazon several times (without the stands) and it does have an air about the place which I'd say is solely based on its heritage. Is that any different to Sunningdale? Both are steeped in history. However I think once you take atmosphere/history out of the equation then either Sunningdale knock spots off the Brabazon. Of the courses below the Belfry, I'd actually put Woburn Duchess above the Belfry in terms of design and playability but that is what makes these lists so subjective and great discussion pieces

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played another top 100 course today that makes a mockery of the rankings and "criteria". To even suggest this track is better than the likes of Western Gailes or even Dundonald is laughable if we're talking design, holes etc etc.

You can have subjectivity all day long but some courses and their rankings are laughable.

Half a story.

sunshine

Visit site
Ok I’ll try

1. The visual look of the course including its surroundings

2. The shape of the holes

3. The bunkering

4. The condition of the course

5. Does the course have that “Wow” as you play it , does it make you smile as you walk around

6. The set up , how the course flows

7. The greens

8. The clubhouse and it’s feel

For example when you drive into Sunningdale you feel you are at a special golf place , the big tree dwarves about the club house which is spectacular, you look down the first and just smile , the course just flows lovely , it’s condition is excellent, the greens perfect , bunkering just at the right areas and the right amount. It’s a course that excites people , makes them want to go back as soon as possible , it’s one that people will always talk about.

When you drive into sunningdale? Is this another review of car park adequacy? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I love the top 100 lists that come out. In the main I'd say they're pretty accurate barring 1 or 2 that l'll raise an eyebrow to. Does it matter if one is at 20 and one that you think is better is at 21? Are people getting bogged down in infinitesimal detail on how many chips came with their burger or if a bunker is in exactly the right place?

There's obviously a difference between #1 on the list and #50 but is there really that much difference between #1 and #10? Does it matter that much that you're playing #1 or #10?

There's an awful lot of people getting their knickers in a right twist over something that's subjective anyway. People say, "xxx should be in the top 100." Are they right or does it matter? They themselves are reinforcing a limit, 100. Does it matter if the course they prefer is 110. And at 110 its probably as good as #80 anyway. Chillax and enjoy the golf course you're on. The top 100 course you've booked might have been hollow tined last week and look like #150 but in a months time might look like #70.

Why all the fuss?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
It helps to compare apples with apples....comparing the Belfry with an old links or a heathland is daft... so, compared with "late 20th century parkland courses like Woburn Marquis or Bearwood Lakes? ........oops, see what I mean.

Take away the Ryder Cup history and it drops like a stone :)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Maybe we need a thread,to vote for the best golf club car park in uk&i

I remember my first drive into St Andrews in 1993, first glimpse of the R&A Clubhouse from way out of town, high excitement from there on in. It was a Sunday, (no play that day) parked in the car park and ran straight on the 1st/18th, just stood and marvelled.

If you don't get that, you don't get golf. (or maybe you're not a saddo like me! :) )

D

Deleted member 21258

Walton Heath both courses above Worplesdon

You are having a laugh

See it’s all subjective 😉

It certainly is subjective, as to have Royal Porthcrawl or Royal Liverpool or Waterville above Tralee and RCP, I think is bordering on the criminal and testers/GM should be locked up for it;):devilish::devilish:

How many courses out of the top 100 have you played LQ, must be getting really high ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
If we're being pedantic, it's Hoist, not hoisted ;):)(y)

I believe either is acceptable in common usage! :)

Back on the thread, I am north of 60 of the top hundred last time I looked, might even be more.... the marginal arguments are what it is all about.... when asked about my favourite course it often changes! Some of them haven't been played for years, so nostalgia kicks in, the way you played and the weather impacts your memories....

I remember playing RStG in a monsoon, getting soaked through.....and loving every minute. 37 points in awful conditions, only to find a 38 already in! :) No one else got over 30! That's golf!

D

Deleted member 1147

I believe either is acceptable in common usage! :)

Back on the thread, I am north of 60 of the top hundred last time I looked, might even be more.... the marginal arguments are what it is all about.... when asked about my favourite course it often changes! Some of them haven't been played for years, so nostalgia kicks in, the way you played and the weather impacts your memories....

I remember playing RStG in a monsoon, getting soaked through.....and loving every minute. 37 points in awful conditions, only to find a 38 already in! :) No one else got over 30! That's golf!
I think best course can be different depending what you think it's best for!
I played Ganton recently, it was very difficult (especially in the wind), and you have to concentrate hard all the way round. This makes it a hard course for me to rank, as I thought it was a great test, well routed, excellent condition etc. But I wouldn't want to play it often (and I played pretty well). West Hill & Little Aston on the other hand were both hugely enjoyable courses which I could imagine myself playing any day of the week. So which would I rank as being the better course?

I've played very poorly at some courses and love them, and would rank them very highly (Hillside for example).
I play most of my golf on a beautiful parkland track - so I can see the love for a parkland, whereas some who play all their golf on heathland or links may not.

It's all so subjective.

ps - Shakespeare wrote "Hoist"

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It certainly is subjective, as to have Royal Porthcrawl or Royal Liverpool or Waterville above Tralee and RCP, I think is bordering on the criminal and testers/GM should be locked up for it;):devilish::devilish:

How many courses out of the top 100 have you played LQ, must be getting really high ?

Totally agree on Tralee, but one marker's score doesnt maketh a top 100 position alone, sadly.

I would have Waterville above RCP although very close.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s the beauty of the lists

For me RCP is excellent but would still have Porthcawl and Hoylake above it but there are all still top 50 courses

For me I’m amazed that there is a better course in the UK than RCD